Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Auto switching cool/heat thermostat?

Going to be changing the thermostat to digital and wondering how it works for other folks. I can see some value in auto switching from heat to cool but I can also see there might be some problems with RV use. I do not want programmable nor smartphone access as they are not useful for my RV time.
The question involves the allowable temperature swing between providing heat versus turning on the other. I understand there is a limit of four degrees swing and that would seem to leave it open to switching from one to the other too often as a RV temps are much more frequent than home use.
So how does it work for you folks? Do you find it switching too often? Like on a cool day that has required just a bit of heat, does sun shining on the thermostat cause it to switch to cooling?
Is the auto switch something that helps or does it just confuse the issue more than needed?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'll be interested in the answer. I've not tried to replace either of my thermostat's. My current solution is set one to cooling at a higher temp and the other to heating at the lower temp then hope that the temp difference between the front and back isn't such as they both kick on at the same time and they fight each outer.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

In our situation, we have swapped the bigger RV for the short, to allow us more access to the nice parks, etc. that we prefer. That comes with some downside as things like the thermostat wind up much closer together and temps swing more as we do various things. Like taking a good hot shower or baking some biscuits and the thermostat is only 4-5 feet away?
Hate the thought that my hot shower would prompt the thermostat to switch on the AC!!
cost difference on the two thermostat is very little but I wonder if I'm just setting myself up for complications. Maybe there really is a reason for slow acting bimetal type thermostats in RV.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, switch, thermostat