Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Auto-generator start

Is it possible to have an auto-generator start installed in a 2007 Journey with the Onan generator Quiet 8000, model #8HDKAK11451K?
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
Is it possible to have an auto-generator start installed in a 2007 Journey with the Onan generator Quiet 8000, model #8HDKAK11451K?
Are you sure you don't have one already?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you do a irv2 search for EC30

You'll find threads like this: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/onan...ney-23050.html

There was also a wireless version the EC30W that I think Onan has stopped selling.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes it is and you can likely DIY if you can do simple wiring and can interpret the Winn wiring diagrams. Connections are required to house and chassis batteries to sense voltage, the house thermostat, the generator start circuits and a "safety connection" - I used the side marker light circuit. You might even find the 16 pin connector preinstalled if it was an option when the coach was built.
Download the EC-30 manual which contains installation instructions. Virtually all of the connections should be in your One Place already connected to the circuitry there and you can tap into them. It is not a difficult job if you can interpret the Winn wiring diagrams as all wiring is uniquely identified on the insulation and referenced in the Wiring info. I installed one on a 2008 Itasca Cambria - spent more time going over the wiring diagrams to identify where to pick up the correct circuits than it took to actually install. It is a great addition to a coach and extremely useful. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

I haven't set mine up. What voltage do you guys typically have them start?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I haven't set mine up. What voltage do you guys typically have them start?
Atom, mine is set at 11.7. I would not go any lower than that because the generator may not turn over. At this voltage I have never had a problem.

Rick Y
Old 06-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Thanks Rick!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

the only Cummings gens that can NOT have an auto start is the small ones for the View, as per their info & confirmed by their tech - they are air cooled, made in Indonesia. :(
Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Are you sure you don't have one already?

Pretty sure as I've had the inverter shut down giving me the message that it shut down because of low voltage, conserving batteries.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for your responses.

Slapfoot
Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

What inverter do you have in the coach? If it's a Magnum there is an add on module that works great

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
What inverter do you have in the coach? If it's a Magnum there is an add on module that works great
No such luck. Just checked and mine is a Dimensions inverter/charger.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Found one supplier for the EC-30: EC-20 EC-30 EC-30W Energy Command autostart panels Onan RV gas and LP fueled Generators

I don't know if the correct harnesses are with this.

Mine works great.

Rick Y
Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Found one supplier for the EC-30: EC-20 EC-30 EC-30W Energy Command autostart panels Onan RV gas and LP fueled Generators

I don't know if the correct harnesses are with this.

Mine works great.

Rick Y
Yes, I found a couple of YouTube videos about the EC-30W and became very excited thinking that I had found the exact thing I was looking for. It was portrayed as a simple thirty minute install. Then I found the website you recommended and was shot down by the notice that the EC-30W was discontinued in December of 2015. I also found a site that stated the EC-30 was rather difficult to install as an after market install. They said it would take someone who is familiar with this type of work eight hours. As a result I think it is too expensive an install for my needs. My mechanical/electrical skills are suspect so I would not try it myself.

I also found a site stating that Cummins Onan was working on phone app technology for something similar to the EC-30W. I have tried to contact a couple of sites, including Cummins Onan, for more information but have not heard anything back.

Hoping for the best.

Again, thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, I found a couple of YouTube videos about the EC-30W and became very excited thinking that I had found the exact thing I was looking for. It was portrayed as a simple thirty minute install. Then I found the website you recommended and was shot down by the notice that the EC-30W was discontinued in December of 2015. I also found a site that stated the EC-30 was rather difficult to install as an after market install. They said it would take someone who is familiar with this type of work eight hours. As a result I think it is too expensive an install for my needs. My mechanical/electrical skills are suspect so I would not try it myself.

I also found a site stating that Cummins Onan was working on phone app technology for something similar to the EC-30W. I have tried to contact a couple of sites, including Cummins Onan, for more information but have not heard anything back.

Hoping for the best.

Again, thanks for all the responses.
I did see that the EC-30W was no more. I truly see no need for the remote start. I wonder what takes so long for the install? Getting things fished through the RV can be a challenge. You don't have to do it all in one day.

The great thing about the EC-30 is that it will keep the batteries charged automatically. I suggest you not give up the idea just yet.

Did you look at this? http://power-prd.cummins.com/PWON/Po.../900-0541B.pdf

Rick Y
Old 06-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Rick
If I recall correctly, there is limited requirements for running wiring with the EC30W. The control unit to generator connection is wireless with a module connecting to the generator. The inside unit which plugs into an outlet, senses ambient coach temperature and turns on starts the genset - unlike the EC30 wired unit that has direct connections to the thermostat, batteries and AC presence. I believe a number of users of the wireless unit had issues with the reliability of wireless connection. There was obviously a reason that it was discontinued.
We have a dog and use our EC30 to power on the AC when we are out of the coach and it gets warm as well as to charge the AGM batteries when we are boondocking. In our case, it is a great addition to the coach.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have the EC30W. I had to install mine at the One Place Panel. The issues were getting a decent wireless connection through some of the metal chassis and generator surrounds. My connections are to the remote start switch and panel from the EC30W, connecting at the dashboard switch also works. That way it all connects inside the coach and doesn't have to try to penetrte to the generator compartment.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Magnum also has a standalone AGS. Fairly easy install using the wiring that is hooked to your manual generator start and stop switches.
Magnum Energy ME-AGS-S Auto Generator Start.
DonRowe.com is not the only place to buy the AGS. I choose that site because it has all the documentation.
I picked up my AGS-S off EBAY from a seller that had purchased it by mistake for one of the smaller Onan's that could not use Auto Start.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Pretty sure as I've had the inverter shut down giving me the message that it shut down because of low voltage, conserving batteries.
That alone doesn't mean anything. The AGS wont start the generator unless it's turned on!

Tags
generator