Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Battery Charger

Does the battery charger charge the chassis batterie, coach batteries or both. My chassis battery seems to be running down in storage even though I am hooked up yo ac?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On my motorhome the battery charger only charges house batteries. Both engine and house are charged when running the motorhome engine.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

probably just the coach battery will be charged from the converter. look into installing a trik-l-start.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Call Winnebago customer service and ask. They have the answer.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'd like to add on a question, though it might be in fact a variation of the same question as posted by toneumanns. When I run a small generator to charge the house batteries (called coach batteries?), does it also charge the engine battery? (called chassis battery?)

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Winnebago. Calling can confirm, but here is my story:

Plugged into AC at the storage unit. Return start the engine and get "Low voltage." Batteries just would not hold a charge. I called Winnebago. Here is what "I" was told for "my unit." Keep both disconnect switches in the "on" position so that the batteries will charge. Both chassis battery disconnect, and house batteries disconnect should be left on so they can be charged by the Trik-l-start charger (you should already have that in your Itasca, but call, and have your serial number - not VIN.) Also they said to turn the step switch to the "off" position.

Since I have started doing that over two years ago both chassis and house batteries have maintained a charge.

Remember, this is for my 2008 Winnebago. Call Winnebago and verify with there technicians.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

have had several experiences with the battery maintenance on Winnebago Journey DL. The MOM button, will allow all batteries to charge from dock side power input.
Check the battery levels, be sure they have not boiled low. Ck specific battery readings. One bad battery can kill off the good ones. I had a good electronic tester, but most any seller of batteries will ck them with a midtronics tester. Sam's club had a tester and very helpful. Kept me from buying a weak battery by testing the new ones at purchase. The must hold a full charge to start. The best day in the life of a battery is day one, it's down hill from there.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Over the past 72 years I've seen most of it;;;; Some do and some don't. I don't know why' We had the same coach as our bubby his did ours didn't, Charging House or coach battery. Run your batteries down, plug in check them after a day or so. If they don't charge. Go buy a good tapering battery charger Hook it up and leave it there. You'll be set. Life is good. On must newer coaches that have inverters Will charge the coach batteries, not the Chassic, Unless they have a crow/bird on it.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I will second what Bachler said: Some do, Some don't. mine does.

I have been parked beside a few that did not.

IF yours does not then there is a product called Trick-L-Start.. Turns it from a Does not, to a Does. Yup, it's a "NOT-Negator". (ok, punning there. It really does what is needed on those where the factory did not put in a bi-directional isolator system.)
Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
probably just the coach battery will be charged from the converter. look into installing a trik-l-start.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
X2...I have the Trickle-Start and swear by it!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mine charge from any source. Shore, Genny, BatteryMinder and Engine. My friend has the same year Breeze LX and his doesn't.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I believe Winnebago now puts the Trik-L-Start on all their diesel pushers. It is called in their brochures a "Chassis battery charger/maintainer". I had to put a Trik-L-Start on my class C and is was money very well spent and had no chassis battery issues after that. Winnebago also connects the steps to the chassis batteries so there can be a significant demand on the chassis batteries with the steps and any residual loads if it is sitting idle for any length of time.

Bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

bobmac- You really want the steps on the chassis batt, less chance of a bad fall. On mine you can shut off both but you'll never be able to shut off the steps like I could on my Fleetwood. I almost broke my back once....I don't know what made them design it that way.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery