Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Battery Solenoid?

2000 Itasca Suncruser. Engine no longer charges house batteries. When I had a shop fix this they replaced a Solenoid 8T80 under the step. After a year the house batteries are not being charged again. I looked at replacing the Solenoid myself and find there are two Solenoids under the step. On that they replace and one next to it that says the words "House and Chassis"?
My question is should I replace the 8T80 again or consider the other Solenoid being an issue? And if I am to replace either is there some issues I need to consider doing this? Such as turning off Salesman switch or unplugging from the grid?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a boost start switch? If so, can you hear the solenoid click when you hit boost? If not, the problem is with the battery isolation solenoid. The one that has house on one side and chassis on the other.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have never used the Boost Switch, do I turn the key on and push it and just listen for the click? If no click this Solenoid would keep the house battery's from charging from the engine?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I have never used the Boost Switch, do I turn the key on and push it and just listen for the click? If no click this Solenoid would keep the house battery's from charging from the engine?
Yep. I would turn the key on and hit the switch without starting. You should hear it click. It is the same solenoid that allows the house to charge from the alternator while running.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ok it clicks! So its the 8T80 again? Is there something a guy should know about changing this Solenoid out?

Should I consider a test like jumping it?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Page 4 of the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows that the Battery Disconnect solenoid is on the right, the Battery Boost on the left.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The PDF don't seem to work. I think the ST80 is on the left and the Solenoid that says House and Chassis is on the right?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well, from the drawing the isolation solenoid is on the left and the disconnect is on the right. The isolation solenoid will be all metal, shiny when new. Generally the disconnect may say trombetta and has some plastic parts.

When you fire the boost switch, the voltage between both heavy duty lugs and ground should be the same. When you let it up the voltages can be different. The voltage across the coil should be 12 v when it is engaged.

When you start the engine and leave the boost switch alone, the solenoid should be powered after a minute or two and you should see 12v across the coil again. If so, you are charging from the alternator.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I can tell the engine is not changing my house batteries looking at the volt meter in the hall panel when the engine is running.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

i am sure you can...do you want to fix it? In order to do that you need to figure out what isn't working correctly and preventing you from charging when on the road.

Does the generator start? If so it isn't the disconnect solenoid.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ok, yes the generator starts. So I guess I have no issue!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

That just means that the battery disconnect is working.

Try this, start the engine. You say that looking at the voltmeter tells you that the engine isn't charging the batteries. Look at the voltmeter and then press the boost start switch with the engine running. If the voltage goes up when you do that, the problem is not the solenoid switch but the circuit that feeds it.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Winnebago puts letters on the wires every few inches. The drawing below shows the Battery Mode (boost) and Battery disconnect solenoids. You can tell which one is the boost solenoid by checking the letters on the wires. Winnebago uses the same letters on most models but if yours don't match you can download the drawing for your model from Winnebago HERE.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help! I was thinking I might just buy a $30 item and replace what they replaced at the shop last year that fixed my problem. I was thinking it might be simple to do, but I guess I will go ahead and pay a guy two hours labor to change out the part again.... Thanks again

Tags
battery, solenoid