Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wet out to the MH yesterday and saw a small amout of liquid under coach around battery comp. Opened compartment and all three battiers were bubbling fluid out the top covers which was dropping down to chasis bats. I was hooked to 30 amp shore power. I noticed the readout on the dimensions panel was reading 14.6 volts and 100 amps.

any ideas what may be going on. I tried to shut down the dimensions charger but the readout had an over ride statement. I was able to lower amps to 10 and the EMS readout was reading 4 amps. Prior readout was 14 amps on EMS panel.

I have noticed a small wet spot in this area before but never paid much attention to it as i have found several water leaks over the past six months of ownership.

Since electrical problems have plagued this coach since it's conception is it possible that the problem i had with the chasis bat also contribute to the house bats?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wet out to the MH yesterday and saw a small amout of liquid under coach around battery comp. Opened compartment and all three battiers were bubbling fluid out the top covers which was dropping down to chasis bats. I was hooked to 30 amp shore power. I noticed the readout on the dimensions panel was reading 14.6 volts and 100 amps.

any ideas what may be going on. I tried to shut down the dimensions charger but the readout had an over ride statement. I was able to lower amps to 10 and the EMS readout was reading 4 amps. Prior readout was 14 amps on EMS panel.

I have noticed a small wet spot in this area before but never paid much attention to it as i have found several water leaks over the past six months of ownership.

Since electrical problems have plagued this coach since it's conception is it possible that the problem i had with the chasis bat also contribute to the house bats?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

How old are the batteries? Most likely you have a battery with a bad cell. Have you tried checking the batteries with a hydrometer?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Journey 36G 2007. Deliveredd in May 07.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi jk_and_dog,

Sounds like it may be time to get rid of that Dimensions inverter/charger. Could be a shorted SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) if it stays at 14.6 volts all the time or it could be applying an equalizing charge inappropriately. I love how they get around calling it a modified sine inverter by saying "Quasi-sine wave, with waveform stabilizer".

Normal float charge voltage should not be over 13.4 volts to prevent boiling away the water in the batteries. Monitor the voltage for a while to get a feel for what the charger is doing and then decide how to tackle any problem.

Here is a link to the Dimensions inverter/charger used by Winnebago.

http://www.airpaxdimensions.com/RV_12V_1600_3600.html
Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you have a Demensions inverter, it may be set too high or defective. We lost 5 batteries before we found the problem. Do a search on here . Good Luck
Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had that happen on our trip to Florida. Apparently 1 bad cell can take out all the batteries. They were replaced under warranty.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hdvectra:
How old are the batteries? Most likely you have a battery with a bad cell. Have you tried checking the batteries with a hydrometer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah - that's my bet as well. A bad cell(s) will trick the charger into thinking the battery bank is very discharged and needs to be charged at a high rate which then causes gassing/boiling of the electrolyte.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the water levels monthly? If not, you likely ran them low and the charger couldn't get them up to par. Or, I had a shorted cell in my chassis battery and the house batteries were overcharged to destruction. I lost 3 sets of house batteries before anyone found the cause.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We had the same thing happen on our 2007 Itasca
2 months after delivery.The carbon monoxiode detector was going off(1-2 beeps every so often) and the inverter had a strange message.We found one bad battery and replaced it,no problems in 4 months.Hope this helps
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote