Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom furnace quit working.

2006 Itasca 40FD. We woke up this morning to a non functional bedroom furnace. Main furnace is working fine and propane levels are good. I listened to the thermostat click as if it were trying to turn on the furnace and heard the proper sound of the switch. Have anyone of you experienced this problem? If you have a solution or can tell me how to diagnose the problem I would deeply appreciate it.
Jeff35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My bedroom furnace quit too. I took the cover off outside with the thermostat turned off. The blower fan squirrel cage was accessible to my fingers and was stuck, not turning. Took the cover off the cage, 4 screws and several wires. Rotated the cage until it started turning easily. Turned on thermostat. Worked OK. Put everything back together.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
My bedroom furnace quit too. I took the cover off outside with the thermostat turned off. The blower fan squirrel cage was accessible to my fingers and was stuck, not turning. Took the cover off the cage, 4 screws and several wires. Rotated the cage until it started turning easily. Turned on thermostat. Worked OK. Put everything back together.
Generally if the motor bearings get tight the lubrication in the motor is gone and the motor will need to be replaced soon. It will seize again
Old 01-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Where is the cover. I am a new RV Owner.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I found the cover and removed it. The squirrel cage runs freely. Because we had a fierce rainstorm just before it quit working, I thought it may have tripped a circuit breaker. Does any one know if the unit has a reset button. I could not find any circuit breakers off or in the out position.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my 04 Vectra (older sister to your 06 Ellipse) there is a set of push-type 12v fuses in the bedroom, one of which is for the rear furnace. On mine these fuses (along with the 120v circuit breakers) are on the side of the bed platform closest to the front of the coach, behind a removable fabric panel. Not sure where yours are located, but likely you have a similar setup.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine are in the same place. The circuit breakers are not popped. I wondered if the unit itself has a reset button.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

This is weird timing I have the same year and model MH. Last week I removed the rear furnace because it has not worked in years. To test it's hard to get to the wires you need to slide the unit out. It's easy remove the screw on the fan housing foot just one screw. Remove the gas hose unplug the wires slide the thing out. At these point you can take it to someone to check it out. What I did is got on youtube then tested my unit per the video and found nothing wrong. Tested the MH for power and ground and put it back in and she works great. It most have been a bad connection.
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff35 View Post
I found the cover and removed it. The squirrel cage runs freely. Because we had a fierce rainstorm just before it quit working, I thought it may have tripped a circuit breaker. Does any one know if the unit has a reset button. I could not find any circuit breakers off or in the out position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff35 View Post
Mine are in the same place. The circuit breakers are not popped. I wondered if the unit itself has a reset button.
Jeff35
Very few, (if any), propane furnaces are protected by a circuit breaker.
(Because RV propane furnaces operate using 12VDC most are protected by one or more fuses).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

On our Winnebago models (Vectra/Ellipse) the rear furnace is protected by a 12v push-type breaker. The OP has already checked that.

Personally, before tearing into the furnace I'd give the thermostat another look. My OEM one failed about 4 years ago and I had to replace it, as have others. Just because you hear the little magnet clicking when you move the temp setting it doesn't mean it's sending 12v to the furnace. The contacts can get 'old' over time and not make a good connection. Get out a meter and make sure it's sending power when it clicks on. There is also a way to jump a couple of the wires on the back to try to send power to the furnace (google it.) You've done the basics, checking propane, 12v fuse, squirrel blower moving freely, setting to "Heat" and not "Air" if it has the dual switch... I'd dig a bit deeper there... it's a lot easier to check that end first before tearing into the furnace.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Jeff
i just had the exact same issue with my Adventurer. i replaced the thermostat and all good,
hope this is all you need
Pacakazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Furance

On our 2000 UA 40J the front furnace stopped working pulled the unit replaced the motor and now works great, easy to pull and work on I was going to purchase a new heater but decided to save 500 on repairing ours.

The brushes on the motor were wore out.

Tom

Tags
ace, furnace