Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

battery question

Hi, My Rv has been in just sitting in the garage for the last two years. Its been plugged in most of the time. Just the other day one of the batteries started smoking so I removed it. It was a big Walmart battery 2012. The other battery is a 2009 marine battery. I'm going to try to sell my motor home and I want to replace these two batteries . My question is what batteries should I buy? I want to get some decent ones that will work well and be dependable for whoever buys it so what would you recommend.
ohligerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
1999 chieftain 33

Most of the time RVs have three batteries to for the house and one for the starting of the engine you did not state what you have. if it happens to be one of the house batteries strongly suggest you replace both of the house batteries at one time and you could probably get away with group 24 marine batteries that's a deep cycle battery from minimum amount of bucks I would not use a group 24 if I were planning to keep the RV as it is going to have a minimal but serviceable amount of reserved amperage to run your equipment under normal circumstances. If it is a starting battery a starting only battery go with the battery the coordinates with the engine you have generally it will be in a 350 truck or bigger.
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you have a NAPA or such near you I would ask for their recommendations. Walmart batteries that I have had have not held up and they don't honor their warranty.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, its the two house batteries. I just wanted to get some good batteries to replace these. I don't want to break the bank but I also didn't want to stick whoever buys it with some junkie ones that's going to give them problems. So do you think the group 24 marine batteries would be good enough or do I need to get a step up? And what would that be?
ohligerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Costco, Sam's Club or Walmart marine group 24 batteries will be just fine. You might want to compare the price to two 6V golf cart batteries of comparable quality, which could be a selling point (it would be for me). Just make sure they will fit (especially height-wise).

Other than the 6V option, I don't see the need to invest in higher quality batteries, especially if you're going to sell. I've used Costco batteries (both marine and 6V) for years without any issues.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago comes with NAPA group 24 out of the factory in most units. They are adequate - not great but we buy them anyway. Make sure they are deep cycle at least (Mine came with marine starting batteries!) Good Luck!
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenman05 View Post
Winnebago comes with NAPA group 24 out of the factory in most units. They are adequate - not great but we buy them anyway. Make sure they are deep cycle at least (Mine came with marine starting batteries!) Good Luck!
Most "Marine" batteries commonly for sale are hybrid, combination starting/deep cycle batteries. I believe that most, if not all, "marine" batteries for sale at Costco, Sam's Club, and Walmart are hybrids. True deep cycle marine batteries are more expensive. On the other hand, 6v golf cart batteries are deep cycle batteries and are more robust and suitable for use as house batteries than marine hybrids.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Most "Marine" batteries commonly for sale are hybrid, combination starting/deep cycle batteries. I believe that most, if not all, "marine" batteries for sale at Costco, Sam's Club, and Walmart are hybrids. True deep cycle marine batteries are more expensive. On the other hand, 6v golf cart batteries are deep cycle batteries and are more robust and suitable for use as house batteries than marine hybrids.
Not sure where this info comes from but...hybrid?
A marine battery is designed to be able to start the boat motor and provide 'some' Ah's for lighting and such. A bit heavies plates than a starting battery so it is able to withstand a deep cycle. If the battery has CCA on it, it is marine.
A Deep Cycle battery not suitable for starting, heavy plates, cannot produce high amps in a short time but can handle many deep cycles. It will only have rate in Ah@20hrs I think it is, no CCA.
They put marine batteries in smaller motorhomes so you have help start the engine if needed. They have been used for years in RV's and are a least expensive solution. FYI, costco sells Interstate, MArine group 24, 27 and Golf Cart 6V Deep Cycles
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4services View Post
Not sure where this info comes from but...hybrid?
A marine battery is designed to be able to start the boat motor and provide 'some' Ah's for lighting and such. A bit heavies plates than a starting battery so it is able to withstand a deep cycle. If the battery has CCA on it, it is marine.
A Deep Cycle battery not suitable for starting, heavy plates, cannot produce high amps in a short time but can handle many deep cycles. It will only have rate in Ah@20hrs I think it is, no CCA.
They put marine batteries in smaller motorhomes so you have help start the engine if needed. They have been used for years in RV's and are a least expensive solution. FYI, costco sells Interstate, MArine group 24, 27 and Golf Cart 6V Deep Cycles
I've read many sources that use the words "hybrid" or "dual purpose" in describing marine batteries as having a combination of both deep cycle and starting battery characteristics. Clearly they are a compromise. Here's one such source:

https://sciencing.com/marine-vs-deep...y-5606295.html
Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

To the original issue having two different types of batteries linked together for the house is part of the root cause of the problem along with them being years different in age. The house batteries should be replaced as a set of the same make, model, capacity, production lot and date of manufacture or else one will be damaged from overcharging.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Exactly right. There’s nothing inherently “wrong” with marine batteries but they certainly are a compromise. They can be used as a starter battery and/or a house battery but are not particularly good at either. Anytime a battery specifies cold cranking amps (CCA’s) it is not a true deep cycle battery. Deep cycle batteries can, and are, used to jump start a starter battery bank via the boost switch and they do not need to be starter nor marine batteries to do so.

The most economical option for you would be to buy marine batteries for the future owner. The most economical true deep cycle solution would be to install 6V golf cart batteries in series/parallel. They cost around $95 each at Costco or similar. The additional cables needed are not very expensive and can be picked up at Interstate Batteries where they can install them as well if needed.
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery