Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 67
Are space heaters safe at 1500w for hours.

I have a space heater from West Marine that is a great little heater. Variable speed and variable speed the highest of which is 1500w.

I am wondering what experience and expertise people have had running these heaters at 1500 watts for hours on end, say 4 or 5 or more. I am not sure just how good the wiring is in our 03' Itasca Suncruiser. It seems very wel made but I prefer to use the heater at 1500 for shorter times to bring the room up to temp then drop back down to 900 watts.

I am not seeing any red flags like hot wiring and so forth but I can only feel the wiring on the chord running from the wall to the heater.

Just wondering what others think about this.
Here is a link to the heater. West Marine: Portable Cabin Heater Product Display 710 1662&Ne=712&Ntt=Vents&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLToke nURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=543

Thanks Keith
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
TXiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 432
Should not be a problem. We never set them on or near a combustible material. The heaters all have an internal safety that should shut them down if the unit over heats.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
NLOVNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 152
I would say yes. I've run mine at the 1500w setting all day & night with no issues of hot/warm wiring or overheating.

Lori-
__________________
Lori -
FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
Virtual Grand Tour 45RL
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
BigSkyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western Montana on the Divide
Posts: 22
I've run my 1500 watt heater up to 24 hours straight without issue. If the wiring got hot the resistance would increase then the breaker should open the circuit. I think you would be safe.
__________________
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buxton, North Dakota
Posts: 1,037
You don't have to worry about the coach wiring. It is protected up to it's capacity with a breaker. Keep an eye on the plug and heater cord, if they don't get hot you are ok.
__________________
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 605 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
F53/V10
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher
 
WindRVer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Not all heaters have an internal overtemp. It depends on if they are "shop" heaters or "residential" heaters. This feature can be found on the side of the box or in the instruction manual when purchasing. I found this out the bad way, but luckily only a blanket got ruined. Generally, if it is UL listed though, it will have the overtemp switch.
I recommend ceramic heaters. They work well and are fairly safe. Another good feature is the "tipover" feature that will shut down the heater if it falls over.
As for running it at 1500 watts all the time, it was designed to do so. The wiring in your camper should be designed to hold whatever current is designated on the breaker. Simple math would say a 1500 watt heater is drawing roughly 12.5 amps. My outlets are all on 15 amp breakers, so I imagine yours are also. You may want to make sure it is on a separate breaker from the microwave unit, as this may cause it to trip if you use both at once.

Good Luck!
__________________
2008 Dodge 2500 Diesel | 2010 Montana Mountaineer 36 DBQ
Two adults, two kids, two dogs, a cat, and four slides - full-timing in style!
WindRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 67
Great input everyone, thanks so much. I feel better.
It does have tip over shutoff. It was designed to run on a boat and be safe under those conditions. I will double check the over temp but I will be surprised if is doesn't have it. I agree with checking the chord and socket to be sure. I do that from time to time and I am very careful with placement.

Thanks again for all the input. We just can't be too safe in our coaches.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
DAN L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 721
i have read on this forum about some 110v receptacles overheating at the 1500w setting. it seems like some of these receptacles use push in wiring that cannot be tightened like you can with a screw and eye connection.
to be safe, i run 3 ceramic heaters at night while we are sleeping at the 750w setting.
when we are away, i run 1 or 2 heaters on the 750w setting to keep our furkids happy.
when we are awake and attending the heaters, i sometimes run them at their 1500w setting.
i had the bathroom gfi receptacle for the 1500w hair dryer smoke. the hair dryer was not on high at the time.
__________________
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: North East Indiana
Posts: 762
I have been running 1500 watt ceramic heaters for long hours, like all night for years now. Have never had a hint of a problem and I do check for problems.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 851
I have 4 electric space heaters in my rig just now.. Here is the inventory
1: 2000 watt, yes, I measured it at 199x watts,
2: 1500 watt, one t-stat controled, one not
1: 150 yes, 150 watt, no T-stat

Strangly the 2000 watt one runs on a 15 amp circuit and does not trip the breaker... This I find amazing. (I do have a 20 amp line for it)

As for the wires in an RV.. Well...... I truly do not like the way they wired my rig. the push-in connections on the outlets leave a lot to be desired.. but I see no sign of issues
__________________
Home is where I park it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
MrTransistor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 504
I also had the GFCI in the bath area smoke (internally, not the connections). Replaced with one from Home Depot and since it was feeding the right front side of the coach, I bypassed the GF for the additional outlets. They are now protected by the main breaker for that circuit and I no longer loose power to my computer if the GFCI trips from the hair dryer.
__________________
Have Fun!! Mark & Donalda 04 Horizon 40WD no TOW 90,900+ miles and counting
Triumph Bonneville & Susuki S40 on the back
MrTransistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
bgsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Home is were we park it
Posts: 59
We have run 2- 1500 watt heaters for 7-8 hours no problems sometimes on a 30 amp service we have to watch the total electrical draw we put on but have had no problems
__________________
Barry and Glennice, Kit and Kaboodle (Lhaso Apso's)
2008 Winnebago Tour WD, GMC Terrain toad
bgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wilds of West Kentucky
Posts: 46
We've one in the barn running around the clock keeping the entire area, and hence the motorhome, somewhat warm and cozy . . . Above the below freezing temperature outisde, anyway.
__________________
2009 Winnebago Tour 40TD
Pulling a Ford Escape Hybrid with Blue Ox stuff
Rockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it safe or not safe ewaldo Winnebago General Discussions 18 11-01-2013 04:11 AM
Draining water heaters maybesoon Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 6 05-14-2011 12:47 PM
Water heaters off but water's hot lthrnk Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 19 08-26-2007 05:12 AM
I've got 1 1/2 hours to learn! Ol'Joe General Maintenance and Repair 6 06-08-2007 02:50 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×