Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Changed house batteries and have no interior power.

I have a 2002 ItascaHorizon diesel pusher with a 330 Cat. My house batteries were dead and were replaced. I used two golf cart batteries, as I have in the past. This time when I finished I have no house power. I've double checked the connections on the batteries and they are correct. I've checked breakers and fuses and now I don't have a clue. What am I missing?
Horizon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure some of our experts will be along with advice soon. I'm sure you checked already but is the cutout switch for the house batteries turned on? Do you have the proper voltage reading at the batteries?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I show no power whatsoever. When I plug in the shore power I have nothing.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon1 View Post
I show no power whatsoever. When I plug in the shore power I have nothing.
I understand but have you checked the 12v cutoff switch to ensure it's turned on and have you measured the voltage at your batteries? Before beginning the job the 12v cutoff switch should have been turned off and then back on once completed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I looked thru the owners manual and could not find any mention of a 12V cutoff switch. Where would it be located? I'm open for anything.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

On my Itasca DP it is a little red rocker switch located around the right knee of the passenger. It's most visible as you enter the coach and just look to the left of the passenger seat.

The switch is typically used to disconnect the house batteries from the coach during storage so that no phantom loads drain the batteries. It operates a solenoid which may have been tripped if the battery work began without having the switch turned off.

It's a bit of a long shot but should be one of the first things checked... along with measuring the voltage at the batteries to ensure that your new batteries are ready to go. You've said that you've already ensured that they are wired correctly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Are the batteries wired properly, in series not parallel.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I checked the voltage on the batteries prior to install, and I'll look for the 12V cutoff switch tonight. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
doc
Winnebago Owner

Are you sure you picked up all the cables that were in place before you disconnected them? It is very easy to drop one and miss it as you put the others in place. (been there) Go back and take a good look inside the battery compartment and make sure nothing was overlooked.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Batteries are wired in series. I even took a photo of them prior to removing the bad ones. Thanks, I am very capable of screwing that up, thats why the camera on my phone gets used a lot.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On my 02 Horizon the switch is located on the dash just above the generator start switch...It is marked "aux batt"...Make sure it is on...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I"ll check the cables. Why would I not have power when plugged into shore power.?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
On my 02 Horizon the switch is located on the dash just above the generator start switch...It is marked "aux batt"...Make sure it is on...
This is NOT the switch I'm speaking of and I don't think it'll help him. I think the "aux batt" switch connects both sets of batteries (house and chassis) and is only a momentary switch... not one which can be turned on and off. At least this is how it works on my rig.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon1 View Post
I"ll check the cables. Why would I not have power when plugged into shore power.?
Because the power you need is 12v and shore power is 120v. The 12v will come from your inverter which is powered by the 120v. But, if anything is wrong with the inverter or if there's a wiring problem... or if the cutoff switch is in the wrong state... no 12v will pass through to the house.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
This is NOT the switch I'm speaking of and I don't think it'll help him. I think the "aux batt" switch connects both sets of batteries (house and chassis) and is only a momentary switch... not one which can be turned on and off. At least this is how it works on my rig.

rick
That is the switch I am talking about...It disconnects 12v power and that is how it is marked...The switch that connects all the batts is marked "aux start"...I have the same coach...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Quote:
That is the switch I am talking about...It disconnects 12v power and that is how it is marked...The switch that connects all the batts is marked "aux start"...I have the same coach...
Sorry movin-on.

I need to read more carefully.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I'll check all the recommendations. I've repalced the batteries before with no issues. Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Movin on, was right on. I checked the Aux Battery switch several times, but after Movin on recommended to check it again, BINGO, instant power. Thank you everyone, very helpful forum.