Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'm adding an electric fireplace ro my 40FD. It will go in the space under the TV where the optional fireplace would have originally gone. In the rear of the cabinet space is what appears to be a dual 110vac outlet that is a "dummy". The slots for the spades and the ground are molded in, but not punched through. Is this an actual outlet, or do I need to replace it with a real one? I have seen this style of outlet in other spots, is it just used as a junction box?
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm adding an electric fireplace ro my 40FD. It will go in the space under the TV where the optional fireplace would have originally gone. In the rear of the cabinet space is what appears to be a dual 110vac outlet that is a "dummy". The slots for the spades and the ground are molded in, but not punched through. Is this an actual outlet, or do I need to replace it with a real one? I have seen this style of outlet in other spots, is it just used as a junction box?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It does appear that the 'dummy' outlets are junction points. There are even some that only have one working socket and one dummy (behind the fridge.)

If memory serves me right, those RV type of electrical outlets are a two-piece assembly. The bottom part makes mechanical/electrical connection with the wire and the top part is the socket or dummy socket assembly.

I think it is possible to simply replace the top half with a non-dummy socket. If you are going to either Elkhart or Forest City, you can find lots of them in surplus stores.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what it might be but it is probably wiring for the fireplace fan. Open it up and see if there is wiring (maybe with wire nuts joining the circuit). If so, just install a plug using the wiring. WB pre wires all their coaches and if a fireplace was an option that was not origionally selected, the wiring for the option would be there. Good Luck!!

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

That is just a junction box, but can easily be converted to an outlet by just changing the cover. The reason some have only one outlet & one blank is because that is a 20 amp outlet. for some reason in the RV style outlets only the 15 amp has two outlets.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Those devices are referred to as SCD (self contained devices) that are used by the manufactured home and RV industries. They are quick to install and there is a tool for installation. Here is a link Pass & Seymour SCDs. Most of the RV manufacturers use devices with an attached front plate, the Pass & Seymour use an additional trim plate. You can get 15 & 20 amp receptacles, switches and junction points in all the decorator colors.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I needed an outlet under the bed to plug in a home made heater (0, 24, 48, or 96 Watts selectable) for the compartment where the water heater drain is (it froze up on us one year). There is an outlet there that had two sockets but one was covered. Turn off the power and being very careful, trim out the plugs to open up the socket and ˜plug in'.

The brass contacts are the same in the junction, single, and double boxes. The idea is that the manufacturing cost is reduced by using the same metal parts for all the boxes and the cost to injection mold the three different types of face plate is about a wash.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I want to thank everyone for their replys. After some help from Troy at Winnebago service, I found the outlet intended for the fireplace, ready to go. Thanx for the ideas and suggestions.