Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery charger/inverter replacement

Replaced batteries last year in the Suncruiser and am wondering if leaving it plugged in and charging the batteries all winter with this old charger is a good idea. Cannot find much info on it and even if it is really an inverter as well. Would like to be able to run some items off an inverter and be able to upgrade the charger to a multi rate. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated. Starting to get spring fever.....

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35u
Old 02-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have an inverter, it's separate. It'd be over the dash on the passenger side.

Your converter is a simple single stage one. Lots of them have been replaced with 3/4 stage chargers. But you could also argue it's been working good for 14 years, just keep using it.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Parts book for your rig says you should have the old Magnetek 7445 converter (http://www.parallaxpower.com/7400/74...ctbrochure.pdf). Most likely the 13.8VDC single stage version. Single stage converters that always run at this higher voltage are known to boil the batteries dry. Being a standalone converter (not bundled into a power panel, this model of converter can be easily upgraded to a more modern 3 stage converter. It is a converter only model, not an inverter/charger model.
Wiring diagrams for you rig indicate you might have a 130W entertainment inverter.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations for a 3 stage? I would also like it to be capable to charge a larger battery bank in the future if I go that route.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

One of the first things that I replaced was our old single stage charger to a 4 stage unit.

Progressive dynamics made a lower unit replacement for ours. It was not hard to do.

I also put a watering system on my 2 house batteries as I leave our MH pluged in to my 30 amp RV receptical all winter. The watering system makes it easy to maintain the battery water level. I have found that the 4 stage charger works well an does not boil the water out of the batteries. Maybe uses an ounce of water every 2 months.

Here's the link to Progressive Dynamics:

4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For you application (stand alone converter) you would want to use the PD 9200 Series converter. Another good converter is the Boondockers. I know several who have been happy with either (I have a PD9260)

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I replaced my Paralax/Magnetek 7445 chassis mount converter after ten years of full timer 24/7 usage a few weeks ago when it started making strange sounds (not the fan making the sound) with a Progressive Dynamics 9245.
Although the old converter worked well for all those years I had to check the battery electrolyte level monthly and add distilled water or risk battery damage.
The new 9245 converter (has the Charge Wizard - without the Wizard it would be a 9145) went into float mode (13.2 volt charge level) after a few days. That should reduce the need to add water by a lot.

I have used a 13.2 v float charger on equipment batteries stored for the winter for 5 or 6 months and did not need to add water at all.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I replaced my older Magnetech converter with the Progressive Dynamics 9280. Then put in all new batteries, 6 - 6 volt Costco's, and have been very happy. I leave mine plugged in when in storage, all winter, and have not had to add water yet. Just to check things out, I unplugged the rig for two weeks to "exercise" the batteries. It took that long for them to get to 60%. When I plugged back in, it took a little over a day to get them back to 100%. Anyway, I've had the PD 92 series in two rigs now and am very happy with them.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Look at the Iota DLS series of chargers/converters with the IQ4 module. http://www.iotaengineering.com/12vdc.htm
Select a size that is around 20-25% of your PLANNED battery bank amp hours...(i.e. 400 amp hours of batteries=80 amp charger) These are economical and reliable and will take VERY good care of your batteries.
Alternatively you can go for a combination INVERTER/CHARGER... you could look at installing a Magnum ME series modified sine wave inverter charger which range from 2000 inverter watts to 3100 and provide a minimum of 100amps charging. http://magnumenergy.com//wp-content/...sheet_revg.pdf
If you need full sine wave inverting then their MS series should be the choice.
All of these have built in transfer switches.

Of course, you could simply get a converter/charger of the appropriate size...and then by a standalone inverter of the appropriate size when & if you need one.
Good luck!