Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Tompen,
Nice treatise on B.I.R.D. systems. However, Winnebago doesn't use those. In Winnebago products, the bridging relay is only activated by the boost switch or by the "run" signal from the chassis.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I didn't know an Itasca was a Winnebago. I also didn't know Winnebago did not ever use a B.I.R.D. That's why I said if you have a BIRD, etc. etc.
Learning every day........
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Starter relays are not 100% duty cycle, they are only meant to pull in during starting. The isolation/boost relay is pulled in whenever the ignition is on.
Well this is not quite true.
Solenoid Switch - SPST 12V 85A Insulated Continuous $20-30
This 12 volt insulated continuous solenoid is ideal for 12 volt vehicle starters, winches, snow plows or other heavy electric motors. The insulated continuous switch allows for a low input while generating a larger output.

I guess the proof is that my MH needed a replacement "like now" while in florida or would have been several days stranded. Pick up this very common relay from NAPA or other auto stores. Put it in over a year ago and it is still there after 5K miles.

Although starters may draw very high loads, especially when under a stalled condition (locked up) the amount of power (current) transfer on the MH is small in comparison. these type of relay (solenoids) are very commonly used in a variety of applications and under continuous duty cycle. sure beat the junk parts of OEM that leave you on the side of road.

almost all of the reports I have read about the supplied relay is that it is not properly sealed and the contact corrode. Generally the coil still functions OK.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
I didn't know an Itasca was a Winnebago. I also didn't know Winnebago did not ever use a B.I.R.D. That's why I said if you have a BIRD, etc. etc.
Learning every day........
Yeah Winnebago's and Itaska's are made on the same production line at the same time.
The Itaska's have different color schemes and standard things that are options on Winnebago's.

Actually Winnebago has had at least one model that used a BIRD system - the Ultimate Advantage had one. That is the only one I know of though.