Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

One way to find the solenoid is to turn the switch that controls your Aux Start function (Boost, or whatever it's called) on and off and listen for a fairly loud click. Most likely it's located close to your batteries so this will be a two person job.

Of course, this assumes that the solenoid works.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I'll look, Bob ...but, I have only seen a key-start for this Workhorse W30.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Check out page 2-11 of the 2002 Sightseer manual, it has a photo of the switch if you have it:

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...2Sightseer.pdf

Depending on the model, it might be in a different location but it has to be reachable from the driving position.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Xmas came a day early - thanks, Bob. Now I have a manual ..and it fits on an iPad. Cheers.

Jim
Old 12-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

We're all anxiously awaiting to find out if you have the Aux Start switch and solenoid. Merry Christmas.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Hello and thanks for your answer. I have a 2009 Journey with inverter/charger. Question is can I just plug a 110 power cord into my 50 amp cord using a pig tail adapter and have both battery banks charged.
kimenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimenker View Post
Hello and thanks for your answer. I have a 2009 Journey with inverter/charger. Question is can I just plug a 110 power cord into my 50 amp cord using a pig tail adapter and have both battery banks charged.
There shouldn't be a problem with connecting to 110v with a pigtail adapter, that's what they're for.

Your best bet for charging both your house and chassis batteries is to connect them together with a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start first. That way your onboard charger will charge both banks. This is preferable to just connecting the two together with cables since Trik or Amp-L-Start will protect your house batteries should your chassis battery be too weak. The cable approach is only for short term connection.

Here's a link to the 2009 Journey manual if you don't have it:

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma.../09Journey.pdf
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Winnebago connects the battery charger - in the form of a "converter" or an "inverter/charger" only to the house batteries. Diesels built since 2006? have a factory installed Trik -L-Start to divert a small portion of the charge to the chassis batteries. Note the the coach steps and slideouts are all powered via the chassis batteries and the steps work even with the chassis battery disconnect switch activated so there will always be some residual drain from the chassis batteries. To offset that drain, Winn installed a 10 watt solar panel on diesel roofs and connected it to the chassis batteries. Managing the battery banks is always a challenge. I think I won the battle in my coach by connecting my 400w solar to the same connection point in the electrical compartment that the Tril-L-Start and coach batteries are connected. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

This discussion is making it sound way, way too complicated to keep your chassis battery topped up while you're RV is on hookups at a campsite or on hookups while in storage.

I use this little battery "maintainer" to keep the chassis battery charged up while on hookups if the chassis battery has already been charged from driving. The picture doesn't show it, but included is a cigarette lighter plug - to use in place of the alligator clips - on the end of a cord that plugs onto the output cable of the battery maintainer instead of plugging the alligator clip's cord onto the output cable of the maintainer.

Inside the coach, I plug the maintainer's input cord into a 120V receptacle (which is of course powered whenever the RV is on hookups), and then plug it's cigarette ligther plug into a cigarette lighther receptacle on the dash in the cab (which is always connected to the chassis battery at all times, even when the engine isn't running and with no key in the ignition) and walla ... this inexpensive little battery maintainer keeps the chassis battery from ever running down whenever the RV is not being used but is still on hookups. The battery maintainer's 120 volt input cord and 12 volt output cord are long, so that it can easily reach from a 120 volt receptacle in the coach area to a cigarette lighter receptacle in the cab.

I've been doing this for over 12 years on our motorhome. Here's a link to the maintainer I'm using but this exact model is no longer available, so just do a quick search on the internet for an equivalent later model that can be used the same way:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BatteryMI...ator/980564005
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

It's likey my problem - a weak processor, Phil ...but, this also sounds complicated. I use pretty much the exact item for my lawn mowers at home - clip on/clip off. In looking at Amazon, there are a buncha different amperages available from 1.3 to 16...?!

I got the Trik-L-Start (5 amp) ...'just waiting for a weather window. Yeeech!

