Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Best Chassis Batteries to Buy for DP?

I pretty sure my 2 year old, maintenance-free, chassis batteries need replacing. What Group# should I buy, as well as well as gel cell vs lead-acid?
Should I go back with the DEKA's or maybe some other brand?

I think I let them get too low during storage in freezing weather.

Thanks, ...Doug 2003 Journey DL 36GD, 330 Cat
p00ches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

It works well to replace with what the manufacture reccomends. In your spec.sheet it will tell you.the correct class/size..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

p00ches,
Well Sir, I'm sure you know that you know the "CCA" or Cold Cranking Amps and Group size. The CCA from the factory is a certain amount. It's always been a good practice to go up in CCAs when you purchase replacement batteries for the chassis. The reason, the "System" is now aged. That is, all the components in the starting, charging, ground and wiring is now a bit older and has has time to age a bit and there for develop more resistance in all of it as compared to when all of it was brand new from the factory.

As for your group or size, you may be already at your largest size. As for "Gel" or "Lead-Acid", I'm not schooled in what would be the best choice there. I've never had bad luck with Lead Acid. Yep, they will sulfate once in a while, and, depending on your charging system and it's operational characteristics, you can get corrosion and all the "fur" all over the terminals and cables but, a little maintenance once in a while will take care of that.

As for name brand, there's been lot's of talk for years on which ones are the best or, have the best rep and or warranty etc. I've had some bad luck with 12V Interstate House batts so, I personally won't be going Interstate next time I need either house or chassis but, others have had good luck and will use them. My son works for an RV repair facility in San Diego and all they use is "Lifeline" brand, AGM batteries. Don't know about the rep on those and or warranty etc. I know they're expensive. But, what isn't? Anyway, as stated, I'd get the most CCAs that you can fit if it were me.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Built On Freightliner info for the 2003 Journey DL calls for "Two 760 CCA @ 0oF (-18oC); maintenance-free" chassis/starting batteries, so you'd want to make sure any new batteries meet or better those specs.

My guess would be that you want Group 31 (that's what I have in my 2005 Vectra).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When I replaced mine, Maintenance Free Lead Acid Gp 31, 1000 amp CCA at the low temp rating, I shopped around and found the best deal at Shucks/O'Reilly. Their house brand is made by Johnson Controls. Batteries + house brand is made by DEKA.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I replaced our two 950 CCA batteries with two 1000 CCA ones after 9½ years and then a couple weeks after that I replaced the four 9½ year old Interstate U-2200's with four more U-2200's.
Tried to replace the 7 year old battery in my Ody (an '05 bought in Dec '04) today but one bolt head is partly gone and I can't get anything on it but a deep well socket. Guess which socket I can't find?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I took someone's advice to check with Batteries Plus for a pair of chassis batteries. Our group 31-p MHD batteries with 950 CCA won't get the diesel engine started anymore and I am not sure how old they are.
Their exact replacements are $109 ea., and the 1000 cca are 139 each. Prices look good compared to Interstate. !8 month free replacement and then pro-rated warr.
Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with them?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Don't know about them (Batteries Plus), but, I flattened a set of Interstate starting 31 series . I mean dead dead. I told the Interstate that the batteries were a year plus old and that it was my fault that this happened.

I don't know about all Interstate shops, but mine replaced the pair for no charge.

Guess where I'll buy my next set of starting batteries!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #9

Interstate batteries are good stuff.
In some cases, you just might get what you pay for.
In a lot of cases maybe.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Interstate make rally good chassis batteries. The Group number should be on your old batteries. I would get the same size batteries unless someone swapped them already for smaller than the OE batteries.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I got the best deal on two 950 CCA grp 31 maintenance free batteries from NAPA.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #12

In my search for the truth. I found that Jonhson MFG. Makes interstate. That was nice to know.. Now for the rest of the story;; They also make Walmarts Batteries;; I allways got a kick out of the guy that said he would only buy Interstate Batteries. And not Walmart;; DAH::::::
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

One thing to remember, even though interstate's and Walmart batteries are made by the same company that doesn't mean they are made to the same spec's.
Ecodriver05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecodriver05 View Post
One thing to remember, even though interstate's and Walmart batteries are made by the same company that doesn't mean they are made to the same spec's.
Absolutely correct, of course. I always get a kick out of folks that think just because the same factory makes more than one brand of something that they are all the same quality. Sometimes, maybe, but certainly not always.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #15

If you have a pea for a brain you can look at the Cranking amps. And all the other Power factors IF they are the same. Which When I Compaired them they were the same .. The battery weighed the same. BUT cost about .30% less. Now go figuer;;; I have the fact sheet. No need to shop;. Why do I get upset when someone starts tearing down a post with no facts. Just WELL I THINK::::
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

If you have a fact sheet then please post it so others can make an informed decision. No need to make snide comments.
Ecodriver05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis