Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have 12 volt power and I have disconnected the shore power. When I turn the switch off, nothing happens. I do not hear the solenoid click or the propane detector beep and I still have 12v power..

Could this happen if the switch that triggers when you change from gen power to shore power is stuck? I have had a problem before where I turned off the generator and connect to shore power but have no 110v power.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have 12 volt power and I have disconnected the shore power. When I turn the switch off, nothing happens. I do not hear the solenoid click or the propane detector beep and I still have 12v power..

Could this happen if the switch that triggers when you change from gen power to shore power is stuck? I have had a problem before where I turned off the generator and connect to shore power but have no 110v power.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Clarification please...

Are you saying that with shore power disconnected, the genny is not running, and you turn off your 12V battery disconnect, there is still 12V power to the house?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes, exactly. The switch is not turning off the 12v system.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Low battery voltage?

My old dead batteries would make the switch act funny....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Some of the aux. battery relays have fuses for the actuating circuit built into the relay itself. They are standard automotive fuses and are mounted on the front of the relay itself
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I -think- that relay (solenoid) is energized all the time 12V is supplied to the house. If it won't disconnect, then either the switch is not working or the contacts are stuck in the solenoid.

Give it a sharp rap with something insulated (electrical tape wrapped around a wrench) while an accomplice keeps the switch in the off position.

We have seen many cases of a bad battery bank bridging solenoid, but I don't think anybody has reported one of these causing trouble.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Stoney: I am not sure where the aux battery relay is located?

John: Also, I am not sure where you are suggesting I give it a "sharp rap"? Are you talking about the silver box in the electrical compartment where the shore power cable connects?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Not sure about where yours is located, but mine is in the electrical bay behind a metal 'box.' There are two solenoids in very close proximity - one is the battery bank bridging solenoid, the other is the house disconnect. They can be identified by operating the 'Battery Boost' switch - the one that clicks is the bridging solenoid.

If you aren't a 'hands on' guy, let a dealer or service business troubleshoot.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Moneypaul

A sharp rap on "the silver box" (aka transfer switch) in the electrical compartment can help with your problem of not having power when you plug in the 120v shore cord. But that has nothing to do with your 12v problem. BTW -- when you plug into shore power when running on generator power (or vice versa) you should turn off high power loads like ac, etc. That will save lots of wear and tear on the contacts inside the transfer switch.

I believe John has you on the right track in looking for a small round solenoid that operates the 12v battery disconnect. It is possible the disconnect doesn't work due to low power, but more likely the switch or associated solenoid is bad. It shouldn't be an expensive fix even if you have to have a service tech do it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Paul,

I would think my '05 38R and your '06 38J are virtually identical in chassis layout. My batteries are under the entrance steps (top step unlatches and removes). Inboard of the batteries is a panel that covers the solenoid. My "AUX BATT" on/off switch is next to the steps and when operated you can hear the clicking of the solenoid under the steps.

The "silver box" in the electrical compartment is the transfer switch.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Figure it out?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Not yet. I plugged in the shore power for a few days and the batteries are both showing over 13V. The switch still does not work. I do have a trikl start and I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. I guess I will have to take it in to the dealer.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I figured out one of the problems. The shore power was not coming on because the Progressive Industries EMS delays sending power for 2 minutes and 13 seconds (according to Progressive.

Does anyone know if I can get a solenoid for the battery disconnect other than from Winnebego? Any part numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

The battery bank bridging solenoid is made by Trombetta, they might make the disconnect one as well. Here is the link to Trombetta's contactors. Blue Sea has a suitable replacement candidate.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Well it was the solenoid. However, after installation by the dealer you could turn it off but not back on. Another trip discliosed that one of the wiring connections had not been done correctly. Thanks for your help guys.