Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Basically had it with Interstate batteries!

Ladies and Gents,
While I know many of you have used Interstate batteries over the years with almost endless service, I'm not all that happy with mine. I'll try and make this long story short. We purchased this '04 Itasca 36GD with the 330 CAT back about 4 months ago. The P/O had three brand new Interstate SRM-29, 12V deep cycle Marine/RV batteries installed July of 2010. About a month after we get it home, and were setting it up for our future use and style, we noticed a strange smell. We started looking and sniffing the drains because of the "sewer" type of odor it SEEMED to be.

Well, it turned out that the batteries were being cooked by the inverters charging circuit. After doing some preliminary checks, it was determined that one of the new house batts, SRM-29, had a minimum of one dead cell and others that were extremely low in hydrometer readings. I simply called my local Interstate dealer and had a pro-rated exchange done to the tune of $75.00.

Well, now were up to today's date. She walked out two days ago and smelled it again. I immediately went to the battery compartment and sure enough, the batteries were in the "Bulk rate" charge mode from the inverter and two of them, the new one and one of the others, were lukewarm and the other of the two older ones, was TOO HOT TO TOUCH!!!!!

I checked went to check the hydrometer reading on it and two of the cells were too low on water to even check. So, I filled them with distilled water and made sure all connections were clean and tight. I then plugged in the coach again for another round of experimentation. Well, I got up this morning and sure enough, the two were lukewarm but the one I added water to was TOO HOT TO TOUCH. I then broke out the hydrometer and one out of the 6 cells was 1.300, the others were between 1.150 and 1.200 and one was in the 1.140 range.

At this point in time, I think I'm done with Interstate. I've heard good views and points about them for a long time from various campers etc. but, this is ridiculous. If I had the room, I'd go to (4) six volt G/C batteries from Costco or Sam's Club and be done with it but, I don't. So, since there appears that there's no guarantee that any one 12V deep cycle battery is ANY BETTER than the next, for longevity, quality, duration etc. I think I'll just cruise on down to Costco for two 12V deep cycle ones for now.

The only one's I've not tried are the AGM ones and those are a bit out of my price range. I've thought of the 8D ones too but was advised that having the (3) 12V deep cycle ones would be better than one large one. So, here we are again, battery problems and we're leaving on a long trip in 4 days.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Don't blame the batteries just yet, check the inverter settings to be sure it is set to charge at the proper rate for the size and type of your battery bank. If your inverter is overcharging your batteries, and it certainly indicates it is, then it must be corrected before you install new ones or you will have the same problem. Please keep us informed about what you find.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Sounds like a nightmare. Have you checked out the inverters charging circuit? Maybe your inverter is bad....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would check the inverter as well before investing in more new batteries. Also, if these are your house batteries 6 volt golf cart batteries are better suited to do the job your asking them to do.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gents,
Thanks for taking the time answer my situation here. While I'd normally agree with you analysis, I've done the checks on the inverters charging system setup. It's set up for those type of batteries and, the settings in the "One place" panel in the coach, are at the correct set points.

If, the inverters charging circuit was set in the wrong position, that is the switch for "AGM" or other settings, then why wouldn't it COOK the other two batteries too? Why only overheat or appear to over charge, just one of the three when they're all hooked together???? I'm certainly no expert here, on either batteries or inverter/chargers but, we're getting close to departure on a vacation and I need to get this straightened out.

And, like stated in my original post, I WOULD put 6V G/C batteries in there if I could fit them but, without getting that tray out and cutting it up and modifying it to fit four of them, Which I'm perfectly capable of doing so, there's no way that four would fit. I'll take a look again and see if I can get the job done before we actually leave but, it doesn't look good. Thanks.
Scott
Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Scott,
Since you have 12 volt batteries connected in parallel where are the coach leads connected to the battery bank. Are they connected to the same battery??
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Scott,

Your coach has the Dimensions 2000w inverter that has anything but a stellar reputation. Searching this forum will bear that out. I have the same one and in my case I am on my 3rd replacement now and looking at more troubles. Initially I had the same problems you did with overcharging (ruining) the batteries which was resolved by replacement of the Dimensions 2000. To get you through your trip you can replace the defective battery but you need to address the charger problem ASAP. With good batteries see what your float voltage is. It will vary depending on temperature from 12.8 to 13.2 volts. I have no doubt that your inverter/converter is bad specially if it is the original unit. Dimensions has made several changes to it since 2004 and it has improved but I still would not depend on it. Mine will be replaced on the next failure. I have had my fill of all the problems.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the OP. The overcharging is due to a shorted battery, creating a low voltage that the charger is constantly trying to overcome.

That also explains the overheating on only one battery, likely the one with the short.

To be sure, remove the one bad one and see of the other 2 will still charge up.

Hope this helps.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had the same smell, they were not interststes but cheap 12v rv/ marine batteries that were new installed by the dealer. They stunk both from a power point, and litterally!

I wanted to get 4 interstate 6 volt batteries but ended up with 4 6 volt lifelines(a long story) and am happy with them.
Wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucknJeff View Post
I agree with the OP. The overcharging is due to a shorted battery, creating a low voltage that the charger is constantly trying to overcome.

That also explains the overheating on only one battery, likely the one with the short.

Hope this helps.
The OP seems to have very bad luck with shorted batteries.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Scott, these threads might be of interest:
Purchasing Lifeline AGM Batteries
Switching out three 12vdc to four 6vdc batteries

Journey battery replacement, questions

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Sure sounds like a bad charging circuit in the inverter.

Our Interstate U-2200's are now over 9 years old and still doing well enough for our use. I did add some desulphation liquid to them in 2004, then in 2005 I floated 4 ox of mineral oil on each cell.
Guess what brand batteries will be on the top of our list when these finally give out?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Scott,
Since you have 12 volt batteries connected in parallel where are the coach leads connected to the battery bank. Are they connected to the same battery??
RJay,
I've got three 12V RV House batts. They are all connected in parallel as you say. But, the load is taken off two different ones. The positive is taken off the innermost battery and the negative is taken off the outermost battery. The sensor the heat control from the charger is taken off the neg of the center battery. As to where the positive goes from there, one of them goes to a "Buss" 175 amp fuse and the other side, I think heads over to the inverter charger. I assume the other positive cable goes to the generator, way up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Scott,

Your coach has the Dimensions 2000w inverter that has anything but a stellar reputation. Searching this forum will bear that out. I have the same one and in my case I am on my 3rd replacement now and looking at more troubles. Initially I had the same problems you did with overcharging (ruining) the batteries which was resolved by replacement of the Dimensions 2000. To get you through your trip you can replace the defective battery but you need to address the charger problem ASAP. With good batteries see what your float voltage is. It will vary depending on temperature from 12.8 to 13.2 volts. I have no doubt that your inverter/converter is bad specially if it is the original unit. Dimensions has made several changes to it since 2004 and it has improved but I still would not depend on it. Mine will be replaced on the next failure. I have had my fill of all the problems.
Harry
My plan exactly. We just got back from Costco with two new RV/Marine deep cycle 12V units. They don't exactly have the same specs as the Interstates they're temporarily replacing but, they're 12V, deep cycle RV/Marine (which doesn't mean all that much) so, they'll be compatible with the remaining Interstate. That inverter, seems to do things right, for the most part. It will go into a "bulk mode" at about 25 amps until the batts are up to snuff, which for the most part, is not too long, then it drops to a "Float mode" of about 5 amps and sits there.

If in fact that inverter/charger is bad, it's too bad you can't just replace the charging unit inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucknJeff View Post

Hope this helps.
BucknJeff,
Well Sir, as explained in the upper post, we're going to do just what you suggested. Only, I'm doing it with two new Costco units instead of just trying to charge up the remaining Interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
The OP seems to have very bad luck with shorted batteries.
RJay,
A very true statement Sir. I wish I could just simply go out to the motor home and all is working well, IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT for a long time. No such luck. Well, we'll see now with basically three new house batteries. One Interstate and two Costco units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Chris,
Thank you Sir, I'll check into those. I know what's involved with the change-over to six volt batteries, I've just got to contemplate rebuilding the tray. I just don't have the time at the minute. We're getting too close to departure date and I've still got lots to do. Thanks to all again. Very, very much appreciated.
Scott
Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up,

Where are you located? A friend and I just got back to Florida from Texas (HOT) and I cooked two coach batteries, and he cooked one of his very large chassis batteries in his Foretravel. We suspect the heat and loss of water in the batteries. Just a thought...
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

FIRE UP,
If I understand correctly the positive and negative leads are attached to the two outside batteries with no connection to the center one.

Also I believe the positive battery lead going to the 175 amp fuse continues to your inverter.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #16

Its the inverter... it'll overcharge till the weakest cell fries and shorts.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

So, how do you test an inverter to see if it is over charging?
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

By slapping your own known digital multimeter on it of course.. Look up any good battery charging chart and you will see the proper voltages for each stage of charging,,

If, for example, the book says the peak voltage of say 13.6, then if the charger takes it to 13.6 and does not drop to "Float" mode.. You may have a problem.

NOTE: I'm pulling that 13.6 kind of out of thin air, I can't find the digital copy of the book just now.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #19

14.4-14.8vdc Bulk mode... 13.2-13.4vdc float.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
So, how do you test an inverter to see if it is over charging?
Voltage only indicates the state of charge, the amount of current going into the batter is the rate of charge. It's the rate of charge, when improperly set, will boil a battery. Batteries last the longest when they are charged and discharged slowly. The faster they are charged and discharged the shorter the battery life. So you see the rate of charge is a trade off between preserving battery life and being able to charge the batteries quickly enough to be useable.

A good rule of thumb to set the charge rate is take half the battery capacity and multiply by 25%-35%. If you do a lot of boondocking choose 35% or more. For example, if the battery bank is 300 amp/hrs. (300/2) x .25 = 37.5 or 40 amp/hrs. That means if the batteries are discharged to a respectible 50% of charge it will take about 4 hours to completely recharge the batteries. But keep in mind if you are using DC power for lighting, refrigerator etc. at the same time, that load should be subtracted from the charge rate because that part of the charge rate is being supplied to the load. So if you want to keep the charge time increase the rate of charge accordingly. Just keep in mind the faster a battery is charged the shorter its life.

Tags
batteries