Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know how to remove the slide out battery trays in a Journey? I've tried to remove them as one would remove a roller bearing drawer; by pulling it to the end stop and lifting up, and pulling back. No good. If there is a latch, I have not been able to locate it. Or is there a hole where a punch could move a latch?

If you're wondering why I want to remove the tray it is because the paint is peeling off and it is rusting. I want to take just the tray into the garage and strip it down, sand it, primer it, and then put a coat of rhino lining in it. Remember the old saying: "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it again?"

Thanks,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know how to remove the slide out battery trays in a Journey? I've tried to remove them as one would remove a roller bearing drawer; by pulling it to the end stop and lifting up, and pulling back. No good. If there is a latch, I have not been able to locate it. Or is there a hole where a punch could move a latch?

If you're wondering why I want to remove the tray it is because the paint is peeling off and it is rusting. I want to take just the tray into the garage and strip it down, sand it, primer it, and then put a coat of rhino lining in it. Remember the old saying: "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it again?"

Thanks,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
Old 12-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Aux Brake: none until legally required -- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I beleive every state has a law on the books about an aux. Brake on a trailer with a weight of at least 1000 lbs. Your dingy is a trailer when being pulled by the motor home. And I know of no car that weighs less than 1000 lbs.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

bobpie, you are correct. However I believe the aux brake has become a must have accessory only because of the pecuinary interests of the aux brake manufactures and RV service centers who install them...and try to maintain them when they malfunction. I have never seen emprical data on how many motor home accidents are caused by failure to stop. Of those which do happen, how many were towing a vehicle? And of those towing a vehicle, how many did not have an aux brake? Betcha a buck you can count them on the fingers of one hand. The stats published by aux brake manufactures are done under controlled (labratory) conditions. If using one makes you feel safer, then go for it. I'm in the group (minority group though it may be) that believes the aux brake is not worth the time and effort and expense. The mechanic I use told me for every aux brake system he has installed, he's been asked to uninstall 2. It was when I was trying to schedule the installation of the very aux brake you use from roadmaster that we had that discussion. He told me not to waste my money and I have made a rational and considered decision, however unpopular it may be, to follow his advice. If I ever get a traffic citation or have an accident, I'll reconsider, but I think the odds are in my favor.

Any ideas on how I can get that darned battery tray out?

Larry
Old 12-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Larry:

I tried to remove mine last year to de-rust and paint them. All I could determine was to remove the L shaped tabs which allow you to more fully extend them but I could not get the trays out. I even called Kwikee (they made them on my rig) and they said they were not made to be removed from their tracks.

So, I covered surrounding surfaces with cardboard and sandblasted them as best I could where they are. Then painted them with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, followed by high heat flat black paint. So far, so good.

If you figure a way to get them out, let us know.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

There should be four bolts holding the assembly to a frame, I just removed the whole thing and took it into my shop for repairs.

2000 Journey 36L
mopargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KEØM:
I believe the aux brake has become a must have accessory only because of the pecuinary interests of the aux brake manufactures and RV service centers who install them...

never seen emprical data on how many motor home accidents are caused by failure to stop.

He told me not to waste my money

I have made a rational and considered decision

Any ideas on how I can get that xxxxxx battery tray out?

Larry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

If you get involved in a fatal accident those statements won't provide much comfort to the victims family. A mechanic advising one to scoff the laws of saftey and then aids and abets is not doing anyone a real favor, could loose his license and could be considered guilty of a criminal act. If you continue to choose to go without it might be best to keep that decision under your hat so it can't come back on you because someone followed your lead on this and had an accident.

On the tray. If the slides are not welded in then unbolt it, pop the rivets etc and take it on out. Then refurbish it and put it back in using fresh new fasteners of equal or higher grade to those you took out.

Regards,
Old 12-09-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys, that's good advice.

Larry
Old 12-09-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It was when I was trying to schedule the installation of the very aux brake you use from roadmaster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The installation is simple, you stick it on the floor and clamp it to the brake pedal and plug it into the cigar lighter. Good post Neil.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

KEOM ...

I was unable to get my tray out last year ... so I removed the L brackets ... I masked area and repainted in place.

I ordered battery mats from the internet and covered the bottom of the tray before returning the batteries to the tray ... this has stopped the corrosion that was raising havoc with the battery trays.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks skigramp - that does it. It looks like the refurb will be done in situ. Not as convenient but it needs to be done. So what if it means working out in the sun rather than a warm garage.