Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cable TV?

Hi all !!

A newbie question that I'm sure is obvious to all.
I have my new Itasca Ellipse hooked up to the RV park's cable outlet to my chassis hook up.
How do I get cable to the tv?

I have satellite connected & tv antenna working but how to select cable?

I dont know where the interior cable is connected to. Any help here ? I know I should be posting this in the "Dumbest Thing ever done" thread and may do so later.

Thanks in advance all
Ed
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

HI Ed, Do you have a switch box? If so should be a cable switch. Also you should be able to select "cable" on you TV input screen. Any luck? John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

If you do not have a video switcher then the cable/over-the-air option is selected by turning on/off the power to the Winegard TV antenna. ON you get OTA. OFF you get cable. You also have to set your TV to CABLE and do a channel scan.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys...you both nailed the fact I had to change to cable mode using my tv remotes setup menu. Now that I have cable thanks to you guys....I'm going for a long walk since as usual there's nothing on the boob tube anyway haha.

Ed
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Your TV's can only handle onr digital signal at a time - if you have a digital ready TV there should be a switch on your control box that let's you select "cable" - if you have digital adapter box it must have a digital by pass option in order to operate on cable.

And as the others have said - you must change your TV, via menu, to cable.

Ooops - just saw that you got it fixed - good on ya!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Cable TV

I have a 2008 new Itasca Ellipse and I cannot get cable TV either. I have tried using the cable button and also the TV antenna button and I have tried putting the TV on Cable and Air. With or without the TV antenna power button on I cannot get the cable to come in. I have been told by Winnebago service people that I need to have the TV on air and the Cable button pushed on the box inside the unit and the TV antenna Power button off to get cable. It doesn't work! Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I can get air channels and I can get satellite but I cannot get Cable on the main TV. I can get all three on the back TV so it is not my outside wire.
nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I don't know why they have trouble receiving cable but I'm sure glad to see two new Ellipse owners!!! Congratulations. We love ours.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are two kinds of video switches in motor homes and trailers

If you have the old wall plate with the 12 volt (Big round hole) outlet, antenna jack, switch and light.. Then it was likely re-wired so you can't get cable period.

If you have the box of many buttons,, Just push the CABLE button

I might add... That "Re-wired" is why Wineguard and I disagree as to how to install satellite.. That plus I like RG-6 not RG-59 for LNB lines
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have finally discovered the answer to my problem. My main TV is a Samsung and it has both a cable input and a Antenna input. I needed to put a short wire on each input and put a splitter on the two wires and hook the wire from the switch box to the other end of the splitter. My wire from the splitter box was hooked to the antenna input and no cable was getting from the switch box to the cable input. I now have both cable and antenna channels coming in on the TV
nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2005 Sightseer and can't get the cable to work either. I don't have a A/V switcher just the amped wall plate. I can hook directly to the TV from the pedestal and get reception however when I hook up to the wall plate nothing? I've tried with the wall plate on and off. Has to be something simple, would appreciate any thoughts. Txs
Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

coffeeman,

Do you have a signal coming to the amplified switch plate? Mine has to be off for cable to work. Good luck--let us know what you find.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
I have a 2005 Sightseer and can't get the cable to work either. I don't have a A/V switcher just the amped wall plate. I can hook directly to the TV from the pedestal and get reception however when I hook up to the wall plate nothing? I've tried with the wall plate on and off. Has to be something simple, would appreciate any thoughts. Txs
This might help. It's a diagram of the way mine was wired from the factory. ( I added the satellite receiver) You may also have to go into the TV menus and make an input switch there.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsharbor View Post
coffeeman,

Do you have a signal coming to the amplified switch plate? Mine has to be off for cable to work. Good luck--let us know what you find.
I don't have anything to check if there is a signal or not. I've tried to reconnect outside and made sure the amp was off but no luck. Something must be loose somewhere.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

There are 3 ways.. IF you have a box with many buttons, some of which say CABLE, you'd not be asking but push the button

IF you have a wall plate with a 12 volt outlet, a switch, a light, and an antenna connnector turn off the light... Odds are, however, that they have re-wired the cables on the back of it so you can use the park cable connection on the outside for a ground mount satelite.. if they did that you need to re-configure.

It is pushing midnight as i type, i have a big day tomorrow so others can tell you how to re-configure Plus I need to ask more quesitons.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Txs..I may have a volt meter onboard an at least can check continuity. I just have the wall receptacle that has the 12 volt outlet with the power amp in front.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Solution...over the drivers compartment is a connector box with 3 connections. Roof satellite, portable satellite and to digital receiver. There was a cable that looked like it had been added coming from behind the tv. I hooked that up to the "out to digital receiver" and I'm in business. Txs for all the input, hope this will help others.