Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Batteries

I want to put 2 more batteries in our 2014 Itasca Solei. It has 4 Napa special purpose batteries in it now. Can I put 2 more Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery in also.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If the current house batteries are not agm then no you shouldn't.

Batteries on a charging circuit must be of the same type and within 5% AH rating for the best life of the battery.

Of course you can always add any battery to any pack (as long as you get the voltages to match), but you would just be throwing money away if the pack is not matched in type and size.

So add the same type of batteries, or replace them all - just my advice.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

batteries

Can anybody tell me if these ate true deep cycle batteries? Cant'find anything on them about amp hours.
Marine & RV Deep Cycle - Universal BCI #31 NAPA Batteries
Old 10-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz6 View Post
Can anybody tell me if these ate true deep cycle batteries? Cant'find anything on them about amp hours.
This question comes up all the time. the only standard for quality is at a 20 amp discharge. what you have is a typical combination marine battery which is not a true deep cycle.
this topic is repetitious and was previously reviewed on last years threads.
go here to see.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/coach...on-174124.html
Old 10-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz6 View Post
The issue is that AGM and Flooded Lead Acid batteries, of which all types of lead acid ( Marine, RV, Starting ) are don't charge the same. If you put AGM and Flooded Lead Acid in parallel there will be charging issues.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

batteries

Mine are AGM batteries
Old 10-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
More info helps

OK. so they are AGM and with that I was able to look around for more on the batteries. NAPA's AGM batteries are part #9831DT It's the same battery Winnie puts in the 42QDs at the factory. They are a Group 31,12 volt 105 AH battery. This product is a wet lead acid storage battery. May also be gel/absorbed electrolye lead acid battery type.

Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F 800
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F 1,000

They do not list Amp Hours because it is not a deep cycle battery. When you see a battery with CCA and RC ratings tells you right away it is a Starting Battery or Hybrid when RC rating is specified. Now with that said you can get a pretty good idea what the AH rating is from the RC spec. RC (reserve capacity) is the amount of time in minutes a battery can deliver 25 amps. So the battery RC = 175 minutes. Convert minutes to hours and multiply by 25 amps. So 175 = roughly 3 hours x 25 amps = 75 AH Thing is that is its 3 hour rating. Batteries are usually specified @ 20 hours so that puts the battery up around 100 to 115 AH.

Another way to do it is to just multiply the RC by 0.6

Of course you realize that NAPA does not make their own batteries and these are made by one of the few manufactures that make batteries.
East Penn Manufacturing Company, Inc.
ADDRESS: Deka Road
Lyon Station, PA 19536 USA

As for mixing battery types you saw the notes previously. In addition, batteries should not be mix with different dates of mfg. I always look for manufactured dates and match them. Even when you have a large battery bank and have to replace one battery it is wise to replace all.

my starting batteries are "true deep cycle and starting" optima blue top batteries D34M and are so old they don't make them with the same specifications anymore. at the time of purchase $278 each. The new model d34m has less power.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I found out after taking out the Napa batteries they were flooded cell batteries. They had never been maintained. When we bought coach dealer said they were AGM's. Now after checking all 4 are dry. So we are going the AGM route with 6 new batteries. BTW taking the batteries out are a PAIN.
So if we go the AGM route will the charger recognize them or will we have to change a setting. Panel says flooded now.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tazz6, you're not alone. When we picked up our used 2016 Adventurer, the plastic seals were still in place, so I knew they had never been checked. Dealer said they were AGM batteries and maintenance free. I said, READ THE LABEL! Sure enough, it says to remove label upon installation. Under the label, round screw access to the cells and low and behold, they were low, but no cells exposed.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
Tazz6, you're not alone. When we picked up our used 2016 Adventurer, the plastic seals were still in place, so I knew they had never been checked. Dealer said they were AGM batteries and maintenance free. I said, READ THE LABEL! Sure enough, it says to remove label upon installation. Under the label, round screw access to the cells and low and behold, they were low, but no cells exposed.
Same here. Low, but all cells covered. 2016 Winnebago Forza 36G. Took about 4 ounces of distilled water in each cell to get up to "full".

I gotta remember: Sales people are lazy. Sales people know little about the rv they just sold you. Never trust what a sales person tells you. Verify, verify, verify.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries