Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I've owned our Adventurer since new and I've never thought about this scenario. Hopefully it can be answered here.

"Will the house batteries still charge, either by the solar panel maintainer or, by being plugged into shore power with the "main 12V power switch" in the off position?"
Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've owned our Adventurer since new and I've never thought about this scenario. Hopefully it can be answered here.

"Will the house batteries still charge, either by the solar panel maintainer or, by being plugged into shore power with the "main 12V power switch" in the off position?"
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #3

Dan,

HERE is my recent post on this forum asking the same question....One response from "KCE" (of which I appreciate), and he said that:

Never thought about that so I went out and put a meter on it and sure enough my converter was not charging the house batteries when I turned off the main disconnect.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The battery disconnect does just that. Without it connected, the converter never charges it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think you will find that the Solar Charger that comes with the Winnies does charge with the cut off switch turned off. Mine does.
Frank O.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

At least on mine the factory solar panel charged the batteries when the main switch was off (just not enough).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

My solar charger does charge the battery with the switch in the off position. If you use a battery maintainer separate from the convertor, it also will charge your batteries with the switch off.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

That's the way it was on my '03 Suncruiser. The converter was disconnected when the battery disconnect switch was in the OFF position but the solar panel (which was way to small to do anything) was always connected. Actually, if you are plugged in to shore power there's no need to disconnect the batteries so I guess it all works out.

I also noticed that owners of the Journel and Horizon diesel pushers of that same year did not have the same setup. They used an inverter/charger rather than a converter and the inverter/charge was connected directly to the batteries and not through the disconnect. The reasoning behind this was that you could shut off the coach electrical system with the disconnect switch and then put the inverter/charger into equalize mode to equalize the batteries without worrying about frying any of the coach's electronics with the higher voltages present during an equalize cycle.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #9

I would also suggest that people replace the Parallax/Magnatek convertor to a 3 stage converter/charger.

We threw away our Parallax/Magnatek single stage converter/charger when I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics Intell-charge 9245 converter/charger with a THREE STAGE charger and built in charge wizard for the batteries. There is not a better converter/charger than this.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Cut the clips off a set of jumper cables and wire that end into the removed Parallax and you have a back up battery charger.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote