Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can anybody share an experience retrofitting a generator auto-start system? My coach is the '04 Phaeton with a 7.5 Onan diesel.

Thanks.

Edit - I did not intend this to be in the Winnebago forum.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

IF YOU GO TO ONANS WEB PAGE THERE IS INFORMATION ON A NEW WIRELESS PROGRAMMABLE AUTO GEN START. WE ARE HAVING IT INSTALLED IN OUR LATITUDE. WWW.ONAN.COM

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't have one yet but plan on getting one soon. Am going to get the 30W model which is the one made specifically for retrofit. It is wireless so according to Onan can be installed by me. The hard wired model is an all day shop job.

I know they are on some new Winnies and I spoke with someone who was very happy with it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by YngRvrs:
IF YOU GO TO ONANS WEB PAGE THERE IS INFORMATION ON A NEW WIRELESS PROGRAMMABLE AUTO GEN START. WE ARE HAVING IT INSTALLED IN OUR LATITUDE. WWW.ONAN.COM
I checked it out, that's a fantastic little gadget. Thanks for the info, I'm going to order one.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, interesting. I might get one too.

Here's the direct link to the FAQ page since I was just reading it for anybody else who might be interested.

And, their main page.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Olive:
The hard wired model is an all day shop job.

I know they are on some new Winnies and I spoke with someone who was very happy with it.
You can put the hard wired one in yourself fairly easily on a Winnebago in less than a day due to the OnePlace design and can save $300 over the cost of the wireless unit.

It is not that difficult if you have basic mechanical and electrical skills.

I installed mine myself and total cost was a tad over $200 for the hard wired model while the wireless is $499.

I use my EC30 while driving so the genny only runs when the house AC needs it however the wireless unit does not have its saftey shutdown based on input from the ignition switch which would allow you to set it in autorun mode after starting the engine but has a motion detector which makes it seem like it would shut you down whenever you start moving the rig.

The safety shutdown is so it won't autostart while fueling or after you park it in an enclosed area etc.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that info Neil. I'm glad I haven't ordered the wireless yet so I will look into that. I just have to figure out where to put the panel on my one place. It is pretty full.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Neil,
Can you tell me how you wired your EC30 for the AC? I followed the wiring directions in the the install guide and other posts, and all I got was the fan to come on, the generator did not start.

Can you help?????

Thanks,
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I installed the Onan EC-30 AGS in my '07 Journey in about 4 hours. The One place panel makes the installation pretty convenient. The hardest part is picking up an ignition sense and shore power sense. I sent both to the electricl compartment where I found both 12V ignition sense and the transfer switch for shore power sense (with a transformer).

In my 34H coach, I mounted the EC-30 panel on the wall in the bathroom which backs to the One place panel. As you have noted not much space left in the One Place panel. Worked great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Outbumn:
Neil,
Can you tell me how you wired your EC30 for the AC? I followed the wiring directions in the the install guide and other posts, and all I got was the fan to come on, the generator did not start.

Can you help?????

Thanks,
In one of the instructions posted has a note about putting a jumper between two of the thermostat leads to resolve this. I don't have time to search for this at the moment but the info is right here on IRV2.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Olive:
Thanks for that info Neil. I'm glad I haven't ordered the wireless yet so I will look into that. I just have to figure out where to put the panel on my one place. It is pretty full.
I put mine in the wall just to the left of the OnePlace panel.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outbumn:
Neil,

Can you help?????

Thanks,
In one of the instructions posted has a note about putting a jumper between two of the thermostat leads to resolve this. I don't have time to search for this at the moment but the info is right here on IRV2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here it is posted under Installing Energy Command in Adventurer:

"RVP Thermostat
This control provides a +12VDC signal when HVAC is required.
*Tap into yellow wire for the AC singnal (PIn 5).
*Connect Pin 5 to EC-30 HVAC #1 (pin 10).

NOTE:
Wires running from Thermostat to the Basement Unit must be connected as follows.
* <span class="ev_code_RED">At the thermostat jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together</span>.
* At the Basement Unit jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together.
* No changes to other wires."

I did not jumper 1 & 3 at both ends of the harness as it seemed moot. If its jumpered at one end then it is jumpered. Maybe on a longer coach line loss would make a difference or on a coach where the t-stat was in the front but on the 35U the stat is only about 10 feet from the air unit so I didn't bother and all has worked very well.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I installed mine about a year after I bought my motorhome. It was about the best add on that you can have. My batteries would go dead using the furnance at night, now it starts the gen. to charge the batteries. Lots of other great features. You will not regret having one.

2005 Winnebago Journey
Md shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Neil, thanks for the advice and help with wiring. More eager to get this now. I think I may have to install it in the water closet as Pusherman did as there is no wall space around the One Place. The side of the One Place is in that room so should be an easy mount.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Neil,
Thanks, must have missed this jumper posting. Will make this change when it warms up.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Will Know soon

My EC-30W is due tomorrow. I will let you know how the installation goes.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Can someone send a link to a good supplier for the EC-30? I contacted Cummings Rocky Mountain in Billings, and they said the EC-30 would cost $262.08 and the wiring harness $76.72 plus shipping.
Thanks.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I bought the EC-30W a few weeks ago for $480 total including wire harness and tax. Onan guys installed it for me at a rally but I sure I could have easily done it myself. They say it takes about 15 minutes to install. It took them a lot less than that of course.

The one thing they told me is about the shore sense. It needs an outlet not fed through the receptacle if you leave your inverter on all of the time. I only turn my inverter on when I need it so I didn't need the extra work of wiring the shore sense.

I went to them wanting the hard wired model but am glad I bought this one. Have let it do its thing a few times now and it works great.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I installed the jumper between thermostat pins 3 & 5 and everything works great. The A/C comes on when on shore power, and when shore power is disconnected, when the thermostat calls for cooling, it starts the generator, then the A/C.

I have one more question, I though after installing the shore power safety switch, if the generator was on and shore power was connected, the generator should shutdown. I need to read the manual again.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
This is an old thread, but I just purchased an EC-30 (hardwired). I am curious what you guys did with the existing generator controls in the one place panel. Did you just leave them there or did you remove and cover them? Anyone care to post a picture?

Did anyone use the built in wiring harness to connect it?