Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Need some input. Have a 06 Meridian DP 36. Bought new 6 months ago. I leave it plugged in since it has the converter that charges the batteries. Never had a problem until now. Went to the garage and first thing I always check is the voltage on the panel. 9.7 and 9.2. Uh oh! Figured something is wrong. No lights, no start etc. Put a charger on the chassy batteries for 3 hrs. and they are still charging. Question: after a lot of research on this topic on this forum, would I be correct to assume I have a converter problem? The batteries have always charged in the past and never had a problem. It would appear the charging system is not working since the batteries are almost dead right? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Need some input. Have a 06 Meridian DP 36. Bought new 6 months ago. I leave it plugged in since it has the converter that charges the batteries. Never had a problem until now. Went to the garage and first thing I always check is the voltage on the panel. 9.7 and 9.2. Uh oh! Figured something is wrong. No lights, no start etc. Put a charger on the chassy batteries for 3 hrs. and they are still charging. Question: after a lot of research on this topic on this forum, would I be correct to assume I have a converter problem? The batteries have always charged in the past and never had a problem. It would appear the charging system is not working since the batteries are almost dead right? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I can't answer your question whether you have an inverter/charger problem, or a battery problem, or other.

I will say that there is a lot of debate on this forum relative to whether a coach should be continuously plugged in, as there may be an issue relative to boiling out the wet cell batteries.

I do not keep my coach continuously plugged in. I like to cycle the batteries being plugged in to AC for 2-3 days, and then unplugged for 1-2 weeks or so. In between I shut off the batteries (coach and engine) via the battery shutoff switches.

On my prior coach, my batteries lasted 4+ years with this process. Time will tell on my new coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A couple of further questions, are the chassis and the house batteries dead? Your converter will not charge if the batteries drop below a certian level, I think it is around 10 volts. I myself am very critical of the batteries that come from the dealer in a new coach. I too have an 06' Meridian, and had lots of problems with the batteries that were delivered with the coach. It's my opinion that dealers beat the heck out of the batteries while the rig sits on the lot and gets taken to shows. Lots of abuse and no service on the batteries unless they fail. And then only the minimal to get them going. I have had to replace all three house batteries after I had the unit about a year. The chassis batteries were both replaced when I had the rig about 4 months when one of the starting batteries EXPLODED in the middle of the night at a campground.

I agree with Don though, I don't But if your house batteries were dumping on you, the chassis batteries get nothing as well. As far as the converter is concerned, after I put in fresh batteries my converter has been perfect as well. It float charges, drops to a bulk charge, then drops to zero when the batteries are fully charged. No issues. Before you throw a bunch of money at a new charger, try replacing the weak/dead batteries.

It's a better bet. Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sometime in model year 2006, Winnie started adding a device (Trik-L-Start) that charges the chassis batteries along with the house batteries. Earlier coaches would *not* charge the chassis batteries while on shore power. They would only be charged by running the engine.

Are your house batteries being charged? If they are, then you either don't have the Trik-L-Start, you do have one and it's defective, or you have a bad battery or batteries.

If your house batteries aren't being charged then you probably have an inverter/charger problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Fun Time: Hi Denny, before you replace anything, do a specific gravity test on your batts. Hygrometers are relatively cheap and a good tool to have around an RV with all its batts. I personally use battery minders to keep my batts up to charge, they shut off when not needed.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

fun time,
What amperage draw are you seeing on your EMS display, assuming you are not plugged into a 50 amp circuit? I have a similar problem, amp draw plugged into either 20 or 30 amp is 1 amp with no other 110 volt device on. That should have triggered questions on my part but then hind sight is always 20/20. I have additional problems, see my post in this forum "refrigerator problem" and look for similarities and the responses I received. I believe my charging and refrigerator problems are related. I am currently at Forrest City for repairs, in fact the coach is in the shop as I write. I will post the repair actions when they are completed.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE:
Thanks guys for all your replies and help. .
1. Been on the phone to Winny (Steve). This guy was fantastic. Support, support and more support from these people. I cannot say enough good about their support. Here was the problem and how we determined it. This may help some others with a similar system.
Before I put the charger on the chassis batteries (all batteries were reading between 9.7-9.2 chassis and house) I noticed the 10 amp. battery charger I was using was taking a long time to bring the chassis batteries back up to normal. After some detective work thanks to Steve, I later found out I was not only charging the chassis batteries but also the house batteries. What? We learned the selinoid located in the front box above the gen. (its function is to separate the two battery banks) was not releasing and hence the battery charger was charging all the batteries at the same time.

The second problem as Sarge eluded to, with the coach unplugged and all the batteries fully charged to 12.4 volts both house and chassis, I plugged in the coach, checked the voltage again and sure enough same voltage (12.4) which indicates the converter is not charging the batteries. If it were functioning properly, the voltage would increase at least 1 full volt or to 13.4. So, if you want to know if your converter is working that is how you tell. I can't speak for those of you who have the converters that do not have the automatic charging systems.
Sarge: I also had them replace all my batteries 6 days after delivery. The same problem as you mentioned. You are right on money about the not charging below 10 volts. Actually, I was told it is somewhere around 11 volts for what it is worth.
John: yes, Steve at Winny said from late 2005 the Meridians have the Trik-L-Start within the converters. Don't know about other models.
Homer: Before I charged them I used the Hydrometer but could not test chassis batts as they are sealed. Thanks friend.
Fleetman: Great question: Was showing 0-1amp before and still showing the same now. Once I get the selinoid and coverter fix that should change. Sorry for the lenghty reply but I thought this information could help others in the future and did not want to leave any thing out although I probably did.
Pusherman: I agree with your comments. In my case the coach gets driven at least once a month and then we winter in Fl. If it sat for a couple of months plugged in and no usage or battery drain that could be hard on the batts although all you boaters know boats can sit for months at the dock plugged in with few problems other than keeping the batteries topped off. Thanks to all for your help. Truly appreciated
Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Fun Time: Thanks Denny for bringing us up to speed on the problem. Some good points made for keeping in mind when checking equipment. Glad you "got 'er done".
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

fun time,
The fix to my problem was to replace the battery charger/voltage converter (charger/converter). If you still show 0 to 1 amp after the solenoid repair I think the charger/converter is your problem.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Several of our friends and ourselves had to replace our inverters. If you have a Demensions inverter that may be your problem. They charge $461 for a rebuild and you take it out and pay the freight back. Sure hope the Demented inverter is not your problem.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Fun time, Thanks for the reply on the diagnostics and solutions. I will be putting those in the brain housing group for future reference.

01 adventurer 35U
tun75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Beabop: The good news is my coach is still in warranty so cost is not the issue and Winny is sure converter and selinoid are my problems. I know those Dimension converters are very expensive. Question for you:
You mentioned twice Dimensions "inverter"? Do you mean "converter"? If so, have you ever replaced the converter yourself? If so, how complicated was it? I looked it over and it does not seem to tough. My dealer is backlogged so it will be two weeks before they can get me in. I spoke to Winny and they might be talked into letting me install the selinoid and coverter myself so I can get back on the road for an upcoming trip we have planned. Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated