Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2003 Ultimate Freedom back up monitor has always worked OK -- Unit has sat several months now -- got in it today, monitor powered up, screen became bright, -- no picture/camera ---- tried all settings, knobs, etc. --- now what?? Need your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

2003 Ultimate Freedom back up monitor has always worked OK -- Unit has sat several months now -- got in it today, monitor powered up, screen became bright, -- no picture/camera ---- tried all settings, knobs, etc. --- now what?? Need your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bill,

If that's a Sony color camera, they seem to have a high failure rate. I and many others on this forum have had to replace ours. Call Tim at Rvcams. He's very helpful and easy to work with.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Bill, Mine went out about two weeks ago but it was a slow failure. If yours just quit it might be a bad connection. I called Sony tech support and they said due to the wet environment, these camera's just don't last. They suggested checking the connections and look for corrosion and if that's not it...call Tim at RVCAMS like Tom suggested. Sony said he's the best person to get a replacement from... about $225 bucks. The warranty is only 1 year. Good Luck...

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My rearview camera and monitor have really given me fits. I purchased a new camera from RV cams but that didn't help. Have tried to get a local electronics firm repair the monitor as I think it is shot but found they didn't know how. Have sent the monitor to Tim at RV Cams to have him check it out. Winnebago was no help at all. If monitor turns out to be OK, I don't know where the problem is as the cable from the camera to the monitor is OK.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bill

I know you say you checked "all settings," etc ...are you sure you checked both "A input" and "B input?" Mine is sometimes switched to the wrong input (little grandkid fingers!!) and then has no picture until I discover the problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

All;

Just a note to let you know I'm having the same problem in my '04 Adventurer 35U. I've pulled the connector out at the rear and it looks in great shape; I've pulled the driver's side window pillar cover off (one of the other forums said they found a nicked wire there), and I've checked all the settings, wire connections on the back of monitor, etc. The screen would get wavy lines occasionally, go black, come back to life, and now is a pale white. I'm assuming it's the camera from everything I've read on line but have not called Tim at RVCams yet. Anyone know of a simple test of the system before I send off for another camera?

Larry Boy
2004 Adventurer 35U
2004 Accord Toad
Larry Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Larry - What you are describing is exactly the routine mine went through when it failed. I thought for sure I had a loose cable connection somewhere.

About the only test you can do is to dismount the camera, take it inside and plug it directly into the monitor. This will eliminate any cable problems.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had trouble with my camera also. I found that where the cable plugs into the camera the cable connector had gotten wet and the connector was corroded. I had to replace the cable.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

In most cases, is it the dash monitor, -- or the rear camera that goes bad?? If it is the dash mounted monitor, what is best way to remove monitor from dash?? Lot to take apart??
Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I sent camera to RV CAMS -- they called today and said they need rest of "IT" -- I said -- "you have it" -- They send they needed the wiring to the camera. I don't think so! -- The wire is only about 6 to 8" sticking out of the coach. Anyone have any other ideas ?? This is a 2003 Ultimate Freedom with the Sony Color Monitor

Bill
Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Bill, I think that 6 to 8" you're seeing is the pigtail that's about a foot long and normally stays attached to the camera. If you pull it further out, you should find the connection to the main cable that goes to the front of the coach. You'll probably have to remove the grommet around the hole where the cable exits. Once you disconnect the main cable be sure to tie a knot in it so it doesn't slip down inside the rear cap...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply -- I'll try it in the morning!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

PROBLEM !!

Pulled rubber seal around cable -- approx. 4" of cable between Sony color video camera (model VCB-MH1) and coach === pulled on cable -- only about 4" to 6" of play in cable -- then real snug -- pulled a little harder and it came unplugged somewhere inside the wall & out came 18" of cable with plug on end --

I looked in cedar lined closet across back of coach -- no access door-- no place to get in that I could see -- This is a 2003 Ultimate Freedom 40ft. KD floor plan

What next?????

Bill
Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Got a coat hanger?
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Don't think that will help -- since it was not long enough to reach top of coach to begin with!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Bill - I guess they must have used the same length of cable on all the coaches. Mine had lots of slack, but my unit is 4' shorter than yours. I'm amazed that you could pull it apart - mine was double taped and I think I could have swung on it without pulling them apart.

As for where you are now - I looked at the parts list for your unit and it appears there is a panel just above the rear "hood" door that closes off the area between the rear cap and the inside wall. If you lift the rear door, maybe you can see how to take that panel out. Might have to remove the door hinges to get to the panel mounting screws. If you get that panel off, you should be able to access the cable, rejoin it with the shortie cable, then drop something down from up above to pull them up to the hole. Maybe someone else with a unit like yours knows how to get that panel off.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Just replaced ours,$225 plus $10 shipping from FL.yhey told us the 2004 models were a bad year. Of course thats what we were told oninverter and radio also.