Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I'll take the cable tv from the park pedestal and run the coax to my outside power bay where the cable input jack is located. Should I turn off the Winegard TV amplifier, and just push the button to select cable input? If I leave the Winegard amplifier "on" and select cable, can it burn up something in my tv because of too much voltage through the antenna (cable voltage multiplied by Winegard booster).

I think I need to tell the TV or VCR to look at cable channels instead of air channels too. Does this sound right?

Jeesh...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'll take the cable tv from the park pedestal and run the coax to my outside power bay where the cable input jack is located. Should I turn off the Winegard TV amplifier, and just push the button to select cable input? If I leave the Winegard amplifier "on" and select cable, can it burn up something in my tv because of too much voltage through the antenna (cable voltage multiplied by Winegard booster).

I think I need to tell the TV or VCR to look at cable channels instead of air channels too. Does this sound right?

Jeesh...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, turn off the antenna booster. You only need that if you are using your antenna and the signal is weak. I don't think you would blow anything up if you left it on, but it would affect your signal. You need to press the cable button for each TV on the selector box, and yes, you need to go into the TV menu and select cable there as well.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Gary -

If you leave the pre-amp turned on you will not do any damage to anything except possibly lose signal from the cable.

Turn it off and setup the TV and VCR for Cable channels.

Enjoy!

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The forum members help again..we have a great bunch...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

One thing that might be worth noting.
I have found that at some RV parks the cable companies use a decoding scheme that requires the TV to be set to accomodate it.
There are three schemes out there: STD, and two others that have names somethng like HRC and SRC.
If you are in a park where you can't get channels above 12 and they are supposed to be there, you will need to go into your TV setup menu and select another decode scheme.

You may already know about this, but I didn't when we started traveling.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

There should be no power feed when conn. to cable. WE use the cable for TV up front and Ant for rear many times, so preamp is on. Does not cause a problem. Even use Sat. up front and Ant in rear. No problem. That is why they put that Selection box in. seperates everything.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have never had a problem with just making sure the cable buttons are activated. Amp on or off makes do difference.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote