Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Well, I survived the herculean effort of pulling the 26 inch Sony Vega TV out of the front of our 2005,35A Suncruiser. Once I'm able to walk again (just kidding...) I'll replace with a nice LCD flat pannel. However, on the back of the removed TV, I found a black, barrel shaped gizmo(about 1 in X 2.5 in), wired into the back of the TV (through what looks for all the world like a hand drilled hole in the case of the TV). This gizmo, hard wired into the TV, terminated in a pair of Red and White female "A/V jack" like push connectors that connected to the same color Male connectors that then disappear into the "Wad-O-Wires" behind the adjoining cabinet. The 64 dollar question is... what the heck is it and how do I(or should I) replicate it on the new LCD that I have yet to buy? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well, I survived the herculean effort of pulling the 26 inch Sony Vega TV out of the front of our 2005,35A Suncruiser. Once I'm able to walk again (just kidding...) I'll replace with a nice LCD flat pannel. However, on the back of the removed TV, I found a black, barrel shaped gizmo(about 1 in X 2.5 in), wired into the back of the TV (through what looks for all the world like a hand drilled hole in the case of the TV). This gizmo, hard wired into the TV, terminated in a pair of Red and White female "A/V jack" like push connectors that connected to the same color Male connectors that then disappear into the "Wad-O-Wires" behind the adjoining cabinet. The 64 dollar question is... what the heck is it and how do I(or should I) replicate it on the new LCD that I have yet to buy? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If it is anything like my 03 what you are describing is a noise filter between the TV and the sound amplifier. The tube type TV's, and the solid state sorround amplifier many times had a humm, and the filter reduced the humm.

Try your new set up without the filter and you may find you don't need it.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Probably outputs to your sound system. A new LCD tv will probably have these.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ptribbey has it right. When I changed mine out I also ran into that round filter. Called Winny and they said it was a noise filter. I did not hook it back in line with my new TV and so far no noticeable problems although I have never used the TV when traveling but sitting stationary, all is well. Glad you got that old brick out there. I use to have a few rattles and squeeks with the old one. Now I have zero noise as we travel. I am very pleased with the new TV.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you kindly for the information. I'm looking forward to an improvement in the rattles in the front while driving. When I removed the wood frame, I found the metal cross member on top of the TV totally loose and laying on top of the TV, I'm sure it was contributing to the noise factor. Now for the fun part, buying the new TV. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It's actually an audio matching transformer.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Indy,
I found the same Audio device as you and asked a friend about it and told me what it was. He said try the new one without it and worked fine. I have the same 35A as you but in a Sunrise. If you do not want to modify your Wood Facia you may want to look at my pics on this site and use the same setup as mine.
Just a suggestion.
Frank O.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Frank:

I found your picture and I'm reviewing now. The wood frame configuration is a bit different but the metal enclosure looks very similar. I appreciate the heads up.