Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Backup camera- no picture

I'm getting ready to head for home starting tomorrow morning. I tried the backup camera-sound but no picture. I have read some previous posts stating that Sony made some junk back in 2004 For want my color camera cost!! I guess I will make the 1500 mile trip without it & deal with it when I get home. Where will this crap end!!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
If you have sideview cameras, try them. (You probably have done that.) It might be something as simple as a loose connector at the camera (easy to check) or a loose connection at the monitor. I believe that you have the flip up dashboard, so it makes it easier. You might also try something real easy. If there is a second input on the monitor, try reconnecting the camera to the other input on the monitor. I think that the monitor on my 2003 Brave had two inputs. If it does, there is probably a button on the monitor for each input.

Simple things to do before you make the long drive home.

Good Luck.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
I'm getting ready to head for home starting tomorrow morning. I tried the backup camera-sound but no picture. I have read some previous posts stating that Sony made some junk back in 2004 For want my color camera cost!! I guess I will make the 1500 mile trip without it & deal with it when I get home. Where will this crap end!!
I had to rpl my camera last year on my 2004. I was told the same thing about it being junk that year. Good luck
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Stupid question here, but have you tried all the adjustment knobs at the dash in case someone has turned one of them down so far it darkens the screen. The reason I ask, last year while on a trip the wife accidentally bumped the day/night button while reaching for the heater control and it made the screen so dim I could hardly see the toad, didn't realize what had happened and thought sure the camera was failing. It was later that night in camp I was trying the adjustments and pushed the day/night button and the screen lightened right up. If the contrast or brightness knob got turned too far one direction I think it will black out the screen.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My Sony backup camera failed about a year ago on our 2004 Winnebago Journey. 2004 was not a good year for that batch of cameras.

Look at www.RVcams.com. They sell new and refurbed Sony cameras and monitors. Call Tim at 1-877-378-2267. He owns the store and will do whatever it takes to get your backup system working again. BTW, the same Sony "junk" replacement is plug and play with little hassle.

Good luck going home. I only had to run about 300 miles without my system working--not fun.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #6

You might also check for rodents. They love to chew on insulation on wires and coax.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Talking Back up camera

We have an 04 Journey and our camera croaked last fall. Checked all the wiring etc and did find broken wires but in a place where it was impossible to fix. We ordered a new one from Lonnie/Dave at Lichtsinn in Forest City and had it in 2 days. All he needed to know was the year and model of the coach and he knew exactly what we needed. Can't remember the cost but it wasn't "outta sight" as I remember.

We did do some driving without the camera and it wasn't nice. Glad when we had the camera once again functional.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did check the position of the input switch. It is in the right position. Sound doesn't work if it is not. I have only 1 camera & check out connection in back of monitor. I haven't ruled out rodents. Not too hard for them to get up in between the rear cap & body. I did look up & as far as I could see, there was no damage. But it would be easier for them to get at the cable where I can't see it.
Oh yes, on my first day out today, the ignition on my toad, moved to the lock position! So the steering wheel was locked! I drove on a very bumpy highway 54 outside of Guymon, OK. How long I drove like this?? Maybe 20 miles?? The front tires are worn on the left side. I wouldn't have been able to see this even if the camera worked! The crap continues!
Question, Do you have to use a Sony camera?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
...... Question, Do you have to use a Sony camera?
Yes, I think you do have to use Sony camera with a Sony monitor. I have an '04 too and my camera quit two years back. I couldn't find a cheaper camera that was compatible since Sony uses a unique connector configuration.

I bought mine at rvcams.com; they had the best price at the time. I paid $225. Now I see the price is $449 - OUTCH! This seems like price gouging
to a captive group of Sony victims. Before you spend that much, I would talk to the guy there at RVcams and see if you can get a referb unit or a cable adapter to use a different camera. [Edit: Well, they do have a referb unit for $225, I suppose that's what I got and didn't know it.]

Note: when/if you disconnect the camera, be sure not to let the cable fall back inside the rear cap!

Also, regarding your toad tires, I suggest rotating the fronts to the back to keep the alignment, handling, and steering normal.

Better luck on the rest of your trip (back to MN?).
Duner
Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ours also quit 2 years ago, new one was $225
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If you are capable of splicing the old connector to a new camera with a different connector, then you can save a lot of money. You can buy any 12 volt camera, and make it work. They can be had for $30-$40 or so, in BJ's/Costco/Sams, or on-line from any one of a hugh number of sources for CCTV cameras. Just about all of the little bullet cameras are water-proof, so the only hurdles withh be the physical installation and the connections.

These cameras use 2 wires for 12v power to the camera, and a coax cable for the composite video signal. Microphone would normally be carried by a 2nd coax cable. You should be able to tell by looking at the wiring on the back of the monitor, and decide if you want to get into the project, or spring for the direct replacement model.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem, I checked all these suggested areas and finally took it into the repair shop and the tech found a I had a bad broken wire just outside the inline fuse. He repaired it and I have a working camera and picture.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Chauk this up to another bad camera. I ordered a refurbish one from rvcams. No problems changing it out.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

When your crappy Sony camera conks out, what does it look like on the monitor, something funny or just a blank screen?

We left home on vacation May 17th and the first day the picture kept getting a greenish haze and flashing on and off. Later on the picture went out completely and the monitor is just a mesh of green, yellow, and blue colors, kind of like a mess of water colors that ran all over the page.

Called Winnebago (big mistake) and was told to take it to a local dealer (typical response). The dealer should have a test camera to hook up then will know if the problem is camera or monitor. They did say to unplug the camera from the back of the monitor and if the mess disappears then the problem is the camera and not the monitor. Which I did and the monitor just went dark, kind of like a TV without a cable hookup.

My monitor does have 3 plug-in positions on the back, but when I try the other two nothing happens, just like as if the cable was off completely. Only the original position has all the color on the monitor.

Would hate to pay the price for a new camera and that not be the problem.

Oh yes, as the fellow above stated, the crap continues. The diesel engine is running about 20 degrees hotter than usual, the two slide out room won't retract, and once the leveler jacks were down any time a "up" button on the touch pad was used the jack retracted instead of extending. HWH is helping with that (after waiting over 4 hours two different times for a return call, they don't seem to get too excited about return phone calls).

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,
My monitor was black or gray with no picture. it just went bad while parked! There was sound. I ordered a refurbish one from rvcams for $225. I did the same thing of plugging the camera in the back of monitor. It's about 99% it's the camera. Talk to the guy at rvcams.
I've been there with HWH myself about 2 weeks ago. I got more & better help off this forum. Their customer service has gone south! Good luck on your troubles.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Dave - thanks for the information. I'll give RVCams a call Monday and see what they say.

Are you satisfied with the refurb camera? Does it seem to be as good as a new one, considering the difference in price?

I think maybe HWH has solved my problem with the jacks and slide out, after several days, hours waiting for a return phone call, and several suggestions. They are mailing me a new part, hopefully its the problem. The tech seemed fairly confident. I don't know whether they are really short of tech help or if their product is breaking down that much nation wide. At least they do try to help and not just say to go to a dealer, like Winnebago does.

Thanks again for the response and suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

wagonmaster2,
The camera refurbished camera works find & does come with a warranty. The outside of the camera I got does looks used. There are not many options for replacement. I did do a search for the camera & I found a new one for $225 but I was leary of it. People have wired other makes of cameras but I didn't want to try that. The price we paid for this color backup camera in 2004 & Sony puts out crap!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Too bad Sony didn't have the decency to put out a recall on all those junky cameras. They surely knew within a very short time that year's product was trash.
I have been looking for a new digital camera and have been told to stay away from Sony even for those. Wish it was easier to use another brand camera for our coaches, but as with the digital cameras everything about Sony is special for Sony and nothing else will fit.

Dave - I also found a place where new cameras were $225, but like you I was too leary about it to use that web site for ordering.

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #19

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Too bad Sony didn't have the decency to put out a recall on all those junky cameras. They surely knew within a very short time that year's product was trash.
I have been looking for a new digital camera and have been told to stay away from Sony even for those. Wish it was easier to use another brand camera for our coaches, but as with the digital cameras everything about Sony is special for Sony and nothing else will fit.

Dave - I also found a place where new cameras were $225, but like you I was too leary about it to use that web site for ordering.

Wagonmaster2
The old saying goes, you get what you paid for.
I am a thousand percent satisfied with the camera system I have. I first saw it a a FMCA Rally in Pamona CA. The system is Total Vision Products Total Vision Products: Racing and Off-road vision systems. Rod is the President and inventor of these camera that are made for the riggors of race cars, off road vehicles, trucks, RVs, TT and big rigs. I have 5 cameras on and 2 inside my Damon Outlaw Toy Hauler (scroll down to see pics). Total Vision Products:. If you have questions about the variety of camera lenses, monitors, installation or prices, call Rod like I did.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Savannah -- Did the replacement camera you ordered from Lichtsinn Motors fit right back in the same place without any alterations? Do they send any kind of tape to cover the connection from the camera to the cable? The owners sheet shows taping over the connection, is that necessary?
Thanks

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G