Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery Disconnect Switch on '01 Journey

Hello Everybody:

Sorry to sound so dumb, but....on my instrument panel in my '01 Journey is an "aux battery" switch. Is this the battery disconnect switch?

I have no power in the coach, although the EMS panel shows power to the chassis. even when plugged in to shore power.

Any thoughts?

I have just received a replacement EMS panel and will have it installed this week, but is this the culprit?

Thanks for all your answers in advance...

Steve
kb9adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask , particularly if it results in a kick in the pocket book.

The Aux Battery switch ; sometimes labeled emergency start; is not the battery disconnect for the coach batteries ; sometimes called the salesman's switch.
The aux battery ( a momentary switch the must be held on ) connects all batteries through a relay to the engine starter to start the engine in the event of dead chassis batteries, or if properly wired , connects all batteries to start the gen set in the case of dead coach batteries.
The battery disconnect ( often on a panel with an " ON " indicator light ) is a flip or rock on switch that controls another relay to cut power , for coach storage, so you don't have to run through the coach, checking that everything is off before you leave.
If connected to power the disconnect switch needs to be on to charge the batteries in most coaches.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Looking at your owners manual your Aux Battery Switch (sw #7) is a two position momentary switch. On mine if I push the left side I disconnect the battery and have no DC power to the house. Depress the right side and I get house battery power. This switch #7 is on the right set of switches on the dash panel.

You also have an Aux Start Switch (#3) on the left side of the dash panel. This is most likely a momentary type switch which you have to hold in the on position to use the house batteries to help start the engine if the chassis batteries are low. Be advised, if the chassis batteries are dead you will not get enough power like this to state the engine.

I surmise this from checking your MH manual. I could be mistaken, but, this is how my unit works.

Have a great day.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On my 2000 Journey the aux switch is on the left of the steering column and the house battery switch is on the right
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ditto what DC8cappie said. The switch labeled "Aux Battery" on the right side of the dash is what some other brands call a Battery disconnect, or 12 volt disconnect. The switch labeled "Aux Start" on the left side of the dash will momentarily connect the house batteries to the starting circuit (and any items normally powered by the chassis battery)
Cloudrnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No power

Thanks for your replies. That's what makes this forum so great! I still don't have any power from the house batteries. Yesterday, I checked the 110 outlet at the inside RV storage unit, and it was off. I reset the GFCI and as soon as I plugged in the power cord, it popped off again. I am wondering if there is an issue with the inverter...

I have an appointment to get the new EMS panel installed this Wednesday, so maybe I'll know more after that...

Please keep your thoughts coming...and thanks again!
kb9adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Odd that an RV storage facility would have GFI circuits ; inside in particular; because most RV's will trip GFI's.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, journey