Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

CB Antenna Mount

Has anyone installed a no ground plane CB antenna like the following:

CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup)

I'd be interested in how the install went and what kind of performance you got.
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The Firestick seems to be the one most recommended here on the forums, that said I do not have one. Generally longer is better by the way.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I may be able to advise in a few days. I just got my radio and a Firestick ngp antenna. I will be using the chrome plated universal mount. My kit came with a swr meter with instructions for tuning the antenna.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks smlranger, I'll look forward to hearing how your install goes. Where did you purchase the antenna from?
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes they work fine. I would suggest you go at least 4 ft., and make sure you mount it at least 4-6" of the tip is above the cap. If you don't, you will have SWR issues, not get out very far, and may eventually burn out the radio if you transmit a lot.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
Thanks smlranger, I'll look forward to hearing how your install goes. Where did you purchase the antenna from?
I ordered the kit from Right Channel Radios. Www.rightchannelradios.com

I actually just opening the box this evening and there was no SWR meter in it. However, I ordered the Fire Stick NGP antenna with the radio and there is an envelope with instructions that is marked 'specific to my radio/antenna' so maybe the SWR is not needed with the Fire Stick antenna. I know this antenna comes with its own coax and you are to use it exactly as instructed.

I did send them a message to clarify and will let you know.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
Has anyone installed a no ground plane CB antenna like the following:

CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup)

I'd be interested in how the install went and what kind of performance you got.

artpe54,
I'm a bit curious here. In the page you linked, it shows the "Fire stik" antenna. And it has a detailed write up on it's capabilities. But, it also says,
"single antenna configuration when metallic ground plane is available"

So, am I reading something wrong here? You're asking for a "no ground plane" antenna installation and how did it work but, this one looks like it needs a ground plane, based on that sentence, correct?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

No ground plane is the way to go but there is other ideas to help.

CB Radio Guide - What is a groundplane? | THUNDERPOLE.co.uk

Or make a vertical dipole, by attaching a 2 foot antenna on the bottom of the mount, make sure the top antenna is insulated with the nylon washer that comes with the mount, on the bottom 2 footer use no insulator, this will make a ground plane and a pretty good set-up too
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

As long as you don't cut the coax length, the Firestick antenna will be perfectly matched for your radio. However, even though the antenna is set up for the lowest possible SWR from the factory, if the tip doesn't clear the roof, you will have issues transmitting and receiving.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
As long as you don't cut the coax length, the Firestick antenna will be perfectly matched for your radio. However, even though the antenna is set up for the lowest possible SWR from the factory, if the tip doesn't clear the roof, you will have issues transmitting and receiving.
The install instructions that came with the Firestick recommended having at least 2/3 of the antenna's length above the roof.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I don't remember where but someone had posted pics of their installation of a NGP Firestick. They mounted to the side of the coach just over the drivers window. The removed the panel inside the cabinet there and drilled directly thru the side of the coach to bolt the mount down and run the coax inside. If anyone's doing it this way please post pics for those of use that are directionally challenged.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I don't remember where but someone had posted pics of their installation of a NGP Firestick. They mounted to the side of the coach just over the drivers window. The removed the panel inside the cabinet there and drilled directly thru the side of the coach to bolt the mount down and run the coax inside. If anyone's doing it this way please post pics for those of use that are directionally challenged.
That is how I plan to mount mine. I will be doing that tomorrow and will post some pics when I get done.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Update: Antenna Installed.

I installed the 3' Firestick NGP antenna on the coach today using the stainless 3-way mount. I drilled two 1/4" holes for the stainless mounting bolts (2 1/2" required for my coach wall thickness). I used the pole/mirror arm mount piece on the inside of the coach as a backing plate. The plate is inside a compartment just above the driver' seat.

I drilled a third 3/16" hole for the special coax that comes with this antenna. It exits the coach wall just behind the mount so that it curves nicely to the connection on the bottom of the antenna.

As instructed, I made a bow tie of the slack coax and used a zip tie in the middle. Instructions were specific not to coil the excess cable.

Just need to tune it as soon as I get the SWR meter that was not shipped to me with the radio and antenna.

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...0/antenna1.jpg

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/photopost/data/500/antenna2.jpg

Not sure what is going on with forum today but was not able to insert the pics in this thread.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
The install instructions that came with the Firestick recommended having at least 2/3 of the antenna's length above the roof.
The problem with that is if you only get a 3 ft antenna and have 2 ft. above the roof (2/3), your height is now about 14 ft... At least it is in my case... Then If you don't put a spring in between the mount and antenna, you have a good chance at some point of breaking your antenna off...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I added a stainless steel spring to my mount. Amazon has it!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The problem with that is if you only get a 3 ft antenna and have 2 ft. above the roof (2/3), your height is now about 14 ft... At least it is in my case... Then If you don't put a spring in between the mount and antenna, you have a good chance at some point of breaking your antenna off...
The Fire Stick did come with a spring. It does seem to allow the antenna to take a hit from tree branch and do OK. Will see.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I installed my Firestik model FG2-DD yesterday. I used the existing hole from the old DB antenna. Bought mine from Amazon.com however it was sold at list price $56.99 with free shipping and no sales tax. This NGP (no ground plane) worked and the SWR as adjustable via a screw in the top of the antenna. Mine was the 2 foot model mainly since my mount was on top of the MH and any higher would look weird and hit every low bridge. The instructions were great even told you which way to turn the SWR adjustment screw depending on weather ch 1 was higher or lower then ch 40. One issue was this model is designed for a FLAT surface and their is no adjustment for angle. So I'd recommend buying an additional mount if your surface is not flat or as I did grind an nylon washer to create the the necessary offset angle.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I went to a local CB shop and had them install a side mount with a 2 foot Fire Stick antenna. A 3 foot would probably be better but it appears to work OK while traveling with other RV's.

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I think the bigger issue is once the radio is up and working... I don't think what you hear is worth all the effort to hear it... JMHO...
Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I think the bigger issue is once the radio is up and working... I don't think what you hear is worth all the effort to hear it... JMHO...
True. I use our CB when traveling with friends. Some tours require a installed CB, not a handheld CB.

Safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna