Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone purchased a Winnebago towable?

If anyone has purchased a Winnebago towable trailer, please post your experiences and thoughts!! I'm somewhat new to this forum and posting this message so that other Winnebago towable owners may find it when searching for info on Winnebago trailers or have questions.

I'll be posting more info on my Winnie 2201DS after I get to take it out for a maiden voyage in about a week. DW and I are looking forward to getting it out and spending some time organizing our gear. We have to store it away from our home, so it's not easy to spend time working on it unless we take it out and spend some time at a campground.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just got a 2014 Winnebago Lite Five 26FWRKS and love it! Have some minor issues but they'll be corrected easy enough.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations on the new fifth wheel. I just looked at some pics of that model and they do look nice. Some of the interior is very similiar to the Winnie trailer line. So, what are the minor issues that have popped up so far?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Towable

Hello!
Yes, we have a 2013 Raven 3300CK. We've been traveling in it since June 12 from Las Vegas. We do love it - perfectly comfortable, and all the storage is great. We are full time in it until at least the end of November when our home in Florida is complete. The floor plan works perfectly for my husband and I, and it tows like a dream behind our GMC, DENALI, 2500 HD, Duramax. There have been minor issues, but Winnebago has set us up for the warranty repairs Sept. 9 here in the Denver area, where we are at the moment.
Good luck and congratulations. Have fun on the maiden voyage!
Raven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have the 2101FBS----we love it! We find it to be a well made, comfy camper. Right now it's at a seasonal site---so haven't towed it except for when we purchased it and drove 3 hours to the site--no problems at that time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	45369  
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Us too

Just picked up our 2101FBS last Wednesday in Tallahassee (home of the NOLES). Stayed 2 nights there at the beautiful Big Oak Campground, courtesy of Camping World. Had to too get about three minor problems taken care of, a loose AC vent in bathroom, loose kitchen sink tightened, and broken flapper on kitchen vent replaced. Made 300 mile trip back to S. Florida very smoothly. Hardly know its behind my F150. Seems very well constructed. Traded in a 17" Casita and that is like going from an efficiency apartment to a ranch style home. LOL
labcdef24242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcdef24242 View Post
Just picked up our 2101FBS last Wednesday in Tallahassee (home of the NOLES). Stayed 2 nights there at the beautiful Big Oak Campground, courtesy of Camping World. Had to too get about three minor problems taken care of, a loose AC vent in bathroom, loose kitchen sink tightened, and broken flapper on kitchen vent replaced. Made 300 mile trip back to S. Florida very smoothly. Hardly know its behind my F150. Seems very well constructed. Traded in a 17" Casita and that is like going from an efficiency apartment to a ranch style home. LOL
Was it the sink or the faucet that was loose? Our kitchen faucet seems to have a lot of play (vertically) and I can't figure out how to tighten it. If yours was the same, any info you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses!
Just as a point of information, I've been in contact with Winnebago about having a ladder installed on my 2201DS. Yesterday, they emailed me and gave me a price of $212 for the ladder and installation at the factory. Since the factory is only around 200 miles from us, I'm going to schedule an installation and make it a stop as part of a trip.

I also learned that even if your unit has the enclosed underbelly, there isn't a heat vent to the area. I may try to find out if it's possible to make one.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

loose faucet

Yes it was the faucet. It rattled around as if the nut at the bottom had not been tightened. speaking of the unheated underbelly, you could probably drop thru the floor right at the furnace if it is like ours. the furnace is just outside of the bathroom by bathroom door and the vent goes into the bathroom and you could probably put a Y right at the bathroom vent and go down. I will look into that if we decide to venture out of Florida in the winter.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcdef24242 View Post
Yes it was the faucet. It rattled around as if the nut at the bottom had not been tightened. speaking of the unheated underbelly, you could probably drop thru the floor right at the furnace if it is like ours. the furnace is just outside of the bathroom by bathroom door and the vent goes into the bathroom and you could probably put a Y right at the bathroom vent and go down. I will look into that if we decide to venture out of Florida in the winter.
Thanks for the idea. I'll be looking at options next week when we get the trailer out and take a shakedown cruise. I'm not really worried about it too much as we don't do winter camping, but having some heat go into the underbelly could help in early spring/late fall camping or when traveling from frigid north to warmer south in the winter!!

When in doubt, I would leave the water system winterized until I'm out of extended freezing temperature country!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

2451 Minnie Winnie

We've got the 2451DS, a little bigger than yours and a 2013 model. We like it. We had the usual fit and finish problems when we picked it up and we're new to trailering so there has been a lot to learn. We started a blog about our experiences minnietravels.com if you're interested.

Bill
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Jim, posted a comment on your blog. Should have simply posted it here. Will do better next time.
Randy
Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Purchased 2451bhs

We just purchased a 2451bhs. We plan to take it to DC for Thanksgiving. Our dream is to travel over the next two years and show our two girls how wonderful our country is
Howlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We bought a 2101 DS 2014 model and love it. So far no problems with fit or finish. Really like the floor plan and room even when slide is in. Trying to decide if we need to winterize when we have it plugged in and the heat on. We did get it with an enclosed and heated underbelly so waiting to hear back from folks if it is necessary to winterize. My husband says we don't need to winterize if we have it plugged in and the heat on.
bandsmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsmills View Post
We bought a 2101 DS 2014 model and love it. So far no problems with fit or finish. Really like the floor plan and room even when slide is in. Trying to decide if we need to winterize when we have it plugged in and the heat on. We did get it with an enclosed and heated underbelly so waiting to hear back from folks if it is necessary to winterize. My husband says we don't need to winterize if we have it plugged in and the heat on.
If you live in a cold climate and don't plan to use it much, I would put the pink stuff in and not worry. Will take a lot of gas to heat all winter, and a lot of wear on heating system. The pink stuff is cheap at Walmart and 3 to four gallons will do most any rig. And very simple job once you get used to it.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 2451 brilliant yellow and we love it. It was almost a year old when we bought it back in July, a veteran of many shows and so far we've just been running it around here getting the bugs worked out of it. Our rig is the 2012 Ford Expedition Limited (factory tow package) V-8 with an Elite weight distribution hitch and two friction sway bars. We had a bit of a sway problem but we found if we put some weight (food, luggage, water, etc 200-300 lbs) over the trailer wheels vs upfront or in the truck, the sway was gone. It just needed a little more weight on the springs.

If you are going to put your girls in the bunks, hopefully you upgraded to better mattresses, ours are only about 2 inches thick and hard. We only use the bunks for luggage and storage so no big deal, but you might need a new mattress or foam tops to make them useable.

We also added braces to the master bed. It's only built out of 1x3's and the gas lifts put a great deal of strain on the top board when you push the bed down. Ours broke. We put a 1x3 vertical brace on both sides right under the gas lift attachment.

Black and grey water tanks must be flushed with fresh water (two gallons or so in each) when you are dumping them, otherwise the indicators get incorrect.

Light bulbs, the bulbs were way too bright on ours, 14-18 watts, two in each fixture. They burn up a lot of juice and they got hot. We swapped all of them out for one 4 watt bulb in each fixture and a bunch of battery powered LED units for other lighting. A guy on the other thread swopped all his with LED bulbs for about $1.50 each.

Always, always, clean off the slide out before sliding it back in. On ours there is just the two wiper blades on the top (probably yours too). We had a twig the size of a pencil get in between the seals on top and wound up with a couple of quarts of water inside before we could get control of it. We're going to add an internal seal on top, Winnebago put them on the sides but not the top, doesn't make a lot of sense. We're considering adding an awning top too.

Anyway there is another thread, Winnebago Minnie Travel Trailers that has a lot of tips, etc. so you should take a look at that one. We have a blog going about our travels minnietravels.com and eventually I want to start a thread of just upgrades and fixes for the Minnie Winnie.

Again Congrats on choosing a great trailer. Any questions just drop me a line.

[email protected]

Bill
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
We have a 2013 2451 brilliant yellow and we love it. It was almost a year old when we bought it back in July, a veteran of many shows and so far we've just been running it around here getting the bugs worked out of it. Our rig is the 2012 Ford Expedition Limited (factory tow package) V-8 with an Elite weight distribution hitch and two friction sway bars. We had a bit of a sway problem but we found if we put some weight (food, luggage, water, etc 200-300 lbs) over the trailer wheels vs upfront or in the truck, the sway was gone. It just needed a little more weight on the springs.

If you are going to put your girls in the bunks, hopefully you upgraded to better mattresses, ours are only about 2 inches thick and hard. We only use the bunks for luggage and storage so no big deal, but you might need a new mattress or foam tops to make them useable.

We also added braces to the master bed. It's only built out of 1x3's and the gas lifts put a great deal of strain on the top board when you push the bed down. Ours broke. We put a 1x3 vertical brace on both sides right under the gas lift attachment.

Black and grey water tanks must be flushed with fresh water (two gallons or so in each) when you are dumping them, otherwise the indicators get incorrect.

Light bulbs, the bulbs were way too bright on ours, 14-18 watts, two in each fixture. They burn up a lot of juice and they got hot. We swapped all of them out for one 4 watt bulb in each fixture and a bunch of battery powered LED units for other lighting. A guy on the other thread swopped all his with LED bulbs for about $1.50 each.

Always, always, clean off the slide out before sliding it back in. On ours there is just the two wiper blades on the top (probably yours too). We had a twig the size of a pencil get in between the seals on top and wound up with a couple of quarts of water inside before we could get control of it. We're going to add an internal seal on top, Winnebago put them on the sides but not the top, doesn't make a lot of sense. We're considering adding an awning top too.

Anyway there is another thread, Winnebago Minnie Travel Trailers that has a lot of tips, etc. so you should take a look at that one. We have a blog going about our travels minnietravels.com and eventually I want to start a thread of just upgrades and fixes for the Minnie Winnie.

[email protected]

Bill

Awesome! Thank you for your comments. It is very hard to find someone who has experience with this model (2451bhs). Nice blog that you have. We spent one night in the camper since picking it up (two weeks ago). There is soooo much to learn. We are newbies the girls have not said anything (yet) about the mattresses. The unit was winterized when we picked it up so we just used the furnace, TV, and lights at the campground on our way home. We would like to take it south to Florida within the next month. We are researching places that are kid-friendly in the winter; though, it seems much easier to find 55 and over spots. We are homeschooling while on this journey and would like to see historical / scientific places of interests. I wish that Winnebago had included a "how to" manual or hosted a site with video tutorials. I guess that we will learn with experience though.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

The state and county parks are usually very kid friendly. Big RV parks tend to cater to the elder set as they stay in one place longer or like Disney they have an attraction or big time amenities. Most of the historical sites in FL have a state park nearby. They are also cheaper than the big RV resorts. Here's a site to check them out.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Your dealer should have included a manual on the trailer as well as manuals on all of the accessories (fridge, stove, heater, A/C, etc.) It's a lot to read but it's all important. Keep it all in a binder on the trailer someplace easy to find.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 12-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
The state and county parks are usually very kid friendly. Big RV parks tend to cater to the elder set as they stay in one place longer or like Disney they have an attraction or big time amenities. Most of the historical sites in FL have a state park nearby. They are also cheaper than the big RV resorts. Here's a site to check them out.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Your dealer should have included a manual on the trailer as well as manuals on all of the accessories (fridge, stove, heater, A/C, etc.) It's a lot to read but it's all important. Keep it all in a binder on the trailer someplace easy to find.

Good luck,

Bill
Thanks for the link! We plan to leave in February to spend a few months in Florida. This will help out with planning our destinations.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

[email protected]

Bill

GREAT Idea; any updates on the thread of just upgrades and fixes for the Minnie Winnie.
BobbyD16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winnebago