Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Living The Dream

Can't turn off coach batteries

Can anyone think of why I can't turn off the coach batteries with the regular on/off switch? I can hear a relay clicking, but can actually isolate them.

2012 Navion iQ. Only modification I've made related to the battery circuit is to add a Trik-L-Start. By the way, the chassis battery was not isolated when I tried to isolate the coach batteries.

I rarely attempt to isolate any of the batteries, so maybe I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Can anyone think of why I can't turn off the coach batteries with the regular on/off switch? I can hear a relay clicking, but can actually isolate them.

2012 Navion iQ. Only modification I've made related to the battery circuit is to add a Trik-L-Start. By the way, the chassis battery was not isolated when I tried to isolate the coach batteries.

I rarely attempt to isolate any of the batteries, so maybe I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks.
I assume you mean can't. If you put a finger on the relay or a mechanic's stethoscope when someone turns it on/off, you can detect the relay that's clicking. The relay could be faulty, if you put a multimeter on the 2 large terminals, you measure if the solenoid is really turning off and on. They are simple to replace, just make sure to take cable off the batteries first.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I assume you mean can't. . .
I did mean "can't" ... thanks for catching that, and for the suggestions.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Over time, the contacts can weld themselves closed. Try taping on the solenoid with a hammer or screwdriver handle and try isolating them again.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Are you connected to shore power when you try to do this? ON my system the indicator indicates 12 volt on the HOUSE side of the switch, that can come from the batteries,,,,,or the converter...
Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Are you connected to shore power when you try to do this? ON my system the indicator indicates 12 volt on the HOUSE side of the switch, that can come from the batteries,,,,,or the converter...
I can't turn off power at switch either if I'm plugged into shore power.
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When you say you "can't shut off the house batteries" what items that normally run on those batteries stay powered up? If it's the lights and vent fans you definitely have a problem. However all items that are powered by those batteries may not be disconnected when the switch is thrown. On our 2013 Adventurer the steps remain powered up regardless of whether the all batteries (both house and chassis) are shut off.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If connected to shore power. You are running off the converter not the batt's after turning off switch.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries