Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

CB Radios

Do many of you use CB radios while traveling? I noticed in the Winnie owner's manual that our MH is "prewired" for CB. If you have a CB, did you use the existing wire harness or start from scratch. Thanks in advance for your advice. ---- jim
AlwaysDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I used the Winnie prewire and it worked out very well. The only thing you have to do is tune the antenna after the installation
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On my '07 Adventurer I used the power wires but there is no antenna. I put on on the mirror. Just be careful that the antenna does not get caught by the wind and whip around hitting the coach.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We use our CB mostly during bad weather. It has weather radio and very nice to find out the road conditions from the truckers. The truckers will tell you more than you need to know.

Still haven't figured out the tunning the antena. Hard to establish a ground plain with a fiberglass camper. I even got a non ground plain antenna.

The factory antenna didn't work very good. Bad grounds.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I used the factory wiring. Mine also had an antenna installed. It is a very marginal antenna, but I stuck with it. You have to have an SWR meter to tune the antenna. You can google sites that will help you understand how to tune it ...http://www.life123.com/technology/home-electronics/cb-radio/how-to-tune-a-cb-antenna.shtml is one such site.

We use the CB weather radio in bad weather, and I have on when driving. It has helped us a few times to avoid traffic jams due to accidents, and to find a good detour around the jam. We have also used it a few times when traveling in a convoy with RV friends.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-tip View Post
We use our CB mostly during bad weather. It has weather radio and very nice to find out the road conditions from the truckers. The truckers will tell you more than you need to know.

Still haven't figured out the tunning the antena. Hard to establish a ground plain with a fiberglass camper. I even got a non ground plain antenna.

The factory antenna didn't work very good. Bad grounds.
To tune the antenna you need a SWR meter. Really best to go to a CB shop and have it done, very easy!
A ground plane (GP) antenna needs a GP coax lead that acts as the GP. It can't be cut though. I laid it back and forth in my dash because it was too long. I put the antenna in the drivers mirror bracket. Works great.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

A question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
To tune the antenna you need a SWR meter. Really best to go to a CB shop and have it done, very easy!
A ground plane (GP) antenna needs a GP coax lead that acts as the GP. It can't be cut though. I laid it back and forth in my dash because it was too long. I put the antenna in the drivers mirror bracket. Works great.
I'm not being a wise guy but where do you find a CB Shop? I've been thinking about installing a CB as a decoration in my MH. Seems everyone is using cell phones.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I'm not being a wise guy but where do you find a CB Shop? I've been thinking about installing a CB as a decoration in my MH. Seems everyone is using cell phones.
Are you kidding? Long Island is full of them. Try Sandros Electronics in Bayshore for starters, look in the Yellow Pages.
Try to find out why you are sitting in stopped traffic on the Interstate on your cell phone! If you have a CB all you do is ask a trucker coming toward you. He will give you more details than you want. I don't use CB as a rule, but in traffic it is nice to have.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

CB is very popular in Australia, used to talk the trucks around and coordinate passing, the trucks are often travelling faster than RVs as they run to deadlines! Lot of handhelds used for backing manoevers, the wife gets to tell you what to do!! sometimes the other way around.
Also useful if you get a brakedown in the outback, some people get up to 40 km with good gear
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Many CB shops are near or in truck stops. I had mine installed by Camping World and it works just fine. They put the antenna on the roof..

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We use our CB when traviling with friends both in the MH and and my Jeep. Quick easy communication. When traveling alone we keep it on 19 for traffic. There is also an RV channel which I belive is 13. Someone please correct me if Im wrong about 13.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We used the wiring in the coach for the setup. It took more time to find the wires (stuffed up under the dash in a plastic bag) than it did to install the radio. About the only time we use the CB feature is when going on Winnebago sponsored caravans (they're required). Other than than we use the weather radio when it looks like bad things may be on the horizon.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The sig alert system on a good radio is quite important when in tornado/ hurricane country. As stated if you go with WIT on a caravan it is required it also can increase your vocabulary if you monitor ch 19 (Truckers). The first time a sig alert alarm went off in the middle of the night I almost bumped my head on the ceiling. Had to do with an Amber Alert. I did use the installed system but finally ran a direct line to the battery .
Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
Are you kidding? Long Island is full of them. Try Sandros Electronics in Bayshore for starters, look in the Yellow Pages.
Try to find out why you are sitting in stopped traffic on the Interstate on your cell phone! If you have a CB all you do is ask a trucker coming toward you. He will give you more details than you want. I don't use CB as a rule, but in traffic it is nice to have.

I get traffic reports on my GPS. I will take a look and find out how many "CB SHOPS" are on Long Island.

I did several searches. There are no "CB SHOPS". Maybe long ago but not on Long Island. Sandros does electronic repairs. I'm sure they know about CB radios but if you try to find a CB shop it's not going to happen. There is one guy working out of his house in Ridge. I used online business and whitepages searches and local new phone books.

It's an OK addition. I have radios on in my home for days on end. Nothing. Years ago you would hear all kinds of chatter especially at night. We used to have CB radios in all our trucks years ago. Would keep guys awake when they plowed snow and they knew where to meet for coffee.

I did find EDS electronics in Medford. I did forget about them. That's where I bought my first cell phone in 1988. It was a radio the size of a small suitcase under the seat with a dash mounted handset. At $1 a minute to use. Anyway they do understand CB's since they've been around quite a while.

It was just the term "CB shop" I was questioning.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I use 2 cb's when I'm on long haul.. One (the main) on 19 on an earpiece

The other is on 13, the "Good Sam" channel, I dang ner pass out when it breaks squelch.. Of course it does not have much of an antenna.

Note the reason is that I bought the "Main" rig and while cleaning out our house to go full time finally unearthed the other one which is like 30 years old.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know if those hand held CB radios work ??
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
Does anyone know if those hand held CB radios work ??
I have the Cobra all in one and am very happy with it. It also has the weather and Chanel scan feature which I like.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have had truckers warn me twice about cops hiding behind billboards & bushes...it saved me a lot of money in speeding fines.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I also have the Cobra hand held. It has limited distance, but works OK. The bright side is the weather channel.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I used the factory installed antenna and wiring for my radio. I used a SWR meter to adjust the SWR. I am happy with the radio as it works well. We mostly use it while traveling with friends.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote