Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The information center located in the dash on my 05 Journey 36G is not backlit and impossible to read.

The dealer tells me that this is normal and that they get frequent complaints about this.

Are there solutions or information about this topic that anyone here knows off?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The information center located in the dash on my 05 Journey 36G is not backlit and impossible to read.

The dealer tells me that this is normal and that they get frequent complaints about this.

Are there solutions or information about this topic that anyone here knows off?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Great question.. that little screen is so hard to read in the daylight. Impossible to read with sunglasses. I asked this same question last year. The only suggestion I got was to adjust the contrast and that helps, but very little. Maybe someone has come up with a fix.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I agree. I'd just assume reclaim the dash space for another purpose.

The informartion screen is a Freightliner supplied component. I suggest you contact the FTL help line (number is in the front of their sevice directory book) and register your complaint there. I did.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

FYI, Workhorse gassers use the Actia instrument panel and have the same issues; tiny characters, very hard to read/see ledgibly in the daylight, and our only adjustment is "contrast". Very disappointing.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had a problem reading my display when I was driving on the Interstate and a warning buzzer sounded. One of my jacks had extended. Since then I keep a small flashlight next to the drivers seat so I can read the display. When shined directly on the display, you can read it in daylight.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I also have a 2005 journey 36G and have the same problem with the display. I was planning on bringing it in to have it checked, but I think you just answered my question. I will however register my complaint anyway. Thanks
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The problem you are having is because of the Info Display that was supplied by Medallion Instrumentation Systems. I was able to buy the new and improved display at the FMCA ralley in Pomona, it was about $75, but I think it is more now. I replaced it myself in my '06 36G, huge difference, can be read with sunglasses on in any light condition.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I bought a new display module from
Medallion Instrumentation about a year ago. At that time, it was about $75. It was kinda hard to get to the old one in the dash to replace it, but once the old module was out, the new one just plugged right in. The new module is much easier to see. I was amazed at the information that was available, but I had not been seeing.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I bought the new high contrast unit at GNR almost 2 years ago. Easy to replace, hard to get to. What a difference, and as the last post stated, there is a wealth of info available - all kinds of engine parameters - but you need a code word to get your turbo boost. Apparently, owners can not be trusted with that info.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

John Canfield's done a nice writeup (including pictures) of what it takes to change out the old unreadable info display for the new one. Go to Jane and John's RV Pages and click on "The New and Improved Freightliner info center display!"

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Got one at $75 last June and it took a couple of hours to install. Howeveer, the $75 "offer" price ordering it direct from Medallion expired September 1st, 2006. Now you have to pay something like $169 ordering it from Freightlinter Parts.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We purchased the new Medallion Info Center earlier this year for $75 and our dealer charged an hour to install it. Personally I think it was worth it as the old one was virtually useless as others have pointed out.

----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I bought the replacement Freightliner info center two weeks ago and installed it over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Step one is prior to removing the old unit, you need to set its contrast to a high number.

Step two - put a blanket over the dash vents to make sure nothing goes down them.

On the 2006 36G Journey, I started by first taking off the dash cover, I think that was about 8 screws or so. Then I removed the back up monitor in order to get at stuff. These steps are very easy. You will have to also unhook the 12 volt power outlet at this time.

Then I was able to access the rear of the existing info center by removing every screw that held the instrument panel/instrument frame on - approximately 15 screws total, you have to get out the three (one on the left, two on the right, one down lower than the other holding the trim frame to the metal framing with a spacer) internal ones as well in order to move the frame, plus you have to remove the trim around the steering column to get to some of the instrument frame ones. There were two on each side of steering column, plus two more which are easily visible once steering column trim is removed, plus two at the bottom of the steering wheel trim piece. You also have to acess on the top of each side of the frame an internal screw (black ones)plus the third one mentioned above. Once you have all the screws out, you can move the left side of the frame out a couple of inches with out everything coming apart. Then taking a shorty screw driver I was able to reach in with one hand and unscrew the two screws holding the info center. Here you have to be careful not to drop the screws or the screw driver into the dash. Once the old one was unscrewed, it came out easily from the front.

Put the new one in the same place, making sure to seat it in its gasket and then using the same approach as in unscrewing the old one, tighten the two screws. Before putting eveything back together, make sure you have the connections to the back of the new info center connected and at this point I turned the ignition key on to make sure the new unit worked as connected.

Once I was comfortable every thing was working, I took a look around to see what was in the dash for future reference, then put all the pieces back together.

Took a drive the other day, wow what a difference. Even though I had to pay $200 for it, it was still worth it for now you can actually read it while driving.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

You guys are great! I kept thinking it was just me being too tall with old eyes. I kept fiddling with the contrast but still could not see the display. It even motivated me to sign up for cataract surgery with the hope that after it was done, I could read the display. It's too bad I missed the lower price but I will definately order the retrofit display. I know the DW will not complain since it would end me saying..."unbuckle your seat belt and get on your hands and knees and tell me what this **** display says."

Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gwedgewo:
The only suggestion I got was to adjust the contrast and that helps, but very little. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary,

How did you adjust the contrast? I just tried messing with mine, and I couldn't figure it out. The directions supplied by FL are terrible.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The contrast can be adjusted by going to the setup screen. I can't remember right now how to get to that screen. I have the new upgrade with the white background now. It can be seen in any light. Good Luck.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Medallion is no longer handling the information center display problem. After they did their promotional of $75.00, they now have a company in Elizabeth NJ taking care of them named Ross Equipment. For anyone that needs one their number is 908-352-9721 COST NOW $199.50. Part number is 1539-10207-11 .

Although this is not 75$ it is cheaper then what Freightliner offered to sell me one for! They wanted $389.00, just a little mark-up!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote