Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Battery specs

I have a 2004 35U Adventurer. My house batteries are in need of replacement. They are labeled Autocraft Marine Starting deep cycle. I'm thinking these are not the original ones. Given so I don't want to replace based on whats in there now. Does Winnebago have an application chart for replacement batteries? I'm leaning towards an Interstate battery but open to suggestions.

Craig
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you are not going to transition over to golf cart type six volt batteries, I'd suggest getting the biggest Deep Cycle 12 volt batteries that will fit into your battery box. My Journey came with group 27 deep cycle batteries from the factory, I replaced them with group 31 deep cycle batteries to gain more reserve capacity.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A 2004 likely came with Interstate, as did my 2003 Ultimate, which had 3 Interstate Gp 29's in the house bank from the factory. I replaced the originals in 2007 with Gp 29's from Walmart. One of them shorted out last week and I again replaced with Walmart Maxx29's. As I recall, Interstate is made by Johnson Controls. They also make the Walmart Maxx brand. I figure wherever I go in my fulltime travels, I'm always near a Walmart.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

I replaced Ours with With a brand called DYNO. They are made in Seattle Wa. the Ballard Area. #3 of in our Ultimate Advantage . I like them; Have used them In the Boating/marine industary; You can tour the plant If you like; The Origenal owner hes Passed away But his wife worhs the front counter, and a finer lady you will never meet; They build all there batteries there and there Export business is Large; They are the Best;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
If you are not going to transition over to golf cart type six volt batteries, I'd suggest getting the biggest Deep Cycle 12 volt batteries that will fit into your battery box.
SECOND.

There only three things you need to consider

First and foremost is the space provided WILL THE BATTERY(Ies) FIT?
Second: Type. Deep cycle is best for house batteries..

The final one is not really a consideration: Some folks push OPTIMA, I admit I would too if someone tried to sell me one,, I'd push it ... AWAY
Optima's ahve like 2/3 the capacity of other batteries of the same size.

So the third consideration is NO OPTIMAS.

There is a 4th one too

Flooded wet cell (Best bang for buck)
Mintenance free (if hard to get at for fluid level checks)
AGM (Can be mounted in odd ways, like upside down, sidewys, on end)
Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

cef2lion,
I don't know if you've been following my thread on Interstate batteries or not but, just in case not, here's the short end. We recently purchased a 2004 Itasca 36GD D/P and it had three, 10 month old Interstate group 29, 12V Deep Cycle/Marine/RV. I thought I was in for the long haul with those new house batteries.

Well, as it turns out, they're not so good. Now before anyone gets all hot and bothered here, this is MY experience with them. Many have had very good service out of Interstate batteries. Apparantly, mine were not of the quality that have been in service before. Anyway, I won't disallow Interstates, they seem to have a good reputation. I'm not a fan and, many here aren't of, 12V deep cycle batteries.

Many have gone to or, had them come stock from the factory, 6V golf cart batteries. Way more ampere hours per given size. They will last longer in a given situation than their counterpart 12V deep cycle. If you even consider it, it's worth it. Very simple to wire them up correctly. But, because you'll need two for 12v operation, and 4 if you really want some longevity and duration camping, you'll have to do some measuring to see what's going to fit.

Other than that, the boys have recommended Walmart's group 29 or 31, if they'll fit, that too is a fairly good choice. You can go with the high end AGM too, but, I've no experience with them so I can't comment on those. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You do know that Wall-Marts are made by Johnson Controls don't you?

Guess who makes Interstate (Johnson Controls)

Though I think US-Battery may make some of them. Depending on where you buy.
I stress THINK, as I really do not know for sure.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Currently I have two group 24 for house batteries and a group 78 for the chassis. I have read all the comments and suggestion as well as other threads.

I was wondering what group the house and chassis batteries were when coach was new? Seems like the house might have been group 27. If staying with 12V and they would fit it is suggested moving to 29 or 31. What group number are most running for the chassis?

My house batteries are ok for now but I know I need to be planning for replacement. Giving consideration to fitting 4 6V golf cart batteries. I have a thread bookmarked with a picture of that install. All 6V sideways and the chassis all the way forward.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Most auto batteries are made by 3 manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls.

Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart/Walmart....

Exide makes Champion, Napa, and some EverStart batteries...

Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts...
I've been told that Exide is now producing the Maxx batteries for Walmart at this time...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Question

Hi , I have a 04 horizon kd 39' . I am needing new house batteries also. Could you pleasre tell which 6 volt batteries you choose and how did they fit? Thanks Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
cef2lion,
I don't know if you've been following my thread on Interstate batteries or not but, just in case not, here's the short end. We recently purchased a 2004 Itasca 36GD D/P and it had three, 10 month old Interstate group 29, 12V Deep Cycle/Marine/RV. I thought I was in for the long haul with those new house batteries.

Well, as it turns out, they're not so good. Now before anyone gets all hot and bothered here, this is MY experience with them. Many have had very good service out of Interstate batteries. Apparantly, mine were not of the quality that have been in service before. Anyway, I won't disallow Interstates, they seem to have a good reputation. I'm not a fan and, many here aren't of, 12V deep cycle batteries.

Many have gone to or, had them come stock from the factory, 6V golf cart batteries. Way more ampere hours per given size. They will last longer in a given situation than their counterpart 12V deep cycle. If you even consider it, it's worth it. Very simple to wire them up correctly. But, because you'll need two for 12v operation, and 4 if you really want some longevity and duration camping, you'll have to do some measuring to see what's going to fit.

Other than that, the boys have recommended Walmart's group 29 or 31, if they'll fit, that too is a fairly good choice. You can go with the high end AGM too, but, I've no experience with them so I can't comment on those. Good luck.
Scott
mrzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #11

The 6 volt batteries of choice are trojans. They are huge by tall, and heavy with a capitol H. They hold some serious power.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
The 6 volt batteries of choice are trojans. They are huge by tall, and heavy with a capitol H. They hold some serious power.
The T105s are standard GC2 size including height, 10 11/6" and the T125 is 10 7/8" tall.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Our 01 Adventurer came with Motorcraft Group 31 batteries. They died in the summer of 2004. We replaced them with Sears Die Hard Group 31 Marine batteries and they're still going strong. We don't do a lot of boondocking so they don't get run down to the minimum. If I had it to do all over again I'd make the same choice.

In 2009 just before our trip to Newfoundland we changed out the starting battery for a Sears Die Hard. I don't think it really matters who manufactrers the batteries they're made to the customers specs. If the customer (Sears, Walmart, Interstate, etc) is selling on price only they're probably not asking for the best materials and performance available. We always try to get the largest amp hour batteries available for the money. You might pay a few more dollars up front but in most cases it's worth it.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the starting battery with a group 78. Still watching the coach batteries. When it was parked at my brothers for over a month and plugged in someone hit the battery disconnect switch and they were not being charged. Since then they seem to be fine after charging.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #15

All intersting posts;;My experiance is; That no matter what brand/manufacture, A battery Can not Be left in an uncharged state;; as it starts to sulfate imedetulay; And that starts the demise process of the battery and can NOT be reversed; I do not Put anything in to a battery except Distilled water; Now in the Seattle area you can use Tap water; The essance is DO NOT store a battery unless it is FULLY charged; And most of the time your battery will last 6 to 8 years; Some will dissagree , That's ok; I keep ours charged even when Boondocking and they lasted 10 years and were not Bad; They still tested ok; I wanted them replaced. As the battery is only a storage unit; You must keep it full; Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

You want the largest capacity deep cycle battery(s) that will fit in the space available. I like 12v batteries and rely on the manufacturer's spec of Reserve Capacity at 25 amps discharge (RC25). This is the number of minutes that the battery can provide 25 amps before dropping below 11.? volts. It is a standard measurement/specification for deep cycle batteries. I believe flooded batteries offer the best bang for the buck and don't require different charging voltages that AGM batteries do.
When you start shopping, check out the RC25 spec (make sure it is not something less than 25 as many publish 23 or 20 to make their products look better) You should be looking for 200 to 225 minutes RC25 for a group 31 battery and a lesser amount for a group 29 or 27. The difference between grp 31 batteries that offer 200 minutes vs 225 minutes is likely in the thickness of the plates and the larger capacity battery will weigh more even though it is the same size/group. Stay away from dual purpose starting/deep cycle batteries as they will have a lower deep cycle reserve capacity. Also, if a flooded battery is "maintenance free", it is not likely a true deep cycle battery. You also ideally want all batteries in your "bank" to be the same type/capacity/age/manufacturer for optimal charging and life. You should also be charging your bank with a good 3 stage charger to reach full charge and realize maximum life. Hope this helps,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

IN truth there is not a lot to recommend brand over brand b save for a couple of brands (Trojan and Lifeline).. What you need to do is think about the bang for your buck.

Some battery facts

Group 24 are about 70-75 amp hours each
Group 27 just under 100 amp hours each
Group 29 just over 100 amp hours each
Group 31 about 120 amp hours each

the common GC-2 Golf Car battery is 220 amp hours, but six volt, you put two of them in series you get 220 amp hours..

An 8-D is about 220 amp hours

In addition the Golf car battery is a DEEP CYCLE, not a "Marine/Deep Cycle" some people (Myself included) believe that these are better for RV use becuse from time to time it will happen you will take them down a bit deep, say 50 percent or less State of Charge, and the Deep Cycles come back from this a tad better than the Marine types.

HOWEVER, The GC-2 is usually a flooded wet cell, you have to add water and they need cleaning more often than sealed lead acid types such as Maintenance free.

But, they also cost less, as a generall rule

and thus, that is what I recommend.

Tags
battery