Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone replaced the existing CB antenna on an 02 32'Adventurer?

How much trouble is it to get to the base of the antenna where is comes through the roof?

My antenna is loose at the base on top of the roof and I'm not sure just turning it would tighten it up, not knowing what is on the bottom of the antenna inside the MH.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone replaced the existing CB antenna on an 02 32'Adventurer?

How much trouble is it to get to the base of the antenna where is comes through the roof?

My antenna is loose at the base on top of the roof and I'm not sure just turning it would tighten it up, not knowing what is on the bottom of the antenna inside the MH.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You should be able to see the underside nut by going into the cabinet above the driver. I had to loosen a couple of screws that holds the cabinet liner in place.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gonna be installing a new CB antenna on the roof this Friday, with the help of a friend who is a retired RV mechanic. Will write it up after the install.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jim

Don,

Let me know what kind of antenna you are going to use and your installation proceedure and the final outcome.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is the CB antenna that I just mounted on my '07 Journey. A

Firestik DS-14FG No Ground Plane CB antenna (Cell lookalike).

The new Winnies are not being shipped with CB antennas, and the one on my '00 Journey didn't work too well.

Took about 90 minutes to install (with the help of my friend who is a retired RV mechanic).

We mounted it on the roof in line with the rubber ducky radio antenna, and between the air horns and where the Sirius sat radio antenna is mounted. This particular antenna will fold down almost flat to the roof to avoid obstructions. It is only 14" tall when up.

Pulled the wood band off the inside of the ceiling to reveal a seam in the ceiling panels. You can pull down on the panel going to the front and see the roof area under the cap. Be sure to mount the antenna in the front cap area as the thickness of the roof is too thick to mount this antenna. Note the roof pretty much begins behind where the wood band is located across the ceiling.

We routed the cable up the A-pillar along the drivers side along the windshield, into the cabinet above the driver (left of TV). We pulled down the ceiling inside the cabinet, held on with 2 screws. Got the antenna wire up the A-pillar and just pushed it up the channel where the Sirius antenna wire runs, and was able to grab it with my hand above the ceiling inside the cabinet.

Once the wire was located inside the cabinet, was able to route it along the top of the ceiling panel in front of the wood rib.

Drilled a 7/16" hole, using a wood boring bit, thru the roof as located above. We needed to shave off some of the styrofoam insulation underneath around the hole as the stud was not long enough to screw into the antenna thru the hole we drilled with this insulation in place.

Once connection was made, buttoned up the coach and it was done. Will install CB this afternoon.

I'll try to post a couple pics if I can figure out how to do so (never done it yet).

All in all not a bad install, and I really like this antenna.

Note you need to get a 'No Ground Plane' antenna when mounting on fiberglass roofs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Don,

Thanks loads.

I have a firestik I took from my last MH so I may see if I can adapt it to the existing coax and base. I believe it is also a no ground plane antenna.

Ron
Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ron,

Be advised that Firestik states that you cannot cut/shorten the antenna wire. Nor can you add to it without a specific length.

So my recommendation is to use the coax which comes with the newantenna only. I would not use the existing coax.

You could use it to pull the new coax to the new antenna.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]