Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I need new house batteries for my 2005 Itasca Horizon. It has the slide out battery drawer. Has anyone installed 6 volt golf cart batteries in series? The 6 volt batteries are taller may not fit. I was hoping someone else had tried this.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I need new house batteries for my 2005 Itasca Horizon. It has the slide out battery drawer. Has anyone installed 6 volt golf cart batteries in series? The 6 volt batteries are taller may not fit. I was hoping someone else had tried this.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #3

LK23.

Why would you need new batteries on a 2005, they have a 3 year warranty? The first year is free, the next 2 are pro rated.

If worse comes to worse and you have to buy new with out Winnebagos support; for the sake of keeping things simple, stay with the 12 volt batteries. Just go to wally world and get their best deep cycle/starting battery and save the money and all the other head aches.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The dealer "mistakenly" installed two new cranking batteries with one of the "original and probably bad Winnebago deep-cycle batteries" They were depleted on our first trip. I have read that you can get more amperage out of four six volt golf cart batteries than the original three 12 volt batteries. I want to avoid future battery problems and get the best set-up possible.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I to have a 05 horizon and though my batteries are ok I also would like to put the 6 volts in. On my last winne I replaced the 2 12 volt with 4 6 volt and it was a huge difference. The tray sould hold four if you set them side by side and 2 deep. The height should be just enough, I'm going to sams club today to measure a 6 volt to see if they will fit. On another note how do you like your coach, I've had mine 2 months and have 3500 miles on it and so far only a few problems. Mainly the keyless entry just will not work.

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Lucchese,

Let me know what you find out about the 6 volt batteries. I have heard that Trojan T-105 batteries are great. You may want to read the following web site:

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

We love our Horizon. We have about the same mileage and no major problems. Yes, our keyless entry pad does not work either. I have been instructed to perform a wiring workaround but it has been so cold here that I haven't had a chance to do it.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I changed out the 12 volt on my gas Adventurer to 6 volt and have been very pleased. The Trojan is an excellent choice, however, I was close to a Camping Word when mine died so I went with the Interstate 6 volt whicj has similar specs to the Trojan. Most golf carts us Trojan battteries so that is why they are so popular and reliable.
One note, the 6 volt is taller so your holddown rod will be too short. The fix is simple. Go to a hardware store and bu coupling nuts, which are simply nuts that are about 1/2 inch long. Get the right size to fit your exsisting rod and mesure how much more rod you need and either bu a bolt the correct length or by a length of threaed rod and cut it to fit. Avery simple fix. Also, the 6 volt Interstate Battteries have a quick release cap cover that lets you remove and replace the caps in one quick snap. Makes checking the water a breeze.
One last note, the 6-volt batteries did not ahve a carry strap so you need a way to lower then into your coach tray. I ahd a piece of velcro about 3 feet long that was the same width as the slots on the side of the battery so i put it through, locked the velcor onto itself and set them in and the remove the velcro. Lacking that you can us your belt if it is narrow enought to fit through the slots.
Good Luck. We get about 3 times the reserve on these that we got on the 12 volt ones.
SeaRay
Old 01-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Here's an interesting web site concerning batteries:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote