Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Battery connections

I have an 05 Winnebago Journey 34H Cat 350
My question pertains to connections on the batterys .
The reason Im asking is that I am not sure if all wires are properlly located .
Im having a problem that when I check voltage inside the coach .
I get the same reading from both the House and the Chasssie banks.
My thoughts are that one or maybe more of the small wires may be attached to the wrong bank . It appears to me .That there are to many attached to the Chassie positive terminal , which is , in the photo . The two battery , or lower bank. Note , there 3 groups of small diameter wires attached . Two single ,and one double
Other wise every thing works fine . As far as charging goes. Both from the Gen set or the engine alternator
It mat be hard to identify , from the pictures . Maybe others with the same model can post a few from theres . Thanks for any help that can be offered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3372.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	169213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	169214  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	169215  
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Interesting - proceed carefully when dealing with these wires - they may be for something entirely different than status-of-charge monitoring. And an accidental 'grounding' while handling the wires can cause lots of problems.

You might try disconnecting the small wires one at a time (always leaving the rest of them connected). If you then do not get a voltage read on the monitor for the house batteries (and even the chassis batteries) that may be your answer.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have been going slow on this . And have had some but not all off at one time or another .
So slow I cant recall .so Ill have to start once again . Thus ,I was hoping to hear or see another 05 . Which may make the task a lot less painfull
Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Agree - it's always nice to hear from another same-coach owner. With battery wiring issues, and especially older coaches, there's no telling who's wired what to where - so we've learned some universal lessons about 'fixin stuff.'

Let us know how it all comes out ...
Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 06 39 Journey. All of the smaller red wires on mine go to the chassis battery very similar to yours. Can't say that the 36 and the 39 are wired the same but I would expect they are. Do you have a big switch in your engine compartment that you can turn off the chassis batteries with? If you do like I do then using that with the switch on the dash to turn off the house batteries you might be able to sort it out or confirm that it is wired correctly.
Rogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There is no switch installed on mine .
I also would agree our coachs would be the same , most likely .
I purchased from the 84 yo original owner . At that time there were only 2 house batterys .
Also the dash boost switch & solonide were not working . Both have been corrected and 3 new house batterys were installed.
When I shut the sales man switch , naturally I will not get a reading in the panel display .
As previously said otherwise everything appears to be operating well . Although im very curious as to why I always see the same reading for both banks . Hower ever , I doubt it could just be a coincedence of equal values
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

First of all congratulations on the cleanliness of the battery pictures.
I am having similar issues with a 05' Journey 36G 330 cat? My coach battery's (starter) will not keep a charge. Let's compare wires here and we may help each other. I'll count and compare. Thanks.
GVCGSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVCGSTEVE View Post
I am having similar issues with a 05' Journey 36G 330 cat? My coach battery's (starter) will not keep a charge.
I also have a 2005 Journey 36^ with 350 cat. Have you or the previous owner installed a Trik-L Start? If not then most likely the parasitic draw on chassis system is draining your battery over time as mine orginally did prior to istallatuon. Winnebago started installing them from the factory in 2006.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Journey cat;im very curious as to why I always see the same reading for both banks . Hower ever , I doubt it could just be a coincedence of equal values[/QUOTE]

It is very possible the previous owner installed Trik-L Start which will allow charge from the house batteries to be transfered to the chassis batteries anytime the chassis batteries are approx 0.5 volt below the house batteries. There is a minimal cutoff voltage that will limit the chassis to keep getting a charge from the house batteries once they get to a specified voltage so that you do not end up with both chassis and house batteries drained.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Page 4 of the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach may be helpful.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, here's Winnebago's Service Tip on installing the Trik-L-Start:
2006-04 Trik-L-Start -

(Note that the link for LSLProducts in the pdf is out of date--my link above is current.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
It is very possible the previous owner installed Trik-L Start which will allow charge from the house batteries to be transfered to the chassis batteries anytime the chassis batteries are approx 0.5 volt below the house batteries. There is a minimal cutoff voltage that will limit the chassis to keep getting a charge from the house batteries once they get to a specified voltage so that you do not end up with both chassis and house batteries drained.
Nope , there is no Trik L start or any other brand on my coach
The only problem I seem to have is while pressing the switch on the inside pannel . I get the same reading on both banks . House or Chassie .

I will try again for some better pictures of my .
05 Winnebago Journey 34H Cat 350
Old 02-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The Trik-L Start is not located by the batteries. If it was installed it would be in the generator compartment. If you need further info on it use the link that was provided above.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks , I am aware the TrickL mounts in the front . But again none on mine !
Also I have in the past looked at that chassie wireing diagram . Although looking at it again raised a flag to me . I will have to check that out . Unfortunatlly at present the coach is in another location . I will address that asap . Thanks to all for the tips !

Tags
battery