Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Aspect Generator

Purchased the 28 foot model about three weeks ago. Brand new, drove off the lot, generator stopped working. Immediately returned to the dealer, haven't seen it since. They have replaced the pump twice, moved the pump to a different location, taken it to Onan, changed to an external fuel location, and now are checking the hookup to the Ford gas tank. They have yet to make it work properly on the road , under normal load conditions for an extended period of time

The generator makes a cackling noise like it is trying to choke itself out. It does in fact stops running sometimes. The dealer has been aggressive in trying to fix the problem. Nobody, including Winnabago has had answer yet.

I contacted the consumer warranty side of Winnabago. I asked them to take some ownership of this problem. I didn't get much, a little attitude, doing what they could, be patient. We will call you and let you know what is going on. They haven't called. Have any of you had this type of problem with your generator, any ideas?

Three weeks, brand new $90000 motorhome, in shop from day one, out $500 between non refundable campground reservations I couldn't use, and the motel room I had to rent instead, and not a word from Winnabago to me.

I believe I am safe In saying Winnabago has delivered a defective product in the case of this motorhome. The dealership service manager has been great in his attempt to fix this defective product. No solutions from Winnabago.

Again, any input on potential solutions from current owners would be appreciated.
Aspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I doubt there's much we could offer since it looks like Winnebago is doing what they can to address the problem. Most of us have been through various scenarios involving problems with our RVs. In the vast majority of cases, the problem eventually gets resolved. This is especially true with new RVs. Best of luck and let us know how things work out.

Jack
Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

When Onan had it, did they take it out of the motor home and test it. It should be one of three things, something on the fuel side, ignition or exhaust. Onan should be able to remove it from the motor home and bench test it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Bench tested ok. Problem occurs when it is the motorhome. Seems to run hot, acts like it wants to vapor lock.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Being brand new it would seems to me with in reason to replace it, (even if temporarily) with a new one to see if it functions correctly. There is no way you should have expense and inconvenience like this on a brand new coach. Yes we all go through the new coach gremlins, but this is outside the box.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspect View Post
Bench tested ok. Problem occurs when it is the motorhome. Seems to run hot, acts like it wants to vapor lock.
If it bench tests ok, it almost has to be in the fuel delivery system or the fuel itself.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I am pushing for a new generator install. That would at least eliminate the generator as the problem, or prove it is the problem. If it isn't the problem, they can put back the old one, and focus on other areas. I really would like to have my new motorhome.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspect View Post
Purchased the 28 foot model about three weeks ago. Brand new, drove off the lot, generator stopped working. Immediately returned to the dealer, haven't seen it since. They have replaced the pump twice, moved the pump to a different location, taken it to Onan, changed to an external fuel location, and now are checking the hookup to the Ford gas tank. They have yet to make it work properly on the road , under normal load conditions for an extended period of time

The generator makes a cackling noise like it is trying to choke itself out. It does in fact stops running sometimes. The dealer has been aggressive in trying to fix the problem. Nobody, including Winnabago has had answer yet.

I contacted the consumer warranty side of Winnabago. I asked them to take some ownership of this problem. I didn't get much, a little attitude, doing what they could, be patient. We will call you and let you know what is going on. They haven't called. Have any of you had this type of problem with your generator, any ideas?

Three weeks, brand new $90000 motorhome, in shop from day one, out $500 between non refundable campground reservations I couldn't use, and the motel room I had to rent instead, and not a word from Winnabago to me.

I believe I am safe In saying Winnabago has delivered a defective product in the case of this motorhome. The dealership service manager has been great in his attempt to fix this defective product. No solutions from Winnabago.

Again, any input on potential solutions from current owners would be appreciated.
welcome to the forum:welcome:
i cannot tell from your post all of the particulars of your rv and genny.
you can update the ''signature'' block to address this.
how much gas is in the moho's tank.
most gennys will not run with less than 1/4 tank. yours may require more or less.
if your genny is similar to my 5500, i would suggest that you prime the genny with the carb float bowl drain open to get all the air out of the fuel line from the rv's fuel tank and get a full float bowl.
i drain my genny's float bowl when i anticipate not running my genny in a month or so to keep old gas from evaporating and clogging the carb.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

It is Onan 4000. The fuel tank was topped off when the problem occurred the first time, so low fuel isn't the problem. The carb was checked by the Onan shop, and seems to be working properly.

I do appreciate the input, and will foreword to the dealer.

Tags
generator