Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Saw this when I was searching for something else in my manuals....

Antenna SWR Adjustment-
To adjust- Check SWR on CH1 and CH40.
IF CH1 is HIGHER than CH40,turn tuning ring CLOCKWISE.
IF CH40 is higher than CH1,turn ring COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.
USUALLY 1/4 to 1/2 turn is enough
REPEAT until CH1 and CH40 are the same.
DO NOT TRIM WHIP!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which ring is the tuning ring?

Are there pictures posted anywhere?

Model number and manufacturer?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 04:26 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

In a perfect world, an SWR (aka VSWR) would be 1:1. An SWR reading of 6:1 is 50% reflected power Loss. Also known as 3db (half) of what you are transmitting Out. A 3:1 is just 25% Loss.

When we installed radios under mobile application we would accept anything in the 1.5:1 range. If you folks are seeing 1.8:1 at 27 Mhz (CB frequencies) I would accept it.

Now the truth: That antenna is far from a 1/4 wave vertical. It has a base loading coil on it which is how they get it to "resonate" a 25" piece of stainless steel whip to 27 Mhz.

In the perfect world it would require a whip antenna 8.6 feet long to accomplish an effective antenna. It should have at least 1.3 times that length in a "radial" (metal groundplane) to radiate against. Not practical to mount on the roof of your MH.

You could always purchase a tuner (matchbox) to get that 1:1, but there is always the losses in the tuner to consider.

In other words.... if you are seeing 1.8 or 2.0 it would be best to accept it and enjoy whatever you get in range out of your CB radios.

10-4 ?

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago does not provide a good ground plane for the CB antenna...I looked at Radio Shack and they have an antenna that has a built in ground plane that could possibly improve the performance. I think it was 36" long though.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I looked at Radio Shack and they have an antenna that has a built in ground plane that could possibly improve the performance. I think it was 36" long though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A ground plane 36" is resonant close to 78 Mhz - about 1/3 away from where you want to be at 27 Mhz.

You can build a 2" antenna and load it with a resistive load to match 50 ohm impedance - or use what they call a Dummy Load. It will give you 1:1 SWR, but will not radiate out of your driveway.

The high priced glass mount CB antennas are a prime example of this. They look good and are great money makers for the manufacturers - but you can yell further than they will transmit.

(I used to sell them)

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Sam
What style and type antenna would you suggest ?Other than the one that came on my 04 Vectra which is probably the same as on your 04 Horizon.
Thanks
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Ed -

What I would suggest would be far from practical.

In the perfect world, as before mentioned, a 8' Stainless steel whip (1/4 wavelength) mounted in the center of a solid metal surface of at least 16' would be ideal - unfortunately, though, we don't have that luxury of available height or ground plane.

Unfortunately, the height restrictions and construction of these coaches on;y allow the types of antennas that the manufacturers have been providing. Short antennas that offer no 'gain' at CB frequencies inorder to make the radios operable - not necessarily fully functional.

I have the very same antenna with the Ring(s) on it on my '04 Horizon. My Fleetwood coach and Country Coach and Sportscoach that Ive owned over the years had the very same one.

At best, CB radio will get you about a mile range in the country at 5 watts (input power) and a few blocks in the city. With the congestion of so many people competing for air time all on the same channel, no one can hear one another anyway unless they are close to one another. Regardless.

I used to sell WIlson, and Hustler and Firesticks and all of the other major brands on the market. Unfortunately they all worked about the same. The designs were a litle different, as was the packaging and the advertisement. But they all worked about the same.

By design, center loaded antennas work better than most - like the trucker antennas you see mounted on the mirrors of the big rigs. They DO perform a teeny bit better than the base loaded ones, but still not nearly as good as an 8' whip.

I checked the SWR (VSWR) on mine this afternoon. Resonant frequency is 27.145 Mhz with a 1.9:1 SWR. If I were seriously relying on the CB radio for traffic reports or emergency communication - I would accept the SWR I am measuring.... and still rely on my cell phone.

I know this is probably not what you're hoping to hear - but save your money and hang on to that cute one that came with your coach.

It's as good as it gets.

Ride Safe !

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-01-2006, 06:45 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Sam
Thank You
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Anytime, Ed !

I took a picture this morning of an antenna I am using on the 20m Ham Bands and how it is mounted on my RV.

It is not useable on the road, but adequate for me while Im parked.

If you wish to see it, go to http://www.nr4a.com/horizon/s555.jpg

It is a center-loaded fiberglass antenna with top half stainless steel whip. Total length around 8'

SWR is 1.2:1

Glad to be of help.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

They do have a fiberglass antenna that is made for nonmetalic vehicles. The ground plan is in the cable. check out the truckers antennas. I have one but am not to keen on drilling holes in the side of the rig to mount it. But I may just do that yet.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote