Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Are these lights OEM or aftermarket?

Our MH has two rectangular floodlights beneath the rear spoiler. I cannot find any switch to turn them on/off. They appear original Winnebago equipment on the coach because where they are mounted, they fit exactly in the spoiler mountings. The dock lights switch has no effect on them, nor any other switch I've tried. Any suggestions?

Second question. re: the dock lights on each side. How do I replace the bulb? I cannot unscrew the lens, on the back-side I cannot find a way to remove the bulb.

Silly questions I know, but I'm stumped.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think they are probably your back up lights, and come on with reverse ? Several manufactures have done that in the past, my HR was that way.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Our MH has two rectangular floodlights beneath the rear spoiler. I cannot find any switch to turn them on/off. They appear original Winnebago equipment on the coach because where they are mounted, they fit exactly in the spoiler mountings. The dock lights switch has no effect on them, nor any other switch I've tried. Any suggestions?

Second question. re: the dock lights on each side. How do I replace the bulb? I cannot unscrew the lens, on the back-side I cannot find a way to remove the bulb.

Silly questions I know, but I'm stumped.
First off, no questions are silly, we all learn from asking.
I too think it's possible that they come on with the rig running and in reverse. Obviously you'll have to take precautions to do this test so , be careful and try that. As for the replacement of your docking lights, that's been asked before and although I've not had to do it, as I understand it, they must be accessed from the back side. And, in order to do that, you must unbolt/screw the inner fender and pry it away so you can see the back side of the docking light. From there, you figure out what's needed to remove or, disassemble the part(s) for replacement of the bulb. Hope this helps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

After much research, they are tied to the docking lights.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys, I now have enough information to proceed. I suppose putting it in reverse while watching my back-up camera (MH is in our RV garage) will show up the extra flood-lighting, if they work at all.
The only way I see to access the back side of the side dock light is to crawl under, and sit up behind the duals, can't even get my hand between fender and duals enough to feel the entire light box. The side dock lights come on with the coach not running or key turned on. I think that action is a safe one even though the coach sits only 8"-10" off the floor with inflated bags; deflated it is 4"-6".
I know a lot about 5ers, but we are new to a MH and its workings. Makes me a newby_all over again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ray,In, the camping part is the only common thread. Each and every unit has its own personality and quirks. The learning curve will come, Good Luck
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The fender fiberglass hinges up to allow access...screws on each side as I recall. I removed one to replace the bulb. Had trouble finding the bulb, but on internet found place in Huber Heights OH just a few miles from where I was at the time.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

AFChap is right. A friend replaced his and the panel lifted up after removing a couple of screws.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

The light box inside the fender-well appears welded solid on my MH. The actual box flange is sandwiched between two flat pieces of metal that are welded together. I'll look closer for attachment screws tomorrow. I must use an inspection mirror to even see the light box. There is not enough room for me to get under the coach and access the light box. I did discover there is enough room for me to get my hand between tire and body, but only when the air bags are fully inflated. Oh-well, if it was easy I'd be bored.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ray, check this thread for some pics and info on what I found about replacement bulbs for the docking lamps ...assuming yours are same or similar. Docking Lamps on '03 Ultimate
Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks Paul! What is the diameter of the bulbs? MR Type - MR16: Light Bulbs Etc, Inc. sells 2" and 2.5". Apparently the bulbs listed under "MR16 by watts" are much cheaper than the other selections. For instance the "by size" bulbs are $1.99,but long-life are $9.95 ea.
If I understood the procedure correctly, the entire "fender" hinges up to access bulb replacement, right?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Paul! What is the diameter of the bulbs?
Pretty sure they are 2“, but suggest you measure yours to be sure (it's been a few years since I bought the bulb) ...you should be able to do a decent measure with it in place. And note that you want covered bulbs ...they come with a "cover lens," or open. I checked the vendor site. It looks like a great source, and they say they sell the bulbs both with and w/o a "cover lens".
Quote:
if I understood the procedure correctly, the entire "fender" hinges up to access bulb replacement, right?
That is correct. Every lower panel from end to end is hinged to swing upward ...some are simply baggage doors and others are just fastened a little more securely.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

It appears my "fenders" do not hinge. I cannot locate any screws, either on the outside or inside the fender. I've looked from the bottom of it to the top, no screw heads to be found. I guess I'll have Stouts RV/Camping World replace it when we return next week to have the towed base-plate and wiring kit installed. Hopefully I'll be allowed to watch so I know how in the future.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

If I had mine here I would take some pics ...how are those panels attached? I looked at a few for sale videos on line and thought I was seeing similar setup to mine. Mine have a metal piece, bent to a right angle, running up each side with screws into the metal framework of the coach and screws into the side lip of the panel from top to bottom ...the side lip where the latch bolts are on the compartment doors. Are there rivets rather than screws there on yours?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

AHA! Paul you turned the lights on. I remember opening the compartment door next to the fender and seeing screw heads on the angle iron adjoining the fender. Tomorrow I'll remove those screws (both sides) and see it it releases the fender sides. I do not see any hinges above the fender though. I was looking for the screw heads on the exterior of the fender, even inside.
Man, this being a newby again sucks.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Paul I have the lamp out. It does not have a cover lens, it is contained in a sealed metal container with the exterior clear cover part of the container. Tomorrow I'll visit my local CARQUEST store and buy a new lamp. Thank you again for your assistance.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It does not have a cover lens, it is contained in a sealed metal container with the exterior clear cover part of the container.
Interesting ... mine both have a lens, and good thing because the outer lens of the "container" is missing on one! I'll be surprised if you find it at a car parts place. I would look at Lowes, etc as it seems to be a landscape or track lighting bulb.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Mission accomplished! Now to figure out why the large floodlights in the rear air spoiler do not work. I had DW start the coach, hold the foot brake, release the parking brake, put tranny in reverse_no floodlights. I've fiddled with every switch and knob in the drivers reach to no avail. Tomorrow out comes the 12V tester and try to find where the wiring begins. It could be a long session___.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Only the Freedom models had the spoiler so I can't help on the lights. I have seen them on other UF's so no doubt they are original. I would think they are linked to either the backup lights or the docking lights. Have you talked with Winnie Owner Relations?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I'll phone them tomorrow, I found the 800 number thanks.

Tags
lights