Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Just wanted to give you an update!

We picked up the MH yesterday from the dealer. They said the battery tested good! I guess the 70 mile drive to the dealer somehow got it going again.

My battery charger is the kind that will not put out any charge voltage unless it sees a battery on the leads. It would not see that one when it was fully discharged!

We found there is a switch that allows the radio and associated electronics to operate from chassis OR house batteries. It was set to chassis. They may have left the radio on and ran the battery down!

We are going to keep a trickle charger on the chassis battery when she is not using the MH. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Thanks so much Joe.

Well....now that you mention it...there is a switch on the dash that allows one to change the power source for the radio/nav/entertainment center. If it is left in the chassis position the system only operates with the ignition key. Key in ACC or ON Llows radio to work. In "house" mode it will run off the house battery independent of the ignition key.

Something else may have been happening.

I ran into a similar problem with a charger several months ago when helping a neighbor. Unknown to me....my 'pricy, high speed, low drag, anodized, microprocesser based chargers will NOT charge a flattened or near dead battery. Tried both of them....NADA! In a "Hail Mary" attempt to get her going, I tried my 30 year old analog Shumacher with real toggle switches and a "steam gauge." Hooked it up and plugged it in and schazaam! It started picking up a charge rate.

Lesson learned......sometimes old school IS better.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:20 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just wanted to give you an update!

We picked up the MH yesterday from the dealer. They said the battery tested good! I guess the 70 mile drive to the dealer somehow got it going again.

My battery charger is the kind that will not put out any charge voltage unless it sees a battery on the leads. It would not see that one when it was fully discharged!

We found there is a switch that allows the radio and associated electronics to operate from chassis OR house batteries. It was set to chassis. They may have left the radio on and ran the battery down!

We are going to keep a trickle charger on the chassis battery when she is not using the MH. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Most modern charges work as you described, if they don't see a certain voltage they will not go into the charge mode. The way to get around this is to take a second battery attach jumper cables between the two (in parallel with the dead unit-positive to positive, negative to negative). Then connect the charger to the pair. The charger sees the voltage from the second battery and begins the charging process. Most manufactures recommend not charging AGMs above 10amps so as to not over heat the battery.

All batteries self discharge. If the battery were discharge for a long period of time it could be damaged and only holding a surface charge, enough to start the vehicle but if a light or some other drain were left on over night the vehicle may not start, it is the same symptom as a bad cell.

Best to test this theory in the driveway before heading out on a trip.

Once the battery's voltage falls below around 1.75 volts per cell, permanent damage begins to take place in a process known as hard sulfation. Essentially, the plates become coated with dense lead sulfate crystals, reducing the battery's capacity.

Info on the Chassis battery disconnect, if you use it, wait 10 minutes after the engine has been shut off before disconnecting the cable. Also make sure the steps are retracted on a Navion/View they are operated from the Chassis battery. I have left my Navion after using the disconnect under the dash for six months without a charger or tender never having a problem.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #44
Winnebago Watcher

Jump starting a 2013 Navion

I know about the 12v positive pin under the hood, the red plastic button, but I have never seen or heard where to connect the negative battery cable clamp. On mine, there is a engine hoist ring to the left of the positive pin and below it that looks like a good ground , but it's strange that the manuals don't show or tell where they suggest the negative jumper cable clamp should attach.

Bernie
bglewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, itasca, water