Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Boost Solenoid

Hello All,

I have been reading the forms on here and I am a bit confused. I purchased a used 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage Dec 2016. Currently the house batteries do not charge from the Alternator. The chassis batteries do. I originally read on here that this was normal and have done nothing about it.

When I first got the motorhome I depleted the chassis batteries by storing the motorhome for two weeks without removing the battery cables. When I attempted to start it the batteries were drained far enough that it would not crank over. At this point I tried the MOM switch, but it did not work. I held it down for about a minute before cranking with the switch depressed. I was able to use a simple set of jumper cables from the house to the chassis and start the motorhome. Alternator charged up the chassis batteries. Now I disconnect all battery cables when I store the motorhome. I have done nothing about fixing the MoM switch so it works.

Now I am questioning myself about the boost solenoid. The alternator charging the house batteries I have seen a few posts about people replacing the boost solenoid. I believe this would fix my MoM switch, but do you think my batteries would charge from the alternator? I would like to be able to hold this mom switch down to momentarily connect all the batteries together to kinda equalize all batteries to give me a boost to start the motor. Or hold switch down to give me some power to start the generator if house batteries were low? My Biggest hope would be for the alternator to charge the house batteries as well as the chassis batteries. Can anybody with an Ultimate advantage tell me if there house batteries are charged with the alternator?

I am attaching some photos of what I think is the boost solenoid.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silinoid 1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	170727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silinoid 2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	170728  

Old 12-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi signet63
That sure looks like a Boost solenoid to me. And a cooked one at that!
I had similar symptoms except my solenoid didn't look bad from the outside.
I was not charging my house batteries when the engine was running and charging the chassis battery. Nor could I boost the engine when the chassis battery went dead. I changed the boost solenoid with an Echlin 95 (I'm not positive of the model number) but I've heard the Cole Hersee 24213 is superior and costs about the same. Now when I'm driving along, the house batteries are receiving the same charge as the chassis battery. That solenoid should close when the ignition key is on as well as when the 'Boost' rocker switch is held to 'Boost'. That's all it does. It's a continuous duty, 200amp relay. That's all for now.

Stan
Old 12-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes, your coach batteries should be charged by the alternator when the engine is running.

Page 3 of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows the boost solenoid and page 5 shows the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD) which is a smart device that is supposed to manage the interconnection of the battery banks when either one is being charged.

Here's a Intellitec Product DataSheet that should be helpful.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Boost Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchflicke View Post
Hi signet63
That sure looks like a Boost solenoid to me. And a cooked one at that!
I had similar symptoms except my solenoid didn't look bad from the outside.
I was not charging my house batteries when the engine was running and charging the chassis battery. Nor could I boost the engine when the chassis battery went dead. I changed the boost solenoid with an Echlin 95 (I'm not positive of the model number) but I've heard the Cole Hersee 24213 is superior and costs about the same. Now when I'm driving along, the house batteries are receiving the same charge as the chassis battery. That solenoid should close when the ignition key is on as well as when the 'Boost' rocker switch is held to 'Boost'. That's all it does. It's a continuous duty, 200amp relay. That's all for now.

Stan
Thanks Stan,

I just googled Cole Hersee 24213 and found it on amazon. It will arrive Friday and I will attempt to put it in over the weekend. I will post photos and let you know it works. Thank you for this information.

Bill
Old 12-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Yes, your coach batteries should be charged by the alternator when the engine is running.

Page 3 of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows the boost solenoid and page 5 shows the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD) which is a smart device that is supposed to manage the interconnection of the battery banks when either one is being charged.

Here's a Intellitec Product DataSheet that should be helpful.
Hello Chris,

Thank you. I just ordered a replacement solenoid and I will look at the bird when I replace the solenoid. I will post photos when I do the work. Thanks,

Bill Miller
Old 12-31-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Where is your boost solenoid? We have a 2005 Vectra 40KD. Thank you in advance
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by drczap View Post
Where is your boost solenoid? We have a 2005 Vectra 40KD. Thank you in advance
Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for your coach.

By the

Chassis Wiring Installation Diagram

it appears as if your coach's solenoid is in the vicinity of the compartment aft of the driver-side rear wheel.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have had problems with the solenoid in my 2005 Vectra. I replaced the solenoid with a new one from Winnebago and it worked about a week. I am now starting a replacement using a solenoid for Blue Sea model 7620. Will know more when I get it installed. The old one quits while driving using the inverter to keep the fridge working. John Canfield has helped me a lot.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I also have a 2005 Vectra and my solenoid is in the drivers side rear compartment (where the elect cord is) it is behind the black box on the wall. The solenoid is used to help start the coach if the chassis battery is dead and it keeps the house batteries charged while going down the road.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you madred and l1v3fr33ord1

I ordered the PRECISION CIRCUITS 225 AMP CONTINUOUS BATTERY ISOLATION MANAGER 00-10041-250, which appears to be their current production model ($213 on eBay).

I did stumble across a short article from WIT Club News "Evolution of Battery
Management
" (June/July 2017), including Trik-L-Start module and Precision Circuits Battery BIM module.
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid