Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Heat Duct's location?

Hello, My neighbor has a '06 32' Journey. He runs the LP furnace but wants to block off the vents/ducts to the basement area.

Can you tell me where the basement area LP heat ducts are?

I am guessing a small 2" somewhere.

Thanks Jim
Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Does he realize that the ducts into the basement area are there to keep his plumbing from freezing?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Hello, My neighbor has a '06 32' Journey. He runs the LP furnace but wants to block off the vents/ducts to the basement area.
Can you tell me where the basement area LP heat ducts are?
I am guessing a small 2" somewhere.
Thanks Jim
My coach, (not a Winnegago), has a 1 1/2" diameter hole in the sheet metal plenum under the propane furnace, (in a basement storage bay).
There is a metal slide on that plenum that can be used to open/close the hole.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes, we know the reason for basement heat. However we are in S Texas and stuff does not freeze @ 40 degrees but a bit of heat inside is nice.

Yes, I am on a Winne forum and am asking about a Winnie. I owned a Safari for 7 years and know about the metal plenum and the sliding thingy on it.

If I needed Safari Info I'd be on one of the 2 Safari Forums on Yahoo. Sorry Mel, I know you are only trying to help.

Jim
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Jim,
I believe there is a 2 inch hose in the wet compartment but you have to get behind the white metal cover to see it. If you have 40 degree weather then he should normally be using the basement heatpumps and not the propane heater?? Most people prefer to use the heatpumps to save on the use of the propane, so I am surprised by your question. The 05 (and maybe the 06) Journey were well known for the basement air ducts at the back of the motorhome coming apart at the seams (because of poor duct tape). If he is not getting much heat (or a/c) from the heatpumps he should crawl under the basement air and look up the ductwork at the rear of motorhome. They can be re-taped with new duck tape if you reach the seams with a long stick. This help??
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wanted more heat up front and blocked the small duct at the plenum with a tuna can I adapted.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
I am on a Winne forum and am asking about a Winnie. I owned a Safari for 7 years and know about the metal plenum and the sliding thingy on it.
If I needed Safari Info I'd be on one of the 2 Safari Forums on Yahoo. Sorry Mel, I know you are only trying to help.
Jim
Jim
You are correct.... I was "only trying to help".

I often find helpful/useful information that can be applied to my coach on forums other than the "2 Safari Forums on Yahoo".
BTW, I did say. "My coach, (not a Winnegago), has a ........

If that reply, on this "Winne forum", was "out of line" I'm sorry I wasted your time, (and mine).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm not apologizing. If it is an Atwood and has the same twist off ducts, the the same applies.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Guys, Will go looking in the areas mentioned. The reason for using the LP instead of the heat pump is the elec rates here are $0.16.5 per KW.

Even @ $3.00 per gallon for LP it is much cheaper to use LP.

Again Thanks for the clues.

Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On my Atwood there is the burner and squirrel cage. It is surrounded by a plenum. On the plenum there are 4 - 3" removable tubes that the ducts clamp to and a 2 or 2 1/2 tube that has the duct that goes to the basement. I made an adapter out of a tuna can and blocked the basement one off so I could get more heat up top.

Tags
cat