Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I want a better patio light for my coach and have been doing a lot of looking and have found very little avaliable. I have an idea to install a 70 watt low profile soduim light on the kichen slide about the height of the microwave plug in the cabinet(avaliable at large home imp. stores. I have them at my home and they put out a lot!! of light. I would drill a hole and wire a plug that I would use. I realize it would be a drain on the batteries but would be better than other lighting. Also it would only stick out the side of the coach 1" more than the awning legs do now!
Any Ideas on this or bad Idea

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I want a better patio light for my coach and have been doing a lot of looking and have found very little avaliable. I have an idea to install a 70 watt low profile soduim light on the kichen slide about the height of the microwave plug in the cabinet(avaliable at large home imp. stores. I have them at my home and they put out a lot!! of light. I would drill a hole and wire a plug that I would use. I realize it would be a drain on the batteries but would be better than other lighting. Also it would only stick out the side of the coach 1" more than the awning legs do now!
Any Ideas on this or bad Idea

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you really want to irritate your campground neighbors, I can't think of a better idea than a sodium vapor light on your coach.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Check out the 12 volt LED flood light on this web site. Not pretty but ??
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Give me a brake here please:W, I failed to explain that I play the part of camp chef a lot on remote boondocking trips and the light would only be for cooking and entertaing hours, of course in a quite park setting it would very seldom be if ever used. It is a 110 volt light and the amount of light it puts out for its size is great plus I happen to have an extra one

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I saw a ThinLite (florescent tubes) light that is supposed to be a direct replacement for the common 12V outdoor porchlight on most RVs. It was kinda pricey (around $67), but is reputed to put out much more light. I'm still considering it, but haven't made up my mind yet. Next time I'm in the RV store here in Yuma, I'll get more details and let you know.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Lucchese1,

How about a portable halogen light? You can plug it in and aim it up toward the side of your coach. It would give plenty of reflected light and wouildn't require more holes in the fiberglas.

I've seen them done that way before sitting on a small table or tripod and they put out a ton of light without blinding the neighbors.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You might want to look in the West Marine catalog. They have some nice, bright and innovative 12 volt lighting that might work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I like the portable halogen light idea from CHIPPYSGT. I've seen people using those very successfully and as Doug says " they put out a ton of light without blinding the neighbors " and also sr efficient and require less energy than some other types of lights.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I made a portable outdoor floor lamp. Works great on Porch/Patio or Campsite.
The light looks like a normal residential post lantern. I used square pvc fence post cut to size and 4 pvc pipes for a tripod legs. The legs are removable. The top is a white post light/lantern and is lightweight aluminum. I wired a white outdoor cord. The post also has a bracket to hold your nameplate or a small decorative flag or US flag. If anyone is interested I could post a picture.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Old 01-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Halogen lights are NOT energy efficient. Yes they do emit a great deal of light, but the small portable "shop light" is usually a minimum of 300 watts!!! (most are 500 watts!). You'd be much better off using a fluorescent fixture. The post lamp above would work nicely. To make it brighter, use a fixture that is a single bulb, incandescent lamp and replace the bulb with a "Twist Type" fluorescent which has a 100 watt rating. A 100 watt rated fluorescent bulb usually is around 26 watts to operate and will be plenty bright and very energy efficient.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Here's One that we're considering from Thin-Lite. About $44.00

Here's another that's 2x as bright, more than we need, but maybe just right for your situation. About $48.00

Mac
Old 01-11-2006, 04:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

FlashG,

How did you attach the 45 degree adapters to the post? Are the adapters fixed to the post, with the legs removable from there? Any trouble with wind?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

To Retired and Happy,

The 45 angles are pipe fittings with short couplers on the inside of the post glued in place. the pipe legs are just dry fitted into the 45 degree elbows. No trouble in the wind at all. You can even decorate it for the holidays with Christmas decorations.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for your suggestions, they all would have worked but I got a Wild hair yesterday and went and installed the sodium light. The hardest part of the whole thing was after finding the proper location, was acually drillng a 1/2" hole into the side of my new coach. But after it was done it looks great and works perfect. The unit was from Lowes, is water tight and the bronze cover matches the color of the coach perfectly. I mounted it centered above the kitchen window below the awning cover and it only sticks out 4", less than the slide out awning cover by 1/2" and almost looks from the factory. I use the micro plug on the inside for the light and it only pulls 2.2 amps so plenty left if I still need to use them together. I also did check for heat against the side of the coach befor the install so as not to melt the paint and it was less than a 100 watt bulb produces. And yes I will only use it while I am remote and I promise not to give any neighbors tans when I am campepd next to them LOL

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

There was an '02 Blurbird parked next to us in the Keys last year, and his patio light was just like what I wanted. I did a little checking when I got back home, and found out it was a ThinLite 162, like the one Mac and JB mentioned. I ordered and installed one, and I like it a lot.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote