Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

can 50 amp coach run a/c on 30 amp service

I am considering purchasing a 32 foot itasca meridian diesel pusher 2004. We want to be able to go into state and national parks. Do the parks have 50 amp service? if only 30 amps will the basement a/c run on 30 amps? If not may need to look for a coach with roof top units. Thanks
eddiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I ran both compressors off 30 amp on my 01 35U. Of course if anything else ( large appliance ) was needed , I would turn one off or the power management system would shed one. You'll be fine.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiel View Post
I am considering purchasing a 32 foot itasca meridian diesel pusher 2004. We want to be able to go into state and national parks. Do the parks have 50 amp service? if only 30 amps will the basement a/c run on 30 amps? If not may need to look for a coach with roof top units. Thanks
Should be no problem as I do it all the time. The 2 compressors should use about 23 amps leaving you 6-7 amps for other appliances. You should have a automatic load sharing system that will shut down 1 of your ac compressors when an additional demand (electric water heater, etc.) comes on. When the demand is complete the 2nd compressor will return to service.

Their are several things you can do to keep the 2nd compressor running if it is very hot out. I run the electric water heater only at night and turn the battery charger onto the lowest charging setting.

You will need a "step down" dog bone electrical connector when pluged into a 30 amp post.

Go for it and enjoy.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I ran both compressors off 30 amp on my 01 35U. Of course if anything else ( large appliance ) was needed , I would turn one off or the power management system would shed one. You'll be fine.
Same with my rig. Both basement AC compressors run on 30 amp when there are no other major electric draws. Electric management system does a good job managing the load. On really hot sunny days with 30 amp, I try to avoid running other appliances during the heat of the day.

Some state parks have 50 amp. Some have 30. We are at a state park now. Some are 30 amp while others are 50. Happy to be on a 50 amp site.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Best thing to do if you have a EMS system is to know what your AC units draw.....if you don't have a EMS, use a "Amp Meter" (clamp on) to check the draw when running for each one. Like Cliff said above, 2 of mine running, has a 30 amp out let maxed out, as each one draws 17 amps when running.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Journey.

We hook to either 30 or 50 amp outlets in campgrounds ... when on 30 amp and we need to run the air conditioner we turn the refrigerator and water heater to LP ... the EMS turns the compressor on and off as necessary to provide cooling.

At our house we have a 20 amp dedicated outlet ... when the rig is at our house (I have a heavy duty 20 to 30amp pigtail) ... I set the selector by the EMS to 20 ... turn off one compressor (under the bed) ... I turn the air conditioner on in the morning ... set the temperature very low so that it does not cycle on and off ... and the unit runs all day without tripping the circuit breaker ... it is the start up that is the big current draw.

I have made no modifications to the electrical system on our rig
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Last year on an east coast trip, we ran into state park cg's that had only 20A. We also discovered that we can run the AC #1 compressor on 20A, and putting water htr and refer on gas and not use the microwave. The TV's are newer HD's so the draw there was minimal.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Why yes it can and I do it all the time. Just don't think you are going to run the Micro wave and the hair dryer and the water heater on AC at the same time. Be smart and set the AC at something reasonable and/or already have the MH cooled off before plugging in so the AC does not have to run full blast to attempt to get the temperature down.
Yes I know mine is different but overall still works the same. I only start 1 AC at first and give it a chance to really start cooling then turn on the second one to help the first one. I also don't put the water heater on electric until the AC's have caught up with the temp.
Just my .01 worth
Old 09-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The 2 compressors should use about 23 amps leaving you 6-7 amps for other appliances. You should have a automatic load sharing system that will shut down 1 of your ac compressors when an additional demand (electric water heater, etc.) comes on. When the demand is complete the 2nd compressor will return to service.

Their are several things you can do to keep the 2nd compressor running if it is very hot out. I run the electric water heater only at night and turn the battery charger onto the lowest charging setting.
X2. When we are in a 30amp situation, we use propane for the water heater. When we need the microwave convection, we shut the AC off for a while.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service