Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Auto Generator Start

Hi All,

Just finished adding 600 watts of solar to our 2004 Sightseer which I am on a mission to boondockify. Next I would like to add an auto gen start to the system. Was wondering if anyone out there might have done this for their coach who could share the inside scoop on doing such a thing. What system, did you install it yourself, was it a relatively easy thing to do, and how has it helped? Was it worth the effort?

Thanks!!
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I do not have a Winnebago. But did install a auto generator start. Installed a Magnum AGS-S. Not a hard installation. The wiring for AGS is paralleled around existing generator start switch.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have not installed one but Onan makes a wireless AGS. Search the forum for EC 30 W.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Does the unit require the remote readout? Seems that the ability to program the unit is lost without the remote display. Where is the best position to place it?
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We installed the Cummins/Onan EC30W generator auto start in our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. It's a wireless system that can be installed in less than 15 minutes.

The only caveat is to find a place in the coach to mount the remote that mirrors the temperature readings on the AC thermostat. Originally we mounted the remote in the dining area. We quickly found it did not have the same temperature readings as the AC thermostat mounted in the hall. The AC thermostat was slower to respond to the temperature changes than the generator remote.

The net result was that the generator would start before the AC thermostat reached the set point and would shut off the generator before the AC thermostat had shut off the AC. We ended up moving the remote to the bedroom and everything worked fine.

If you use this system just be sure to find a place in the coach that has the same rate of temperature rise and fall as the AC thermostat, and that it's near an outlet that isn't connected to the inverter. The remote gets plugged into a wall outlet to detect when shore power is interrupted. If the outlet is connected to an inverter you won't see a voltage loss until the batteries are low enough that they can't start the generator.

We ordered the EC-30 (wired version) in our 2013 Adventurer. It works off the AC thermostat and the EMS for monitoring the battery charge so there's only 1 thermostat and voltage reading to contend with. You can also order and install this system. It takes a few hours to install, but it's extremely dependable when installed
Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you are considering the Onan wireless unit, be sure to compare the features available to those in the wired unit - the EC30. The wired unit will also start on voltage and offers many more features particularly if you plan to boondock. It is not that difficult to install if you can read the Winnebago wiring schematics and can locate the required wires. I installed on in a Cambria. Spent most of the time planning where to pick up the circuits and about 3 hours actually hooking it up. It is a great addition to your coach. You should also check to see if the 16 conductor harness is already there - it might be if it was an option on your coach. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We've had both the EC-30 and the EC-30W. I don't recall a difference in features other then the EC-30w uses it's own temperature and voltage sensor to determine when to start the generator. The wired version EC-30 uses the coaches temperature and voltage sensor circuits.

They can both be set for start and stop voltages, high and/or low temperatures, and quiet times.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just installed the EC30W in my coach and it only takes about an hour and that's because you have to be sure that you can get reliable communications between the remote and the main unit.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks much for the insider info folks. This is an awesome forum!

My concerns are the batteries for my solar array, if they get to low at night or when there are clouds during the day and they get to low I would like for the generator to kick on and charge them. We also we sometimes leave our kids (dogs) behind to go shop or whatever so temp control is important.

Thanks again for all the info everyone. May the Lord Jesus Christ bless and keep all of you. Peace.
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Here is a youtube video of the EC-30W system being installed:
buzz_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I installed the hard wired version which my local Cummins dealer sold for less than the internet sellers. It too the better part of the day to install and I put it right next to the OnePlace panel in my 2001 35U Adventurer. It has worked well for almost 10 years now.

Tags
generator