Phil, I am glad that works for you, and people will know of alternatives. Cheers.

Jim
Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
It's likey my problem - a weak processor, Phil ...but, this also sounds complicated. I use pretty much the exact item for my lawn mowers at home - clip on/clip off. In looking at Amazon, there are a buncha different amperages available from 1.3 to 16...?!

I got the Trik-L-Start (5 amp) ...'just waiting for a weather window. Yeeech!

Phil, I am glad that works for you, and people will know of alternatives. Cheers.

Jim
Hmmm ... my method couldn't be simpler after you purchase the ~$30 maintainer: 1) Plug maintainer power into coach wall outlet, 2) plug maintainer's 12 volt output cable (comes with maintainer so you don't have to mess with opening the hood and clipping alligator clips onto engine battery lugs) into a stock 12V dash receptacle, and 3) unplug maintainer and stow in a cabinet when in motion on trips.

When home, steal the maintainer from the motorhome temporarily and use it's alligator clips to charge 12V batteries on - backup generators, weed sprayers, ride-em lawn mowers, etc..
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Charging the Chassis Battery

I've read this thread a couple of times and others on this forum, but I'm still looking for some information about my 2019 Navion 24D.

We purchased our Navion two weeks ago, but did not get a quality orientation from the dealer. I've been researching this forum for answers to a few issues, but I still don't understand the charging system in my unit.

My RV is stored without external power other than the solar panels. Do the solar panels charge the chassis battery? We've had unusually cloudy weather in Pensacola over the past two weeks and I've noticed my chassis battery losing its charge. Is this due to the lack of solar charging because of the overcast conditions or is it because the solar panels are not designed to charge the chassis? If it because of the latter, what is the best way to charge the chassis battery?

Thanks,
Bob
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

There are various ways to charge a chassis battery such as installing a Trik-L-Start, connecting an external battery charger, running the engine for about 30 minutes on a regular basis.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Thanks WinnieView. From your response, you are saying the solar panels do not charge the chassis batteries. I can wire a charger from the coach batteries to charge the chassis battery. I'm guessing the solar panels can keep the house batteries charged and manage the chassis batteries as well.

Thanks,
Bob
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I'm taking a vacation first of June and will be driving 8-10 hours in 2 days. The granddaughters will be watching DVD's on the main TV probably most of the trip. So the inverter would be powering the TV while driving along with the chassis supplying power to the inverter while driving, correct?

There is no need to run the generator while driving in this case, correct?

thanks
Old 02-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Skylake
If you install a Trik-L-Start, it diverts a portion of the charge on your chassis battery - whether from the converter or solar - to the chassis battery. No need to do anything else. I would not recommend connecting the chassis and house batteries any other way.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
I'm taking a vacation first of June and will be driving 8-10 hours in 2 days. The granddaughters will be watching DVD's on the main TV probably most of the trip. So the inverter would be powering the TV while driving along with the chassis supplying power to the inverter while driving, correct?

There is no need to run the generator while driving in this case, correct?

thanks
Correct, unless you also need coach AC.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmm ... my method couldn't be simpler after you purchase the ~$30 maintainer: 1) Plug maintainer power into coach wall outlet, 2) plug maintainer's 12 volt output cable (comes with maintainer so you don't have to mess with opening the hood and clipping alligator clips onto engine battery lugs) into a stock 12V dash receptacle, and 3) unplug maintainer and stow in a cabinet when in motion on trips.

When home, steal the maintainer from the motorhome temporarily and use it's alligator clips to charge 12V batteries on - backup generators, weed sprayers, ride-em lawn mowers, etc..

Now I got it. Somehow, I am quite able to make things complicated; it is eminently simple. As I am waiting for the weather to get to work, I am planning on 'doing some other wiring' (maybe letting my business' electrician assist..) and may stick to the permanent solution. But, that is a good work-around. Thanks.

Jim

Tags
batteries, converter