Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Broken TV antenna cable

Good evening,

I have a 2001 Journey that has a broken tv cable that was once connected to the antenna on the roof. I believe one of the low lying tree branches took it out. Has anyone tried replacing the cable that I am assuming is running above the ceiling from the antenna to the overhead in the front of the RV.
Better question, can it be replaced?

Thanks
Andy
acrobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

There should be a few feet extra cable. Pull some out of the roof and put a new cable end on. If you need to install a new cable then try to connect the new cable to the old one and as you pull the old out you'll pull the new in. If none of those ideas work then there is no choice but to fish a new cable in.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to replogle
I have a 2001 Journey 36DL. There is a barrel connector inside the roof about 4 inches from where the cable comes out of the roof near the base of the antenna. You can pull the cable out of the roof far enought to get to that connector. Then replace your broken cable. I had a bad connection at this barrel and had to replace the cable ends and install a new barrel.

Good Luck

Randy, 2001 Journey 36DL
replogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Randy,

Did you have to pull the base of the antenna off the roof to get to the barrel connector? I have tried taking the base of the antenna off but even after removing
all the screws it wont budge. It must be glued down or maybe the sealer is holding it.
I have tried prying it up but I am afraid of breaking something, like my fiberglass roof.

Last night I started taking the frame around the tv off and thought maybe I could remove part of the ceiling and feed a new cable that way but nothing is coming off
very easy. I did manage to see the cables running in the roof and could not pull on
them or it didn't appear that they had any slack. I guess of the three cables I see,
one goes to the antenna, one goes to the tv in the bedroom and I am not sure where
the other one goes to. I am headed back on later on this morning to see if I can make
some progress. Thank you two for your input!!!

Andy
acrobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to replogle
Andy

I didn't have to remove the antenna base. I just pulled the cable out of the roof. Removed the rubber weather seal and pull the cable and connector out of the roof. I checked the cable and amp by checking the voltage on the cable that powers the antenna head. I don't remember the voltage but I think is was around 12 volts. I did all this after buying a new amp and antenna head only to find the bad barrel and connectors.

Randy
replogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Fairly good chance there is a connector either at the roof line or just inside the roof, buried in caulking,

If there is.. You are in luck. Only need to replace the cable above the roof. I recommend the best quality cable you can get.

if you can replace the cable all the way (or if you have to) Please consider RG-6 over 59,, Very slightly better, same price usually.

You may also wish to re-route, If I were replacing the full cable I'd route to where I could come straight down, then run it UNDER the ceiling, Why,, Beats the )@# out of pulling the ceiling down.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I replaced my cable from the roof to the inside cabinet, a very short distance of cable but several hours of frustration. As I recall there was a connector buried just below the roof line. Be very careful if you fish a new cable in, the foam in the roof is difficult to feed a cable thru. Make sure
& pull something in and attach the cable securely because mine pulled loose in the ceiling. I had to fish a wire from bottom to top (inside cabinet to roof). This was very difficult because it's not a straight shot at all.
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

if you need to get the base off use a wide putty knife and work your way around itand you should be able to get it off. it worked for me. while you have it off you should consider replacing it with a Jack Antenae. the ther is no more cranking up and down.

Tags
antenna