Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Heat?

2000 Itasca 37' I cant discover if I have Basement heat or if the water bays are heated???

My rig has basement air!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

In our 02 Journey, which should be quite similar to yours, the cold air vents out of the ceiling vents and then when heating it reverses and the heat vents out of the floor vents. This does supply some heating to the basement since the ducts run in the floor.

For the wet bay we purchased a small ceramic heater that sits in the bay and plugs into the electric pedestal, and that heats the wet bay quite nicely. I don't know how cold you can survive without problems, but we have spent many a night in below freezing temps with no problem.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My 96 Warrior had a hose from the furnace that went into the service compartment and the one in front of it.
My 2004 Sightseer had 3 inch or so diameter holes cut in the bottom of the floor heating ducts in a couple of places - one pushed air into the service bay and another into the enclosed box underneath the floor that the water and waste tanks were in. There was also a return air vent in the hall wall so the air could get back into the motor home.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My guess is that your coach is like my 2004. In that case, the propane furnace will heat thru the floor vents and also heat the basement compartments where water is stored.

The basement a/c heat pump will heat thru the ceiling vents and will not heat the compartments down below.

If you want to avoid using up propane and you have electric for no charge, lots of folks will run low wattage bulbs in the compartment areas where you want to keep above freezing temps and use the heat pump where temps don't drop below around 40 deg.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can't guarantee it but would bet money it does have basement heat when running the propane furnace. Our 1994 Bounder had basement heat as well as our 2003 Adventurer. I have found several places in the Adventurer where air forced into the basement returns to the living area. There is a large grill under the desk in the bedroom, that's one location.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

homeless, your basement is heated with the propane furnace. Depending on how cold it is going to get you may need to add some heat to the wet bay (100 Watt droplight)
The water pump in next to the water heater so it should be OK.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
homeless, your basement is heated with the propane furnace. Depending on how cold it is going to get you may need to add some heat to the wet bay (100 Watt droplight)
The water pump in next to the water heater so it should be OK.

That's not quite right. I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon. Water pump is in the wet bay on drivers side. The water heater is on passenger side. I have propane furnace, some models came with heat pump. On mine there is a hose that pumps heat into water pump/wet bay when running. I agree a drop light is good insurance on very cold nights.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

OP has a Suncuriser.

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner