Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery Charging Questions

I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser. It is new-2-me, and I am still trying to figure out the charging arrangement. It has one chassis battery and 2 house batteries. It believe that only the house batteries get charged from plugging into shore power. The rig does have a small solar panel, which I assume is for trickle charging only the chassis battery, however, this does not put out enough current to keep the chassis battery topped off while the rig is in storage.

I bring the rig home occasionally for week-end maintenance chores, and was wondering what the best way would be to charge the chassis battery. If I use a battery charger, do I need to disconnect the cables from the battery first? I know this will mess with the PCM. What about just jumping the + on the house battery to the + on the chassis battery when it is plugged into shore power, without using a separate charger??

Thanks,
Bob
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can do as you suggest and jumper the to batteries while on shore. It is probably always best to remove the cables from the battery when charging as the battery charger power could be pretty "dirty" and might affect sensitive electronics. I believe your solar panel charges the house batteries. Another solution would be to add a Trik-L-Start. You can check out your wiring by downloading the wiring diagrams. 2000 Wiring Diagrams
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Would the Trik-L-Start work on charging the house battery? For some reason, my house battery doesn't stay charged very long after shutting down the engine or jenny.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I keep a small battery tender on my chassis (or engine) battery and that works good for me
Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
Would the Trik-L-Start work on charging the house battery? For some reason, my house battery doesn't stay charged very long after shutting down the engine or jenny.
No it wouldn't do any thing for the house battery, in fact one of it's functions is to prevent the house batteries from discharging the chassis battery. It sounds like you house batteries may be in bad shape.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPECTORBOB View Post
I bring the rig home occasionally for week-end maintenance chores, and was wondering what the best way would be to charge the chassis battery. If I use a battery charger, do I need to disconnect the cables from the battery first? I know this will mess with the PCM. What about just jumping the + on the house battery to the + on the chassis battery when it is plugged into shore power, without using a separate charger??

Thanks,
Bob
Bob, I installed a Xantrex Digital Echo Charge, it connects to the coach,and chassis batteries, and when you are charging the coach battery, when the voltage goes above, I think it is 13.7 vdc, it starts to charge the chassis battery as well. Works with any type of charging, inverter/charger, converter, external battery charger, or small atached trickle charger.
Kerry
Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
I had similar problems. I still haven't fully corrected things, but I have THREE large Red cables to my engine batteries. I determined that ONE continues to draw 4.5 amps even after I shut the engine batteries off at the rotary switch in the back by the engine. When I have the chassis batteries turned on, I can leave it disconnected and still start the engine, but can't work the jacks or slides, so that's where I'm at at this point. Still need to follow through. BTW, the standard solar panel is pretty useless.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check your batteries at any auto parts store. Sounds like it's about time to part with $2-300 and get some new ones. Then add a Trik-L-Start to keep the chassis battery charged. When not hooked up disconnect the ground (negative) lead. That'll keep it from discharging.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPECTORBOB View Post

Thanks,
Bob
The easiest way to charge the chassis battery is to put a small wedge under the "Boost" switch to manually engage the solenoid. The chassis battery is then connected to the house batteries. They will normalize each other and all charge (if you're plugged into shore power) when the charger senses the house batteries need to be charged.

I went one step further (after consulting with a Winnebago rep at the 2006 GNR) by replacing the momentary "boost" switch with a 3 position one. When the bottom of the switch is depressed toward the dash it acts in the same manner as the momentary switch in that the batteries are seperate when the ignition is off and all connected (and being charged by the alternator) when the ignition is on.

When in the center position neither batteries are being charged. I leave it in this position for long term storage.

When the top of the switch is depressed all the batteries are connected and will be charged by the house charger. I also added a pilot light that's lit when in either the auto or manual charge mode. That way I don't accidently leave the switch in the off position when driving or in the manual position when not connected to shore power.

This comes in handy since through the 2002 model year all the 12 volt power ports are connected to the chassis battery. Any time you power or charge a 12 volt device it's comming from the chassis battery. In 2003 they changed the power ports so they are connected to the house batteries. Then the chassis battery remains charged and the house charger can replenish the house batteries
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just installed the Trik-L-Start to keep my chassis battery charged while I am on shore power. Now I am worried that I may have shot myself in the foot as now my house batteries might die due to the parasitic drain of my chassis while I have it in storage for 4 months, unplugged, thereby negating the ability to use the boost switch to get her started Or will the Trik-L-Start connection turn off when the voltage drops to a certain level?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You don't have to worry. The
Trik-L-Start only charges the chassis battery when it is 1/2 volt lower than the house battery.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

CJ7ole, from the Trik-l-Start website:

" I STORE MY MOTOR HOME WITHOUT ANY AC HOOKUPS. CAN TRIK-L-START BE USED TO DRAW POWER FROM MY HOUSE BATTERIES TO KEEP MY STARTING BATTERIES CHARGED? No, TRIK-L-START™ only works when there is a house battery charging source (i.e., DC power converter, inverter/charger or solar panels) present. In the absence of this charging source, TRIK-L-START is effectively disconnected, and doesn't supply any charge to your starting battery(s). "

Thanks all for the feedback. I ordered mine today.

Bob
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hate to belabor the point, but I have the 10 watt solar panel and the Trick-L-Start. I suspect my parasitic drain on the chassis battery is more than 10 watts (0.8 amps?) am I still going to be safe or will I return to 3 dead batteries after 4 months?

Which brings up the next question, is the 10 watt solar panel really of much use?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you disconnect the batteries you might make it, otherwise probably not.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

When I checked the parasitic drain on my engine battery it was about .150 amps. (150 Ma)That was with the dash radio power switch set to the house batteries.