Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Some time ago an RVer asked on one of the forums, "why did't RVers use the CB more, whether channel 13 or 19". I have a 2004 Meridian and have been trying for two years to get the SWR down below 1:8 so I could use my CB. I have talked to Winnebago, who referred me to the antenna manufacturer, who claimed Winnebago didn't install it right. Talked to a CB shop in Tulsa, who claimed the antenna wasn't installed with the proper ground plane. The chrome adjusting rings can be ran clear to the top or down to the bottom and anywhere inbetween with very little change. Has anyone been able to use the Winnebago installed CB antenna or have you just junked it as another Winnebago blunder. This is my first Winnebago after 16 years with 3 different Fleetwoods and in 2 years have had more problems than the previous 16 years. The Winnebago floor plan was the main selling point and I'm trying very hard to keep an up-beat attitude but its getting more difficult every time I use this coach. I've always had a CB in my coaches and would very much like to continue using one, so any help would be greatly appreciated - at least other than drilling a hole in the side of the coach and installing a different antenna. Thanks loads.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some time ago an RVer asked on one of the forums, "why did't RVers use the CB more, whether channel 13 or 19". I have a 2004 Meridian and have been trying for two years to get the SWR down below 1:8 so I could use my CB. I have talked to Winnebago, who referred me to the antenna manufacturer, who claimed Winnebago didn't install it right. Talked to a CB shop in Tulsa, who claimed the antenna wasn't installed with the proper ground plane. The chrome adjusting rings can be ran clear to the top or down to the bottom and anywhere inbetween with very little change. Has anyone been able to use the Winnebago installed CB antenna or have you just junked it as another Winnebago blunder. This is my first Winnebago after 16 years with 3 different Fleetwoods and in 2 years have had more problems than the previous 16 years. The Winnebago floor plan was the main selling point and I'm trying very hard to keep an up-beat attitude but its getting more difficult every time I use this coach. I've always had a CB in my coaches and would very much like to continue using one, so any help would be greatly appreciated - at least other than drilling a hole in the side of the coach and installing a different antenna. Thanks loads.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 02-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

On the '04 Journey we were able to get those standing waves adjusted with the rings...
My brother has the Journey now and has been all over the U.S. with no problems.
I've been on the roof of the Vectra and seen what looks like the same antenna,but haven't messed with it.

Maybe try another opinion from another CB shop,or if this is a shop you trust,at this point maybe try another antenna?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had no problem using the adjustment rings. Make sure MH is away from any buildings or trees when making adjustment.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks Fellows - will definitely try away from the trees, and mentioning that, the rear of the MH is setting under high lines running down the alley. Will try the adjustments the next time I have it out of the yard, but that makes it harder to reach the antenna for adjustment - but whatever it will take to solve this problem. Thanks again you all.
Wasgonmaster2
Old 02-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Wagonmaster....move that coach!!

My guess is that once you move the coach away from those wires your SWR's will improve dramatically.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You need to be in the open to adjust SWR
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've used the OEM CB antenna from the start with no problems/noise at all. ...never have got around to checking the SWR (yeah, I know I should, but haven't...)
Old 02-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

So who knows how to adjust SWR what is needed or should just go to a shop. My CB cuts in an out while transmitting or drifts out Thanks anyone,never had problem on other three coaches. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
So who knows how to adjust SWR what is needed or should just go to a shop. My CB cuts in an out while transmitting or drifts out Thanks anyone,never had problem on other three coaches. "007" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will need an open space to park in, a ladder, allen wrench and an SWR meter. You can get by without an SWR meter by using the transmit meter built into your radio and adjusting the antenna so the power readings are the same or close to the same on channel 1 and 40.

I have not done this in over 20 years I wonder if my meter is still any good. I will probably find out shortly as the new radio that came with my 95 Vectra is dead shorted and I will be replacing it with my 30 year old Cobra shortly.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-24-2006, 03:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I did manage to get my SWR down to about 1.5:1 in the middle of the band on my Winnie-installed antenna but as usual, the SWR is a little higher at the edges of the band. The antenna is only going to be resonant at ONE frequency so when you adjust the antenna, choose channel 21 or 22 which is the center of the band.

It is interesting to note that the Winnie manual illustrates a CB antenna with one tuning ring where mine has two.

Those who have mentioned about keeping the area clear around the antenna when making adjustments are correct; I think about eight to twelve feet would be enough. Never ever install an antenna where there is anything metal in close proximity because that will detune the antenna (how many CB antennas have you seen mounted on the bumpers of cars & trucks?)

The Winnie installed antenna must be one designed for no counterpoise (mounting on fibreglass) because mine did tune up okay.

You could probably get by with an SWR of 1.8 if that is the maximum you are seeing. Also your test equipment or whatever you use might not be accurate anyway. Anything under 2.0:1 will work - not optimally, but it shouldn't cause transmitter problems.

The antenna is poor quality because the spring is rusting quite nicely - really looks awful. One of these days I'll change it out for something better.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Wait.....drum roll please....

I think we're hearing the next minor "John Canfield" we all can get pics of and try ourselves!!!

GOOD to have ya back off the high seas and posting here again John!!

Old 02-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

You'll have to shorten the actual antenna. Remove the antenna from the mount. Grinding a small amount from the end that goes into the base.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks everyone I'll check it out when the snow stops flying around here.
John where have you been, good to see your back.
I don't remember bands on my antenna thought you adjust top rod up or down into coil on mount. Will check it out. "007"
Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It is interesting to note that the Winnie manual illustrates a CB antenna with one tuning ring where mine has two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, there is only one tuning ring. The second ring is used to lock down the first ring after the lowest SWR is obtained.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N
Actually, there is only one tuning ring. The second ring is used to lock down the first ring after the lowest SWR is obtained. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - that makes sense - it never dawned on me - thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
John where have you been, good to see your back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jane and I spent 25 days getting fattened up on a cruise ship. Phew - glad that's over or I might have had to go up a load range on the tires

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jane and I spent 25 days getting fattened up on a cruise ship. Phew - glad that's over or I might have had to go up a load range on the tires </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe just add some more air to the front left tire...
Old 02-26-2006, 01:36 AM   #18
gMw
Winnebago Owner

One more thing to check, is there a good ground to the CB chassis?

I was helping a friend set up his CB, and at first I wasn't able to get the SWR down to an acceptable point. He had the two wires from the CB were wired correctly to +12v and ground in the vechicle. I discovered he'd mounted the CB to a plastic dash, of course, it didn't provide a ground path for the chassis. Opening the CB, there was no connection between the printed circuit board's ground and the CB's metal chassis. I take it the CB manufacture thought the ant would be mounted to the vehicle's metal chassis and would pick up a ground that way. Anyway, once I ran a ground wire to the CB's chassis, the SWR came right in..
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks "George" thats maybe what I need, I have the hand held unit with everything in it, the metal box for 12v an connections is under dash held on by velgro. My CB drifts in an out. "007"
Old 02-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Saw this when I was searching for something else in my manuals....

Antenna SWR Adjustment-
To adjust- Check SWR on CH1 and CH40.
IF CH1 is HIGHER than CH40,turn tuning ring CLOCKWISE.
IF CH40 is higher than CH1,turn ring COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.
USUALLY 1/4 to 1/2 turn is enough
REPEAT until CH1 and CH40 are the same.
DO NOT TRIM WHIP!!