Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone do a headlight update on a 03 style?

Just bought a Cheiftain and am not a fan of the dated looking dual headlights. Anyone ever update to the single 04 style or at least a halogen update for the stock setup?
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some years ago a man posted pictures of before and after his upgrade, which involved a redesign of the front fiberglass cap headlamp area. I think he had halogen lamps installed. If I were to upgrade my headlamps I would buy an LED headlamp system.
DW had them on her Lincoln LTZ and they were amazingly bright.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Was going to try and get a 04 headlight. Looks like you could almost just cut out the piece between the two lights and fit it right in??? Then just fiberglass in the little hole you'd have on the top and bottom where you cut out the center piece, tape it off right around the curved line of the headlight opening and then just shoot that area with paint. The curved line of the headlight should give enough transition that you wouldn't notice the new paint. If it did show a thin pinstripe where the two paints meet should clean it up. And of course what will probably be the biggest pain, getting the new headlight securely mounted. Anyone???
Old 06-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My original idea was to convert my 03 UA Mercury headlights to the 04 UA style projection fixtures by using 04 parts. Some research showed that would be way expensive & complicated. I took it to Xtreme Paint & Graphics in Nacogdoches TX. They specialize in headlight conversions. They did a super job, installing Hella projection lamps with some fiberglass work.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'd be happy with your before lights!!! The dual square lights on mine remind me of something from the 80's...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7522708_18.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	166370  
Old 06-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I'd be happy with your before lights!!! The dual square lights on mine remind me of something from the 80's...
My before lights were poor from the start, even after I put brighter HIR bulbs in the low beams. After they got yellowed the shape made them impossible to polish well. Then one came loose from the fiberglass. I decided it was replacement time. At least most square seal beams don't yellow like the plastic headlight "buckets" do.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for jumping in Paul, you're the one I was talking about, but couldn't remember your name, sorry. I've been wanting to have the same mod performed but DW says I'm already spending too much money on my '32 Chevy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I know you're wanting a different/newer look but the '04/'05 headlights are horrible. They put out horrible light and they won't really upgrade the looks of your coach very much. Chaps light upgrade looks great, that would be what I would shoot for if I just had to get rid of the 4x6 rectangles.

IMO your best bet is a simple sealed beam upgrade. Replacement LED's are available for fairly cheap. $90 for all 4. They will give you lots more light and look like an upgrade too.

You could also go for some sealed beam projectors. More money but more light and they look better than stock.

I realize you are after looks over more light but I think you may be disappointed in the stock '04 winnebago headlights.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post

I do like that look!!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I do like that look!!
Your headlight upgrade looks fantastic. I'm sure it puts out way more/better light too. Very nice job.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Didn't realize they make the projectors in the 4x6, I think I could live with those and save myself a lot of work and $$$ Thanx for the tip!!! I'll second AFChaps setup looks very nice...

Tags
light